It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• PCOS,, advice and experiences please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
    imlonelygirl86
    (female)

imlonelygirl86 HB User
    PCOS,, advice and experiences please

Hey yall, im sam from edinburgh,, im 22 and when i was 16 i was diagnosed with PCOS,, at the age of 11 i started my periods and i got them regularly -same time every month without fail- until i was 14 and a half,, they stopped cummin,, i knew i couldnt be pregnant as i was a virgin, so i put it down to stress with exams and bullying i went through,, my weight balloned rapidly and i tried every diet i could,, i had 2 periods in total from when they stopped to when i was 16,, doctors done blood tests and scans and everything then told me i had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome,, i remember when i was told the doctor phoned me and told me over the phone,, he didnt explain anything,, i hadnt even heard of it,, i went on the net and looked it up,, some of the symptoms matched mine,, then i read the part that said i had 25% chance of every being pregnant,, i was pure gutted,, things went downhill from there,, i also suffer from depression which doesnyt help,, the doc put me on the pill (dianette) to help to give me a release every month,, but still my weight went up and up,, then i was put on metformin to help to try shift the weight,, it hasnt helped, im now 22 and i am of the dianette have been on metformin since i was 16 i havent lost any weight and metformin makes me ill,, it makes me feel constantly sick and my bowels have never been the same,, has any1 elsehad this problem??,. i have now been put on medroxyprogesterone which i take for 1 week every 3 months so i at least get a release every 3 months,, i am gettin married next year hopefully and i want to start my own family,, please give advice on what i can do,, or tips to lose weight or even tell me ur story please, xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
    Solange3000
    (female)

Solange3000 HB User
    Re: PCOS,, advice and experiences please

Hello Sam welcome to the healthboards, you will find a lot of women here who are going through the same experiences as you are. I want to start by telling you that a big number of women with PCOS do get pregnant and I'm one of them. I am currently pregnant after having an IVF cycle.
    I also started missing my periods when I was 16 and they were less and less every year, I was also put on bc pills but I didn't get diagnosed with PCOS until I was 23, I'm 33 now. I continued with the pills for many years because I wasn't trying to get pregnant anyways. I strated taking Metformin about 4 years ago and just like you and most who take this medication it was awfull to my stomach but I finally got used to it about 2 months after taking it. I was also overweight and I can tell you that just taking Metformin alone did not help me lose weight, I was still the same weight after taking the medication for over 1 year. Then two years ago my doctor told me I needed to do something about my weight if I was planing on having a baby, so I went on a diet and exercise plan and I lost close to 30lbs. I always tell people that if they want to lose weight on Metformin alone is not going to work, it will help but you need to do your part.
    My husband and I started to TTC last year in October 2007, first we tried naturally, I was having my periods every month but it never happened, then we tried clomid for 3 months and nothing happened. My husband was tested and we came to find out he had low sperm count. So we did one month of IUI and that also didn't work. Finanlly we tried one cycle of IVF and it was a perfect BFP. The whole proccess since we decide to have a baby took about 8 months.
    So I just want to tell you not to lose hope, if you take care of yourself and your health, if you have a good doctor that knows you well and has a good plan for you, you have a good chance of getting pregnant. Most women who are trying to get pregnant see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. Also I don't know how the medical insurance is in Scotland, but my insurance in the US paid for everything. If you don't have insurance you can end up paying thousands.
    I wish you the best and please think positive because one day you will have a baby.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
    Solange3000
    (female)

Solange3000 HB User

Oh I forgot about tips to losing weight. I did something similar to the South Beach diet but I skiped the first stage. I ate every 3 hours, small meal and always included veggies, fruist, protein, healthy carbs, fish and also took a daily women's vitamin. Believe me I cheated once is a while, had a small bowl of ice-cream, a small piece of cake at a birthday party, something like that, but never over doing it.
    For exercise I joined a gym and worked out 5 days/week. I did cardio work such as, spinning or cycling, running, erobics class and also did weight training to tone the muscles. If you don't want to join a gym you can take walks, runs, use a bike, or exercise videos so you can do them at home. I know it's extremely hard and you have to have will power to lose weight, but if you set your mind to it you will do it. It also helps if you have someone to exercise with to help you through it.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
    brunette580
    (female)

