HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/)
-   -   PCOS and Depo Provera (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/448778-pcos-depo-provera.html)

Staciarw 11-22-2006 08:53 AM

PCOS and Depo Provera

Hi, I am a newbie at this site. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2000. I had my son in 1998 by csection. I had some complications and was told by my doctor that I should go on birth control so I do not get pregnant while I am healing. He started me on the Depo shot. Within three months I gained 50lbs, lost some of my hair, hair growing on face and abdomin, and no sex drive. I brought the attention to my doctor and he told me to deal with it. Needless to say, I went to another doctor. For two years I went with no answers. Finally, I said enough. I was on a war path. I went to many other doctors, and finally, after all the test a answer!!PCOS. I told this doctor that I felt that since I had no problems before the Depo shot. Has anyone received the shot before they were diagnosed? I know that PCOS is mostly a genetic disorder, but maybe the depo enhanced the PCOS.::dizzy:

emilycaitlin 11-22-2006 11:02 AM

Re: PCOS and Depo Provera

Hi there, first of all welcome :wave: . Good for you for dropping that doc who said just deal with it. Is your current dr a reproductive endocrinologist? If not you might consider visiting one, they are generally highly knowledgeable about pcos and it's treatment. Sorry I don't know anything about the depo shot, only that I've heard it can take alot time to conceive after going off of it, just something to talk over with your dr if you want more children in the future. Best of luck to you, em

barton93 11-26-2006 11:54 PM

I too developed PCOS after Depo. I too began Depo after the birth of my 1st child. I had no problems whatsoever prior to Depo and have all sorts of problems. You definately aren't alone!

SweetHome 11-28-2006 03:54 PM

I always had issues with my period in that I didn't start until age 16 and never had a regular cycle. I went on Depo and that is when the real problems began. Weight gain, extra hair and wild sex drive... come to find out that my tetestorone was 4x the norm. Anyway - I think that Depo aggravated something that was probable handling itself quite well. I got pregnant without trying before going on Depo. Now I can't even ovulate on my own. Losing weight has become a battle that I am losing...

Now I am taking metformin, and researching everything to do with fertility.

What a frustrating thing!!!!

LadyObsidion 02-06-2007 12:06 AM

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Teal"]I was diagnosed with PCOS after being on depo for several years, although I think I had PCOS before going on Depo. I was first put on depo because of non-stopping, heavy periods. My periods were stopped by the Depo. I also gained weight that I am still trying to get off. I was then diagnosed with PCOS by a different doctor after being diagnosed with Diabetes. They couldn't do the bloodwork because I was on the Depo (a lovely catch 22).

All of a sudden, after being on Depo for 12 years, my period returned with a vengeance (lots of bleeding, wouldn't stop for 45 days, and the pain was worse then anything). I am now off the Depo and on the pill. I have had 2 internal ultrasounds. The first one showed a large cyst on my right ovary. The second showed it was gone. I still have a lot of pain, but my periods have totally stopped again. My doctor basically says that I should be happy that they have stopped again and not question why.

I don't have insurance yet so I can't find a new doctor. For the pain I'm on Pericet, but I can only take it at night and just have to deal with the pain during the day.

After the Depo stopped working I found out that women are only supposed to be on it for 2 years. Woops!:blob_fire I having many other medical problems that contribute to the pain and weight problem, but give me a break, someone wasn't doing their job for 10 years![/COLOR][/FONT]