It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• The exam for PCOS: (please help!!!)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User
    Angry The exam for PCOS: (please help!!!)

Hi everyone! I think that I may have PCOS. I'm not sure though -- the main thing that I have is excessive hair growth. It's not on my face though (aside from a small amount of upperlip hair, but I'm Spanish and Italian, so what can you expect??? lol). It's not thick, and it's not course... just DARK! It's almost like I have the normal "peach fuzz," but it's just darker than normal. I've also had a small amount of hair thinning on my head. Anyway, I'm under 16, I have very regular periods, I'm not overweight, I don't have skin tags, I don't have acne, etc., etc., etc., BUT both my mother and my aunt have had cysts on their ovaries! (Not officially PCOS though.)

This brings me to my question: I'm going for a visit with an endocrinologist that specializes in pediactric hormone imbalances, and I'd like to know what the exam will entail. I absolutely, 100%, without a doubt REFUSE to have any pelvic exam, internal outrasound, and/or genital examination... especially since this is a "teaching hospital" and there will be between 3 and 5 doctors present in the room. They can see all the hair they want, and take as much blood as I have to offer, but they're staying the heck away from below the belt. I read that if the patient is a virgin, they commonly opt to NOT do any sort of internal exams... is this true? I'm definitely a virgin, and I mean I'm not trying to be too descriptive here, but even using tampons can be painful for me, so I don't even know how they could physically fit an outrasound metal thing inside of me.

Is it a waste of time to even go (because this is all that the exam would consist of), or are there other ways to test for PCOS and other hormone imbalances? Also, have any of you had similar hesitancies about going to a doctor about this sort of thing? To say that I'm modest would officially qualify as the understatement of the century.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Last edited by Melissa765; 05-18-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
    Lor123
    (female)

Lor123 HB User
    Re: The exam for PCOS: (please help!!!)

Just relax , I don't think you will need a pelvic exam and I'm pretty sure the doctor will not need to look at your genitals, since there is really no way of detecting PCOS with a pelvic exam.
    Normally PCOS is detected by doing a blood test to check your hormone levels.
    Some doctors do like to do an abdominal ultrasound to check for cysts on the ovaries but I don't think you will need an internal one.
    You may want to have your mom or someone your close to come in the room with you. Most doctors won't have a problem with that, especially in dealing with people your age.
    I also wanted to tell you that you do not have to have all of the symptoms to have PCOS. In some woman PCOS only shows up in thier hormones and they don't have any of the classic signs.
    Also, be sure to talk with your doctor about feeling uncomfortable with certain exams I'm sure she will understand since she is probably used to working with young people.
    Good luck with your appointment.

Last edited by Lor123; 05-18-2006 at 06:48 PM.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User

THANKS!

Old 05-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
    Anti Social
    Veteran
    (female)

Anti Social HB UserAnti Social HB UserAnti Social HB User

Lori...I just wanted to respond to your comment about 'diagnosing' PCOS through blood results..I was tested for this after telling my GYN I have about 2 periods a year,I do NOT have any other sympton of this condition,im skinny,not overweight,no excessive hair and no acne..she tested and my hormone results came back 'suggestive' of PCOS.had a vaginal ultrasound and there were no cysts found...fast foward months later & a new GYN-she reviewed my history and said my last GYN was wrong & that I dont have PCOS & doesnt know why she would have diagnosed w/ me that,my hormones could have been out of whack at that particular time b/c I may have been ovulating or it could have been around that time of the month,so that would throw the results off track a bit..so my point is,you cant really go by blood work..there is no def' way to diagnose this so it makes it a whole lot harder..esp' for women like me who have been misdiagnosed

Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
    Lor123
    (female)