brunette580 HB User

Hiya Sam, Im 19 and was diagnosed with PCOS last year and like you, the thought of not being able to have children made me feel so dissappointed. My periods began at the age of 11 and by the time I was 14 they were pretty much regular. My dad then died and between the ages of 14 and 18, I only had 3 periods. I tried lost of different pills from my GP to try and regulate them but nothing work. Also at that time, I started putting on heaps and heaps of weight; mum thought I was over eating due to the stress of losing dad but I'd gone off food if anything. I started looking around on the internet 18months ago at menstrual related diseases and went back to my GP, who reluctuantly agreed to send me for an ultrasound and blood tests (he'd thought it was stress of A Levels, and dad and generally being a teeenager) and since he got the results he always said that I had the most clear cut case of PCOS hes ever seen in his career. I'm not on Dianette and Metformin, watching what I eat and exercising as and when I can around studying for my degree.
    As for advice, the first thing I would say is to not panic !! The more stressed out you are, the worse everything seems and it spirals from there. Secondly, talk to your family about it. The more aware of the situation they are, the more they want to help! Speaking of food, its only now I'm finding what I can eat that suits me and what I can't, and its not as simple as cutting out fatty foods !! I now have a Slimfast milkshake for breakfast because it fills me up, I get lots of nutrients and I'm full until lunchtime so I don't snack. I was pretty healthy anyway so I've carried on having a pitta bread for lunch and a smaller portion of whatever I cook for an evening meal. The best tip I can give you though if you fancy going out to do some exercise, if take your best friend along with you !! Its much more fun to have a chat and someone with you.
    Apart from that, good luck and I hope this has helped xxx
    PS
    Oh, a good book is PCOS A woman's guide to dealing with polycystic ovarian syndrome, its simple and easy to understand.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
    danire
    (female)

danire HB User

I am new here too. I am older, 43 was diagnosed PCOS at 16 but never really knew what it meant. They told me I probably would never have children. (so I never used bc) My first marriage didn't last and I ended up losing a lot of weight. My new boyfriend and I ended up pregnant (hahaha fooled them right) then after I lost my baby weight again I became pregnant with my 2nd. I still didn't know too much about why I jsut figured they didn't know what they were talking about. now that I am older and because of the invention of the internet I can see the syndrome really has affected my whole life. I lost weight back then in an unhealthy way. Now trying to lose weight is next to impossible. I went to a weight management doc and he looked at my bloodwork and said I was insulin resistant. He asked me a few questions and immediately put 2 and 2 together about the PCOS. I take metformin (which kills my digestive system) exercise, eat healthy and all of it together helped me lose 40 lbs. I also used Byetta for a while which really helped. I now am finding my liver is having issues and i can't take the metformin any more. PCOS sure affects your body! I have just started to take milk thistle to help clean my liver. I hope it helps!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
    Shawnakay2005
    (female)

