It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Hypothyroid, a Cyster, and desperate.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
    Tough Lady
    (female)

Tough Lady HB User
    Hypothyroid, a Cyster, and desperate.

Hello everyone and boy, am I glad I have found you. Please forgive my duplicate posting - I have posted this message on the Thyroid board as well as I am so desperate for help and advice.

Long story coming up:

Ever since my late teens I have suffered from continual tiredness, as well as weight problems, but my active lifestyle meant that my weight never got too serious. I'd cycle to college, do a lot of sport at college, then come home at four pm and sleep for two hours before carrying on with the rest of my evening.

As I got older, however, and my family got bigger, it became harder and harder to stay at a healthy weight. After my third child was born, I was diagnosed hypothyroid, following a bout of PPT. Eureka - NOT!! Blood tests were lost, notes were lost, and, by the time I had been diagnosed, I had put on three stone (42 lbs) and my long dormant PCOS also came into play.

Since then, although I gained a brief respite after taking up running (but then my body adjusted) my weight has spiralled right out of control. I started to put onw eight again whilst TTC my fourth child - still a runner (3 miles a day - every day) and when I got pregnant, I became so very ill with hyperemesis that I could no longer go running. During my pregnancy, my weight stayed quite stable, but, after my son was born, my weight just snowballed - rapidly. The endo I was seeing at the time told me that 'No-one in Belsen ever got fat!' and that I could always just NOT eat!! Hardly useful advice.

But it has now got to the point where I am almost too fat to move. I weigh 18st 8lbs - 260lbs. On a size 5'7" frame that gives me a BMI of over 40. And serious health issues, as you can imagine.

So, over the last few weeks - and not for the first time, obviously - I have been extremely careful about my eating (and I confess, I am not always so good), and, initially, dropped a few pounds. Not for long, though, back they came! Last night, I went to the local GP diet clinic. Forgive me, but I am going to cut and paste what I have written elsewhere about that experience:

The nurse was lovely, but, when she weighed me on her scales, they were different from mine and even higher than the docs two weeks ago. Which was hard, even though, I know, all scales are different, and that I should rely only on one set. Also, I weigh myself in the mornings and this was in the evening.

As long as they show a loss next time, that's all we need.

But she asked if I felt that there were any obstacles to my losing weight, such as poor motivation or willpower etc, and I said 'I am hypothyroid and have Syndrome X'.

And her face fell.

She was really, really nice about it. Very understanding. And she said that it is hard to lose weight with either one of those medical conditions, let alone the two together. (Which, of course, I do know). When she asked about my meds, and realised I was on T3 as well as T4, she was even more sympathetic.

So it wasn't that she upset me, not at all.

It's just that it's so unfair. For one thing, I wouldn't be like this if I had had proper medical treatment at the time of having PP Thyroiditis; if I'd got the medicine I need to stop the weight gain before the PCOS got 'activated' so to speak.

But the thing that really gets me is my stupid, stupid body that has never worked properly and never will. I have to spend my life trapped in this ugly mess and I hate it. I'm perfectly capable of the necessary willpower - I didn't manage to run three miles a day, almost every day, through not trying, or not being committed or motivated enough, now, did I? But even then I couldn't fend it off, and, whilst the fourth pregnancy was indeed an unwise thing to do, did I have to be punished quite so brutally for it?

The fact is, that, whilst I am going to lose weight somehow, and please God, keep it off, it's unlikely I will ever look normal, be able to find clothes that fit, or be able to describe myself as anything remotely approaching attractive.

The other women at the clinic al looked so normal - size 16ish, in proportion. Me, I could audition for the 'alien' part and not have to wear a costume.

I hate myself. This stinks.

As you can see, I am having real issues with this, and, after seven years of hell, it is only my kids that make my life worth living.

Now, it has been suggested to me that I don't convert T4 to T3. I started taking 20mcg T3 whilst pregnant when my T3 levels dropped right down and I was hospitalised. I still take it, along with 175 mcg T4. I may also need Metformin (Glucophage) which I took before my last pregnancy, to sort out the insulin resistant part of the equation.

I am due to see my new endo tomorrow, at a different hospital, and have been searching the web frantically for help this evening. If anyone can help, please, please, do write something. I have to come out of my appointment tomorrow with a glimmer of hope, or I don't know what I am going to do.

Thanks for reading.

Never give up, never surrender!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
    arla27
    (female)

arla27 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid, a Cyster, and desperate.

Thanks for sharing yoour story. I also have PCOS and was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid. I actually self diagnosed my PCOS before it was confirmed by my doctor. I knew that all the problems I had were not normal and there had to be a connection. With every physical and pap smear I would complain but was always told to take BCP and join Weight Watchers. I even had my doctor jokingly tell me once that it was all the Spanish food I ate. That comment through me for a loop because I starved myself and excerised every day just to be a size 8. However there did come a point where I became, as best as I can describe, more in control of it. Both my internal medicine doctor and my gyno died in plane crashes, which was a set back after finding doctors who would listen to me but I am educated on PCOS so even with the tragic loss of both doctors I felt still in control. However this recent diagnosis of Hypothyroid has thrown me for a loop. I'm just learning about it and I feel like I've lost control of my body. I guess I'm grateful to know that my recent out of control weight gain has an explanation, but I'm terrified of the unknowns. I have an appointment with an Endocronologist on Monday, I hope to feel a little better and gain some of that control back.

Closed Thread