It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• I have excessive whisker-like hair on my face. Anyone have advise?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
    Alliecatt
    (female)

Alliecatt HB User
    I have excessive whisker-like hair on my face. Anyone have advise?

I was diagnosed with PCOD in 1993 but wasn't prescribed Glucophage/Metformin until 2000. After I was prescribed that medication, I FINALLY and quickly started losing the 40 pounds I had put on so rapidly. Now I am back to a normal weight. But I started developing whisker like hairs on my chin when I was in my late teens and it spread to my neck in my early twenties. Now it is out of control and I have to tweeze and tweeze every day. But it always feels rough like a mans face would feel after shaving, never smooth like a woman's face should feel. I wouldn't want to take a razor to it (although I have before) because I'm afraid it will get worse. I am embarrassed to let anyone touch my face and have swatted hands away from my face when someone tries to touch it for fear of being embarrassed. These hairs are dark and thick and too many to really tweeze.
    I also have a sort of all over peach fuzz on my face but it is lighter both in texture and color.
    Does anyone else have this problem and is there any creams or remedies you use that inhibit the growth? I really don't want to use birth control and I don't think my insurance will cover anything so it would probably have to be an OTC type remedy. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
    Italia 43
    (female)

Italia 43 HB User
    Re: I have excessive whisker-like hair on my face. Anyone have advise?

I have the same exact issues.. I am like growing a mans goatee on my lip and chin.. I also have very thick side burns that connect with the goatee on the chin.. I use a mans norleco eletric razor every week to shave it off.. Words marvelous.. i did do 1 treatments of laser hair removal, but that was very expensive.. they charge like over 300 for 1 session. I wanted to try it out.. It worked, but i found out its not a permenant cure.. Once you stop paying and going to laser sessions your hair grows back.. Waste of money.. only a quick temporary solution.. i used to take metformin, but it made me go diahreea 30 times a day.. i have pcos and thyroid disease and insulin resistance..

Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
    leila20
    (female)

leila20 HB User

I recommend electrolysis, I won't lie it can be painful but it's much cheaper than laser, depending on who you go to about $70 an hour. But it is permanent hair removal, and laser is NOT you will be throwing your money away for it to all grow back a year later.

If you want the hair to stop growing, spirolactone is a drug that controls testosterone levels which cause the hair growth. You may also need to look into other reasons you have this hair growth, if you are insulin resistant, maybe you need to be on metformin, you should also have your thyroid levels checked. You must see an endocrinologist, you shouldn't have to live with this.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
    Alliecatt
    (female)

Alliecatt HB User

Actually I am insulin resistant and I have been taking Metformin since 2000. I believe Spirolactone is one of the medications that was prescribed to me by my gynocologist but my insurance wouldn't cover it because it was for "cosmetic reasons" and not medically necessary. I couldn't afford to pay for it out of pocket as I really can't afford many of the other methods of hair removal unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
    leila20
    (female)

leila20 HB User

Maybe your dose of met isn't high enough if your hair growth is that bad?
    I think spiroloactone is also prescribed to lower blood pressure so it shouldn't be seen as cosmetic. I think it's just a couple of dollars even without insurance, if not make sure you check with Walmart or Target if it's on their $4 plan. Look into spiro again it could really help with your excess hair growth.

Last edited by leila20; 09-27-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
    Alliecatt
    (female)

Alliecatt HB User

I take 1000 mg of Metformin/day and I think it just right for me. It took a long time for my body to get used to it. I had diarrhea at first but it has finally stopped.
    I might look into the Spiro again and see if it's on the Walmart $4 plan. I wish there was a good hair inhibiting cream that you could get OTC that would at least stop the hair from growing back so soon.
    Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
    leila20
    (female)

leila20 HB User

1000mg is a very low dose. Most endocrinologists don't consider anything below 1500mg to be effective. That's a shame your having a hard time with side effects on the drug, because it may not be a high enough dose to start shifting hormones. Are you on extended release? The side effects shouldn't be as bad

Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
    Alliecatt
    (female)

Alliecatt HB User

Yes I am on Metformin ER. I find it easier on me to take one in the morning and one in the evening instead of taking both at the same time. It has helped me with me with my cycles as far as making me more regular. Before taking Metformin, I really had no way of knowing when I would get my period. For a long time I would get them every three months. They were very unpredictable because of my PCOD. The Metformin has helped me immensely in that respect.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
    crtvdsgnr11
    (female)

crtvdsgnr11 HB User

i have the same problem... but its like a full beard... like you, i used to tweeze for 2-3 hours every other day... and that became way too much for me... so i started using a nair product that was meant for the face... for me i experience leather feeling skin, rashes, and it didnt always remove all of the hairs. the bottle recomends you dont leave the product on for more than 5 minutes but i would leave it on for up to 20 because it would simply not remove it. so now i have resorted to shaving. i do it every morning in the shower but i use a lotion as opposed to a shaving cream... it lessens that chance of razor burn. i am on aldactone/spronolactone and have definately seen a difference. this med is definately worth trying and it is on the $4 meds at kroger for sure.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
    swimnutt1523
    (female)

swimnutt1523 HB User
    Thumbs down Re: I have excessive whisker-like hair on my face. Anyone have advise?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alliecatt View Post
    I was diagnosed with PCOD in 1993 but wasn't prescribed Glucophage/Metformin until 2000. After I was prescribed that medication, I FINALLY and quickly started losing the 40 pounds I had put on so rapidly. Now I am back to a normal weight. But I started developing whisker like hairs on my chin when I was in my late teens and it spread to my neck in my early twenties. Now it is out of control and I have to tweeze and tweeze every day. But it always feels rough like a mans face would feel after shaving, never smooth like a woman's face should feel. I wouldn't want to take a razor to it (although I have before) because I'm afraid it will get worse. I am embarrassed to let anyone touch my face and have swatted hands away from my face when someone tries to touch it for fear of being embarrassed. These hairs are dark and thick and too many to really tweeze.
    I also have a sort of all over peach fuzz on my face but it is lighter both in texture and color.
    Does anyone else have this problem and is there any creams or remedies you use that inhibit the growth? I really don't want to use birth control and I don't think my insurance will cover anything so it would probably have to be an OTC type remedy. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

doNT FEEL bAD WE ARE ALL CURSED WITH THE HAIR ISSUE LUCKLY i HAVE A DARK PEACH FUZZ ISSUE ON MY UPPER LIP AND GO GET WAXED GO SOME WHERE THAT HAS A GOOD REPUTATION OR YOU WILL END UP LIKE ME WITH A BURN ON YOUR LIP AND A EMPTIER WALLET THE BURN WENT A WAY BUT IT WAS EMBARESSING AND IRRITATING i FOUND A PLACE AND i GO THERE AS NEEDED THANK GOD FOR WAXING!

Closed Thread