HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/)
-   -   Brown blood...very long periords just diagnosed with PCOS (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/611674-brown-blood-very-long-periords-just-diagnosed-pcos.html)

crynkle 06-21-2008 03:34 PM

Brown blood...very long periords just diagnosed with PCOS

Hi,
I'm new to this board and to having PCOS. I've suspected that I have had it for a while but wasn't able to get it confirmed until last month. My biggest concern however is the change my period has taken the past 2 months. The Mirana was recommended to me but I have to wait for my insurance in August. I'm not on any medications or any type of birth control (besides condoms).
Ok...My period has taken a lot of strange turns over the years. The last several years my period has lasted 2-3 days, (usually 2) and has been VERY painful. I've even blacked out before. They came randomly. Sometimes within 4 weeks, sometimes months would lapse between them. The doctors never really knew what to do except tell me to go on BCP. I've been on them before and it didn't help. Now they really don't know what to say. Well, things changed last month. My period started and I had no idea. No cramping, no pain, nothing. It started out brown..gross. It continued brown...gross. It was very light with occasional clots. It lasted 12 days! The doctor recommended that I take a pregnancy test and it was negative. This month my period was on time (very strange) and again with the brown blood. I'm on day 7 with no end in sight. Decided to try another preg test and again negative. Along with all the other PCOS things, being really tired-hair growth in strange places-acne...a lot of acne-depression-the weight struggle etc, I really don't know what to do. Has anyone else had to deal with periods that lasted FOREVER and looked as though they were just finishing up despite the fact they weren't?

Help please.
Thank you.

Italia 43 06-22-2008 02:01 PM

Re: Brown blood...very long periords just diagnosed with PCOS

everything you just wrote sums me up totally.. i have hair all over.. i have had my period for 2 months straight now, it did go away for 2 days, but came right back.. my periods are now like brownish too,.. i am always negative on pregnancy tests too... im always negative on all std tests, so im so lost.. my fertility dr even did a endometrio biopsy on me, because 3 months ago i wasnt getting my period for 8 months straight, but that came back normal.. that test is to test for cancer in your utherus. i was not shedding my lining for along time, but now my periods wont stop.. really weird.. i am only on thyroid medications only.. i refuse bcp and pcos pills, to many side effects.. im just so worried im never going to have kids.. also i get very dizzy and lightheaded too.. most be from the crazy amount of bloodloss i have been having in the past 2 months.. i just never have any energy, and have packed on lots of weight.. i am tall though, but real heavy. i am just always tired everyday.. well i was diagnosed 10 years ago, but the reason i developed my issues was from years of bipolar/depression medications that i no longer take, but the doctors want me to take.. lol... my body is all screwed up.. whats your daily life like.. well nice to meet you.. my name christina by the way.. hugs:angel:

crynkle 06-24-2008 12:32 PM

Hi Christina,

My name is Crystal. Daily life is not too bad. I'm tired a lot but I can't fall asleep. It's like living in a weird fog. I wake up at 7am and can't get to bed until well after midnight. I try not to take naps because I only stay up later when bed time comes around.
I'm very self conscious about my acne and facial hair. I always feel like I might have missed a hair and someone is going to notice.
I hate being fat. I used to be thin. My sister and mom are thin. My sister is getting married in November and I'm her maid of honor. I'm dreading it. I don't want to be in a dress or have any pictures of me. Especially next to my very fit, very beautiful sister. I just want to let you know that I'm not going for pity...I'm just venting. My sister thinks that losing weight is easy. Just get on a treadmill and things should be fine. I know she doesn't understand the tiredness or the effort needed or the sadness or the self consciousness involved. Oh well, I will get through this.

:confused: I actually wanted to update this a bit. Yesterday I was excited that my period was over. My boyfriend and I 'celebrated' and today I'm bleeding A LOT. I am SO TIRED OF THIS! This is the second or third time that this has happened. He's not hurting me and everything feels great at the time, but the next day, I start bleeding all over again. I think I'm going to go to Planned Parenthood this week. I don't have insurance until school starts up again. Maybe they can help me. I figure someone someday might.

Italia 43 06-24-2008 06:56 PM

wow i was always skinny my entire life too, but now forget it. i am always tired constantly too.. you are not alone with that.. like its so easy to loose weight. everyone thinks just hit the gym and that will answer all my questions.. i tell you i went consistently to the gym for 4 months and didnt see any drastic changes.. lost a few pounds, but then my body went into limbo and wanted to gain all the weight back that i had lost.. thats the problem with weight loss, its to hard to keep it off forever.. i wouldn't blame you for not wanting to wear a dress, because i havent wore a dress in like 9 years. I dress very baggy most of the time.. Good luck with yuor sisters wedding. doesnt that suck that our periods go away for like 2 days, but then come right back the next.. i dont even think my period does go away, i just get like brownish color those 2 days, but very light then its hardly visible.. i am so depressed and tired constantly too. i have no energy for nothing.. i try to eat healthy at least, but i also have sugar issues that makes me constantly craving something sweet every hour.. about the sleep issue your having, maybe your thyroid is low. do you have any psychological issues.. i have bipolar, but will not take any medications anymore for that condition. used to, but refuse because thats what caused my pcos in the first place-being on bipolar medications has caused my pcos, so i no longer take bipolar pills.. what is your situation caused from.. do you work or go to school or have any kids?:angel: