It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• never losing weight i diet and exercise no results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
    Blueeyes
    (female)

Blueeyes HB User
    never losing weight i diet and exercise no results

I am pcos,hypothyroid and insulin resistance. I excersise and diet, and i still dont loose weight. what is going on with me?? i need help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
    rubyredhen
    (female)

rubyredhen HB User
    Re: never loosen weight i diet and excersie no results

Your not alone I now take Metformin. Have only been on it for eight weeks but now look better and feel better as I have a Metabolic Disorder I now have been trying coconut oil and in a week have seen results. Don't give up I know what its like feeling that you will never move the weight. So hang in there. Have you been to a Endocrine Doctor?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
    Blueeyes
    (female)

Blueeyes HB User
    Re: never loosen weight i diet and excersie no results

HEY, Ive seen plenty endocrinologists...... yes im also on metformin. Just started it again. was on 500mgs for 6 weeks now im taken 1000 mgs the past 2weeks i dont see any changes and still no period the past 8 months. No i am not pregnant they tested me like 6 times already these past 8months all negative. I did have high testerone levels the endo said. I am really worried that i havent gotten my period in this long. it is not like me. i usually go like 3 months without it thats it. never this long you know. i need help. i do eat real well and excersise and im on metformin and synthroid no results. what is this cocount oil you taking? what is that?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
    Liz74
    (female)

Liz74 HB User
    Re: never losing weight i diet and exercise no results

I have the same issue. I had an endocrinologist literally laugh in my face when I told him what I ate and how much I was exercising. I also have high testosterone (last test was 101 ng/dl). Gynos and endos just pat you on the head (verbally) and tell you to try harder- they are useless (I still get my annual pap though). One of my coworkers suggested going to a nutritionists to see if they believe me. I'm not insulin resistant though, my fasting insulin and glucose have always been normal. Although 2 of my mom's siblings are morbidly obese (my dad's half sister was before having gastric bypass) and still don't have diabetes in their 50's so I'm hoping if I'm better with diet and exercise I'll avoid it.

I'm not the OP but I have coconut oil I got from an Asian market. I cook with it sometimes but don't take it daily. It shouldn't be that hard to find unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User

I have PCOS but my labs always show normal including my insulin levels and glucose. I've been on Metformin for 3 months and have lost 17lbs. I eat sensibly and before the Metformin I couldn't even lose a single pound.

You might want to look into Metformin and/or a glycemic index diet.

Good luck!
    PCOS

Old 07-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
    Liz74
    (female)

Liz74 HB User

I have been doing a low GI for about 10 years (the first few low carb) and nothing. I did take a break from that and try the McDougal (sp?) program for maximum weight loss, an extremely low fat vegan diet. I had no idea a person could gain almost 20 lbs in 3 weeks until trying that and I didn't even eat potatoes like it says you can. I lost 10 of it in about 18 months but the rest is still here (2 years later). I'm actually glad it didn't work since extremely low fat food is disgusting no matter how much spice you add.

I think I'll go with a nutritionist once I'm done with physical therapy for my back since I'm doing that 3X a week. That person might be more interested in doing something like Met, every doctor I've seen assumes I'm lying and actually sitting around eating burgers and fries and candy bars all day. I'm not sure if nutritionists are MDs and can write an Rx or not.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User

Have you ever had an U/S to check your ovaries for cysts?
    PCOS

Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
    Liz74
    (female)

Liz74 HB User

Nope I was diagnosed based on symptoms. Irregular periods, severe cystic acne (not since accutane though), depression, and later was found to have high testosterone levels. After learning more about PCOS I'm surprised no one ever did that.

I'll try to make this story as short as possible: Started taking pamelor at 15 for depression (after 3 years of therapy), gained 15 lbs in 6 weeks, another 20 over the next year or so after eating better and exercising. Periods went from about every other month to occasional. Then the constant bleeding (for up to 3 months at a time or as short as 2 weeks) that was not helped for more than a couple months or made worse by BCPs started and continued for about 8 years until I was tapered off the pamelor at 31 (now 33). I'm not regular but after 2 years off the pamelor I no longer bleed for months, instead I just have about 3-5 a year but I have not lost the weight I gained despite increased vigilance with diet and exercise. Lately my appetite has decreased significantly (I'm just not hungry) but zero weight loss. I also started smoking at 14 and today is my quit day (hopefully for real this time).

Good thing I don't like children since I probably couldn't have them if I tried (I'd need a sex drive for that too .)

Edit- I went to the doc for the appetite loss and fullness. Since my last pap was December and my chems and CBCs were normal she did not have any recommendation.

Last edited by Liz74; 07-03-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User

I would seriously push for an U/S. All of my labs are ALWAYS normal, the only thing that shows abnormal are the U/S's of my ovaries. I have all of the symptoms for the most part.

Honestly, if you're Dr's are not helping you and are dismissing your symptoms as well as your abnormal labs I would try to find someone who will listen to you.

((hugs))
    PCOS

Old 07-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
    Liz74
    (female)

Liz74 HB User

I've been trying to find someone who will listen for 10 years (that would be about 4 gynos over that time). I guess I have to keep on trying.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
    chris02
    (female)

chris02 HB User

Hi Liz ,

You answered one of my threads on the weight issue. Thank You it is good to know there are people out there with the same story as me. I have just joined another diet scheme run by the health service. What they do is balance your food groups. I'm 118kg (18 stone 9 pounds) and what she recomended for me is 10 portions of fruit and veg (max 3 fruit a day), 7 portions of Starchy food (bread, pasta, potatoes), 5 portions of Dairy, 6 portions of Protein, 2 portions of Fats & Sugars & drink 2 litres of water a day. Exercise 30 mins 4 to 5 times a week.
    I hope that this may be of help for you or anybody else struggling. I have'nt started till monday so I will let you know if it works for me, but it could be worth a try. If you want anymore info contact me.

Last edited by chris02; 07-06-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
    chris02
    (female)

chris02 HB User

Hi morrisun,
    I have the same labs as you and tried metformin a couple of years ago, it did'nt work for me then. I was doing a low fat low carb diet at the time. Is there any diet ideas you can give me to help if I was to try Metformin again. I have been given a new diet plan which is below do you think it may work with this plan?
    Chris

Last edited by chris02; 07-08-2007 at 06:59 AM.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #13
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User

The only thing I know that helps me is to stay away from greasy, fatty foods when you're on Metformin. My Endo just prescribed the name brand Fortamet because he said it sometimes doesn't cause the s/e's as the Metformin. I haven't had it filled yet though so I can't say if it helps. Good luck!
    PCOS

Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
    Liz74
    (female)

Liz74 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris02 View Post
    Hi Liz ,

You answered one of my threads on the weight issue. Thank You it is good to know there are people out there with the same story as me. I have just joined another diet scheme run by the health service. What they do is balance your food groups. I'm 118kg (18 stone 9 pounds) and what she recomended for me is 10 portions of fruit and veg (max 3 fruit a day), 7 portions of Starchy food (bread, pasta, potatoes), 5 portions of Dairy, 6 portions of Protein, 2 portions of Fats & Sugars & drink 2 litres of water a day. Exercise 30 mins 4 to 5 times a week.
    I hope that this may be of help for you or anybody else struggling. I have'nt started till monday so I will let you know if it works for me, but it could be worth a try. If you want anymore info contact me.
    That sounds similar to someting I've tried before. I think I'm going to see a nutritionist in August. My PT should be done and I'll have been smoke free for about a month (hopefully). But if that doesn't work and what you're doing works for you I'll get some details.

Closed Thread