It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• PCOS and Thyroid Disorders...common?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
    RomyD
    (female)

RomyD HB User
    PCOS and Thyroid Disorders...common?

Hi All,

I am new to this messageboard...I'm so glad to see that there's a huge support group out there for PCOS folks like us!!

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. I had a TON of questions that could seemingly only be answered by the internet...***** had become my best friend.

Then, last month, I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma...thyroid cancer. I know that the endocrin system is totally intertwined...but wanted to know if any of you (or anyone you know) is in a similar position as me? I guess, in a way, I'm trying to find the correlation between the 2.

Just to fill you in...I had a thyroidectomy on 3/6 and am waiting to hear if I need the RAI treatment (crossing my fingers for "NO").

Hope to hear from you soon...
    ~RomyD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
    renae_s
    (female)

renae_s HB User
    Re: PCOS and Thyroid Disorders...common?

Hi,

I too have PCOS and thyroid cancer. Both conditions are difficult to live with at best; learn all you can, and understand that the people in your life will need to be educated as well. Make use of every avenue afforded by modern medicine; I have severe PCOS, and didn't lose weight until I was placed on elephant doses of Metformin, 2,000 mg/day. I exercised, ate like a bird, and lost 100 pounds. Laser treatments were needed for my facial hair, and I was placed on Spirinolactone for testosterone problems. I still had about 70 pounds to lose when the thryoid cancer diagnosis came; for 5 months my weight loss was put on hold as the cancer was treated. I had a thyroidectomy and RAI (it's not as bad as you think) and placed on 200 micrograms of Synthroid daily, and my weight loss has resumed. Try to keep a positive attitude and realize that conventional diet wisdom is not for you because of your dual metabolic disorders; for example, goal-setting, commonly touted as a way to lose weight, is terribly demoralizing to a person with such profound metabolic problems. Our metabolism dictates how fast the wieght comes off, not some goal or program, diet or other weight loss scheme. Give yourself time; like yourself for who you are, and let everything else follow. Above all, take care of yourself; get rid of stressful people, a stressful job, or anything that drains you. You need positive people in your life; utilize all the help you can get, and bug your doctors with questions. It's your body, your life. Let me know how you're doing, ok?

Renae

Old 04-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hello renae_s, and RomyD!

I also have PCOS, but I have a colloid nodule. I was suppose to have a biopsy on it but I was having terrible headaches and my endo thought I may have a sinus infection (and I have a cyst on the sinuses), and he was correct. So now he said he will try to do the biopsy before July 3 (this is my next appointment). All of my blood work has come out normal, and he will not test me for antibodies, and the ft3 and ft4 when I am on Yasmin 28. I am trying to decide should I let him do the biopsy or should I just change endo's now. Seems like most people want me to go to another endo. My grandmother, uncles, cousin all have thyroid problems. I have read that 1 out of 10 woman with PCOS will have a thyroid problem. I will never get an answer to this, but I just don't understand why is it that I have normal results pertaining to thyroid, but I have a colloid nodule. Can anyone explain this to me? Also, being on birth control does not help when having blood work done for thyroid.

We all have to support each other and it is nice to get that here on the boards. I wish my work was more understanding....they just don't seem to care. I feel like they don't believe me and think I am making this stuff up. So between the stress of not knowing what is wrong with me and my work not showing any concern for me. I have been trying to find a different job, but it is tough finding anything decent.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 05-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
    bln
    (female)

bln HB User

Romy-

It seems there is a link between thyroid cancer and PCOS.

I had a thyroidectomy last year -- papillary thyroid cancer. I didn't have the RAI because my tumor was in the grey area -- 50% of drs. would say to do it and 50% would say I can wait or not do it.

*****.org is a great resource.

We've been trying to get pregnant for a year and a half, after one miscarriage pre-cancer. Today I was diagnosed with PCOS. Hopefully the metaformin will help me get preg. And hopefully a mild case of PCOS is not that hard to live with?

I agree with the advice to hound your drs. with questions. Research your exact details. Get copies of all your tests. Get second opinions when needed. And get a therapist or try accupunture! It all helps.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
    RomyD
    (female)

RomyD HB User

Thanks everyone for responding. It's been a while since I've visited the boards because I've been dealing with a lot. Just a re-cap...I had the RAI back in May of 06 and was just given a clean bill of health for the thyroid cancer as of May of this year one thing to celebrate!!! i'm hoping to remain cancer free for the rest of my days...God willing.

I'm on 225mcg of synthroid everyday and am supposed to be taking Metformin 1000 mcg(?) a day but it makes me sick so I stopped. My endo put me on another med but it's almost $30 a bottle so I'm thinking about sticking it out on the Metformin.

My husband and I would like to start trying to get pregnant. It's scary because it's a road that I've been hesitant to take. My doctors keep telling me that I have to lose weight before we try...but if I keep waiting for the weight to fall we will never get pregnant. I am finding that I'm very lazy about doing things but am moderately active...yet still overweight. I can't blame it on anything else but my own will-power...so I gotta get movin to try to conceive naturally.

I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting off the pill and continuing with Metformin to actually conceive? I know it's a matter of body chemistry...and everyone is different...but, just curious.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
    confrustrated
    (female)

confrustrated HB User

Hi Romy
    It's good to hear that you are cancer free! I wanted to tell you, metformin side effects get better with time. Most everyone has the nausea and diarrhea at first, but it will go away. Eat when you take your pills, this helps with the nausea. Talk to your doctor about starting with a 500 mg pill and adding another after a week or two. This gives you a chance to get adjusted and the side effects are easier also. I can't give you any advice on the getting pregnant; we haven't been that lucky!
    Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hi Romy,

I am from the thyroid board too..........I am being worked up for thyroid cancer.......... It was always "suspected" that I had PCOS........ I was one of those mild cases........I was thin, had regular periods but did not ovulate monthly and had excessive hairiness for a blonde person........... labs mostly in normal limits........ I worked for an Endo and he told me I was mild PCOS. Also have had fat on my stomach for many years even though I was not overweight..... I am fortunate to have 3 kids.......... 2 are from GIFT procedure.......they are all grown now........

Well now I am struggling with my weight and have thyroid nodules.........and am starting into menopause I have high BP and high triglyerides.

After reading your posts I think there is a connection.

Here are my recent labs.........How high is high insulin?

Here is my Glucose
    Fasting 90 1/2 hour 151 1 hour 152 2 hour 121

Insulin Fasting 7 and 2 hour was 52 normal < 17 It says the 52 is High....

I also had a below normal Magnesium.........1.4 1.8 -3.0

Thanks................. Oleander

Closed Thread