It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• PCOS symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
    innerstrength86
    (female)

innerstrength86 HB User
    PCOS symptoms?

I don't know why I haven't gotten my period in SO long, but I think it must be because of PCOS, but I'm still not really sure what PCOS is...

Anyway, it's been about 2 years (I was on birth control and got my periods, then came off and everything stopped) since my last period. I am now 20 years old.

I read in another Thread about someone with acne around their chin/mouth/neck. I don't have a lot, but that's the ONLY place I get acne. I am not overweight. I think my hair has been thinning (maybe it's stress though?). I did take those hormones (think it starts with a P) that you take for 5 or so days to induce a period and I never got one. I had a pelvic ultrasound and everything appeared normal.

What are your thoughts? What should my next step be? Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
    JAM82
    Veteran
    (female)

JAM82 HB User
    Re: PCOS symptoms?

Hi there,

In relation to your post i doubt you need to have severe acne to indicate pcos. i, myself tested negitive for pcos in 2004 even tho my periods would disapear for months at a time which were painful and heavy i have acne on my back,face and shoulders and had a huge amount of weight gain however in feb 2007 this test was done again and showed that i do infact suffer from this(took the weight gain to highlight it)i dont have hair growth you dont need to have all symptoms.think the tablets your refering to are provera had them b4 i started iui to bring on period.
    i am now going through my 1st cycle of iui after allmost four years of trying naturally-however my hubby has problems of his own so dont rule out concieving on your own.my advice is to consult your doctor if your worried-let us know how you get on

take care
    x

Last edited by JAM82; 03-27-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User

There are so many variables when you're dealing with PCOS and the symptoms. I have all the classic symptoms, weight gain, increased facial hair, funky periods, bad bad acne, etc etc. Yet when I went to the Dr. and she did blood work everything came back normal.

I had a CT scan last year for something unrelated and they saw cysts on my ovaries. When I went for an U/S they said there were none.

I went to the GYN for my yearly pap about a month ago and told him of my symptoms and normal blood work and he did an u/s of my ovaries. He said I had the classic PCOS ovaries. I had 10 cysts on my right and a golfball size cyst on my left along with 4 or 5 smaller ones. I'm now being treated for PCOS and things are much improved.

Point is, is that there are so many symptoms and you might not have all of them, and still have PCOS. Or you might have some of them some of the time. I've heard before that PCOS is a diagnosis of exclusion. I would definitely look into it further and talk to your Dr. about your symptoms and concerns.
    PCOS

Old 03-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
    innerstrength86
    (female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Thanks for the replies.
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but do the cysts create some type of pain as they form? Like cramping or anything? I don't experience anything...

Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 AM   #5
    JAM82
    Veteran
    (female)

JAM82 HB User

I didnt feel anything, just noticed that when i did have a period the cramps were painfull but put it down to the fact it didnt happen often.

x

Last edited by JAM82; 03-29-2007 at 03:11 AM.

Closed Thread