Shawnakay2005 HB User
    Post Re: PCOS,, advice and experiences please

Hello! I SO know how you are feeling. I am 22 and getting married 9/19/09. I was diagnosed at about 14. I didn't start my period until I was 13, but for my family that is quite early. Having five sisters who didn't start until they were 15-17. I was also having weight gain with no reason why, no diet helped. Yes, try being 14 in weight watchers. Every time I would weigh and gain weight or not lose weight my mom would no scold me but we would sit down and she would tell me she packs my lunches ect she wanted to know where I was getting my "extra" food. The thing is I was not! I was hurt that she didn't believe me, but I was wondering the same thing. Why was it not working. Then, as if being an overweight girl in high school wasn't enough I started to grow a little extra hair on my neck/chin area. Not the chin you see on my face, and not quite my neck, the area between I guess. Unlike you my periods didn't stop coming they came all the time, they were heavy and horrible. I never really got cramps though. So my Mom started to talk to other Dr's I saw so many of them! Finally one day I was sick and my Mom had picked me up from school. She had a doctors apt and before we could go home I had to go. Just randomly she asked her doctor if she knew anything that would help my hair. Then we started talking about my other symptoms. This doctor being fairly new to the field happened to remember something from school. She left and came back and said I think she has PCOS. She started doing my testing and sure enough I did. I was put on BC to help regulate my periods and metformin which like everyone else I HATED! I tried many BC pills over the years but finally found one that seems to be the best for my periods, extra hair, and I didn't gain extra weight on it. I have been on it for about four years now it is Crystalle. I went all through HS being the fat friend. I hated it. I hated the metformin. I hated going to the diatitcian and her always telling me I must be cheating...I wasn't...finally I started cheating. All that said I have now lost 110 lbs. It was not easy but it is possible and because of the weight loss I no longer take Metformin, and my fertility chances are much better. It was my endocrinologist who led me to the right "diet" but it is not a diet it is a total life change. I work out three times a week. At first I hated it but now I look forward to it. Food. This was the hardest part! The insulin resistance we have that is associated with PCOS reacts with different foods. Mainly carbs like bread, pasta, and the simple starches or carbs like potatoes and rice. And of course sugar. Now in replacement you eat lots of protein. This is not the atkins diet or the south beach diet I guess it is similar but not a diet. The first month or so was the hardest for me. The first things she told me to start with were easy. Do not drink half hour before or after eating, or during. The liquid acts as a "lube" that makes the food flush out faster so you don't stay full as long. It did suck not to drink while eating but I don't mind anymore. The next cut carbonated drinks out all together. Not just soda all carbonated bevarages. The carbonation is a gas that "presses" on your stomach helping it to stay "stretched" out. These are simple things that don't work alone but help over all success and are easy "first" steps. Then the hard part comes getting rid of the carbs. For me it was all or nothing for a long time. I couldn't have just a little pasta, or a couple fries. So until I got used to not eating those things I just didn't. Then surgar. I didn't have candy or cake ect for a long time. I still don't really eat ice cream because of the sugar content. You really do "withdraw" from the carbs and the sugar but once you get over it they don't really seem appealing. And when I do eat them I eat less because they are just "to sweet" There are many tips and tricks that helped me get through and if you are interested I would be more than happy to share. It was VERY VERY hard but now it is so worth it and I don't feel like I'm missing anything becaue I do eat pasta and sugar just in smaller amounts than I ever did. I hope this was not to long and boring and helped a little!
    Shawna

Old 11-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
    imlonelygirl86
    (female)

imlonelygirl86 HB User

thanks everyone,
    its good to know im nt the only one, since my last post my doctor has put me on orlistat 120mg, which i take 3 times a day with my meals along with a low fat diet, fingers crossed it works, thanks for all the tips for losing weight, im trying them all, any others would also be welcome, i've got till july to lose 56kgs, so i can get my wedding dress, xxx

Old 11-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
    SamanthaDT
    (female)

SamanthaDT HB User

Hey Sam and everyone else, I'm Samantha and I'm 25. I found out I had PCOS a little over a year ago. Reading the posts in thread had me in tears. It's been an emotional day and to actually see that there are plenty of people who feel exactly like I do is surprising. This is my first time to on here. I came on here tonight because I'm also getting married next year (12-26-09) and my fiance and I have been trying to concieve. I've always had my periods, but they've been somewhat irregular. I thought they had started to even out. I'm about eight days past when I thought I would start, so I thought I might be pregnant, but a negative tests and now cramps this evening has crushed me. I want to be a mom so bad and the thought of that never happening hurts so bad.

I've been taking Metformin for almost a year. I started out one a day at 500mg. It got raised to 850mg twice daily. As you know, it KILLS me. In February I had a miscarriage. In May I went on vacation and stopped taking the Metformin because I knew it'd ruin my trip. Finally I eased back on it, relunctly. Have you guys found any way to ease the effects of this medicine?

I've recently switched doctors to try and help me get pregnant. Last week I did blood tests and a glucose test. (Where you have to drink the orange stuff, wait two hours, and do more blood) I got back on Nov. 14 for the results.

How do you guys deal with the pain of maybe never having kids?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
    imlonelygirl86
    (female)

imlonelygirl86 HB User

i couldnt deal with it, the thought of it made me not want to live anymore, for years all i have wanted is kids and its sooooo hard. its even harder when my friend who is 28 has been trying for 2 years nd had 2 ectopic pregnancys, its hard to watch and go through it wth her and then also have chances i myt never be a mum,
    BUT...
    i have since learned that everyone around me loves me no matter what, im not goin to disappoint anyone by never concieving but if i did it wud b the best thing in the world, there is a lot doctors can do these day, a lot they can try before they finally tell u u can't have kids, and if that comes there is also adoption or foster care,

hte best thing u can do is to think positive otherwise u myt nt make it to the day wen u concieve, jst remember this one thing my dad always says to me
    EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON, if its meant to happen it will ortherwise u r destined to do something else in your life, u will know sooner or later, just be patient and LIVE YOUR LIFE. the things u want always come when u least expect it!!

Closed Thread