Lor123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anti Social
    Lori...I just wanted to respond to your comment about 'diagnosing' PCOS through blood results..I was tested for this after telling my GYN I have about 2 periods a year,I do NOT have any other sympton of this condition,im skinny,not overweight,no excessive hair and no acne..she tested and my hormone results came back 'suggestive' of PCOS.had a vaginal ultrasound and there were no cysts found...fast foward months later & a new GYN-she reviewed my history and said my last GYN was wrong & that I dont have PCOS & doesnt know why she would have diagnosed w/ me that,my hormones could have been out of whack at that particular time b/c I may have been ovulating or it could have been around that time of the month,so that would throw the results off track a bit..so my point is,you cant really go by blood work..there is no def' way to diagnose this so it makes it a whole lot harder..esp' for women like me who have been misdiagnosed
    Yes I agree, there is not always a way to tell definitly that you do or do not have PCOS because many different woman have many different symptoms.
    I have spoke to woman who have had the same problem as you. There are many woman who are diagnosed, undiagnosed and diagnosed again.
    Also, there are many woman with PCOS who at any given time may not have cysts on thier ovaries at all, so an ultrasound alone can not diagnose the syndrome.
    There are also alot of other conditions that can have many of the same symptoms of PCOS and that is why it is important to see an endocrinologist for a diagnosis.
    I also wanted to add: I am not overweight, I do not have acne or excess hair but I do have PCOS.

Last edited by Lor123; 05-23-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
    Lor123
    (female)

Lor123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anti Social
    Yes I agree, there is not always a way to tell definitly that you do or do not have PCOS because many different woman have many different symptoms.
    I have spoke to woman who have had the same problem as you. There are many woman who are diagnosed, undiagnosed and diagnosed again.
    Also, there are many woman with PCOS who at any given time may not have cysts on thier ovaries at all, so an ultrasound alone can not diagnose the syndrome.
    There are also alot of other conditions that can have many of the same symptoms of PCOS and that is why it is important to see an endocrinologist for a diagnosis.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User

Thanks for the replies! Any other opinions? The date is approaching, and they've been sending me all these forms; on all of them, it says to "prepare for a physical exam."

Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
    hope5756
    Veteran
    (female)

hope5756 HB User

Sorry i am readying this post late... have you had your exam yet??? if not, how old are you??? if you over 20 i would say you have nothing to worry about... a exam is is just where they basically look over your body... there is 100% NO pain what so ever... they usually do a pap smear... an listen to your breathing and your heart and check your breast for lumps and really easy things like that... i have PCOS and they found out i had it from an intervagional ultrasound, which if you have ever had sex before make the ultra sound fine... once again no pain what so ever... they looked at my olveries and could see several follies... which make it impossiable for me to ovulate... so they put me on clomid and after 6 months we are expecting out first child... hope all goes well with you... let me know how the exam was....

Old 07-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User
    Angry Re: The exam for PCOS: (please help!!!)

No, I haven't had the exam yet! It's scheduled for about a month away (geeze, apparently pediactric reproductive endocrinologists are pretty tough to get it with... lol). That being said, I'm under 17, I've never been sexually active, and even just using tampons is sometimes painful... which is why I want to avoid any vaginal exam at all. I'm also EXTREMELY modest, which is why I'm going to have to refuse any exam at all. All I want is thorough bloodwork done. When I called, they said that although they probably won't have to do a pelvic exam, they do breast exams for everyone who presents with excessive hair. I'm still going, but I'll just refuse when I get there. LOL I'll show them the hair on my back/stomach as well, but no clothes are coming off.

Do you think they'll still treat me (using other methods such as blood-work/EXTERNAL outrasound), or get all angry that I'm being so difficult???

Old 07-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
    hope5756
    Veteran
    (female)

hope5756 HB User

Well as far as i know blood work can NOT determin PCOS... i have had it for many years and i have never had the blood work done to check for it... being so young it sounds like you looked up on the internet what excessive hair can be attributed to... there is also NO CURE for PCOS... if you have it you will always have it, the only reason i went to see if i have PCOS is because i was trying to get pregnate for years and it wasnt happening... i think if i were you i would wait until you have had sex before and then go in to the doctor... even thought the vagional ultrasound does NOT hurt... you said that even tampons hurt you so i think you sould talk to you parents and see what they think you should do about it excessive hair... there may be a cream you can get... or you could get waxed done at a beauty or hair salon... but i know for a fact waxing will hurt more then the vagional exam

Closed Thread