It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• very long period - could it be pcos?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
    melody81
    (female)

melody81 HB User
    very long period - could it be pcos?

I'm on day 17 of my period. This is officially the longest period I've ever had. (I'm 26 years old) Normally they last about 5-6 days but this has been over two weeks so obviously, I'm getting concerned. (By the way, I am not on any birth control and not pregnant) And it's not by any means a heavy period, mostly light to medium flow with occassional clots (sorry to be graphic)

My cycles are very irregular too. I'll go months without having a period. But sometimes I do get one every month. I tend to alternate between having regular monthly cycles to having not so regular cycles)

I've been looking up other symptoms of pcos online and I have the facial hair thing (annoying chin hairs!), and I have a little acne, but I am not overweight as I only weigh 100 pounds. Although I do have concerns about my blood sugar (I think i have low blood sugar) but i don't know if that could be related in any way.

I guess I just want to hear from people who have this condition...i know not having your period could mean you have it, but is having a period that lasts for more than two weeks also a sign of pcos? Has anyone ever had a period that lasted this long? I just want it to stop!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
    shellshell82
    (female)

shellshell82 HB User
    Re: very long period - could it be pcos?

Yes, that could definitely be PCOS. You really need to see a doctor and explain all of your symptoms and get properly tested for PCOS and related conditions that could cause similar symptoms (including glucose tolerance test testing your glucose and insulin response). "Healthy" weight women can have PCOS. Low blood sugar can be a sign of insulin resistance - but you really need to be tested for this!

Do you eat healthily and exercise? If not, this is a good thing to do for general health, but especially important if you have PCOS.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
    marinewife12
    Inactive
    (female)

marinewife12 HB User

melody:

I am going through the exact same thing. I just found out yesterday that my probable diagnosis is pcos. I have an ultrasound scheduled for May 9th, so it's not 100%. But my dr.'s quote was "If I was a betting man..." so it's a pretty sure thing.

I've been on my period for 5 weeks. Yeah...I'm being serious. 5 weeks. Over a month. My last period before this was in November. I'm not on birth control...haven't been for almost a year. And I'm 23.

It's been annoying. My doctor perscribed progesterone to finally halt the period. I haven't filled it yet, I have to get to a specific pharmacy. But he gave me a 10 day script. The first two days are supposed to cleanse me out, then stop. And then I'll start up again, which is supposed to be my "regular" period. And the day that it starts back up would be my cycle day 1. It should be a very very short "period" and then we will figure things out from there.

Definitely go to the doctor as soon as possible. That way they can start the process of figuring out if this is what is going on. The earlier you can figure this out, the better.

In our case, we were about to start trying to conceive...so it's good we figured it out now rather than 2 years down the road with no child to show for it.

Kate

Old 04-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
    melody81
    (female)

melody81 HB User

Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely going to make an appt. to see a doctor soon, it's just the waiting around and not knowing what's going on part that's driving me crazy. I always knew something about how my body functions is strange. It would be nice if I could get an explanation.

By the way, my period is STILL with me, day 18 now. But it's been a very light flow today so I'm hoping that maybe this could be the last day of it (fingers crossed!)

Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User

Hey! I have had PCOS for almost 2 years now. When I got diagnosed it was because I had had my period for 6 months straight (really really heavy). I didn't decide to go to a doctor until month 4 (I started getting anemic, and passing out). At this time, I was on summer break, and about a week from going to school, so there was nothing they could do really. I ended up having to find a GYN near my school. That took a few weeks, because there were only men accepting new patients, and I wasn't comfortable, but I finally said ok, I'll deal. My first visit he did an intervaginal ultrasound and found the cysts, and referred me to an endocrinologist, where I later found out I was diabetic.
    Hope all works out for you. Yeah, you should definitely get it checked out for sure. Don't want to end up anemic and such.

Closed Thread