It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• PCOS sufferers, please read.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2003, 07:54 PM   #1
    LinseyM

LinseyM HB User
    Post PCOS sufferers, please read.

Hi, I have never officially been diagnosed with PCOS, but I have been dealing with infertility for some time. Over the past few years I have also suffered missed or no periods, painful periods, a little bit of unwanted hair growth, a huge amt of weight gain (about 50 lbs in 2 years) and I am always sleepy with no energy. It has gone as far as me staying home now because it is so hard holding a job. Anyways, I finally started seeing a RE and had bloodwork done and I am having a lap surgery and a exploratory procedure to see if my tubes are blocked (i am allergic to the dye that they use in an HSG). So, today I spoke to the nurse and my bloodwork came back. I had 8 viles drawn: HIV, cystic fibrosis, insulin, progesterone, etc... Well, she didn't want to "confirm" anything with me because she said I would just talk to the dr on Friday. But, she did tell me my insulin level was high and so were my hormone levels. Sugar level was normal. What does this mean? What is the chances that I am diabetic? Is this PCOS (or does it sound like it?) I have read a lot on the net, but I like to hear you guys and your experiences. Please, any information would be greatly appreciated. What would be typically the next step? I want a baby so bad! What medicines are out there? Can they be taken while ttc? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 06:29 AM   #2
    lemondog

lemondog HB User
    Hi Linsey, between your symptoms and your blood results, you definitely have PCOS. I have PCOS, and although I have an atypical case, yours sounds like classic PCOS. The good news is, many, many PCOS patients are able to conceive on Glucophage alone (esp. if your insulin is high), and even if not, Clomid and/or injectible drugs should allow you to conceive (assuming your tubes are open, if they're closed, then you'll need IVF). I am currently 11 weeks pg with twins after using a combination of Glucophage and Gonal-F to help me ovulate. Good luck!

P.S. It sounds like you are insulin resistant, a hallmark of PCOS, but not diabetic yet, b/c your blood sugar level was normal. However, people with insulin resistance have a much greater chance of developing diabetes later on, so Glucophage and modified diet can help.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:13 AM   #3
    shortstuff07
    (female)

shortstuff07 HB User
    I have PCOS and hyperinsulinemia. Usually the two go hand in hand. I have too much insulin and I take Glucophage XR for that. I just had lap surgery for a uterine abnormality. I had a septate shaped uterus that had to be opened up to make more room, I had a big cyst on one of my ovaries that had to be removed, and I had Stage I endo behind my uterus that had to be lasered off. I will start taking the Clomid next month. I will keep you posted on my progress and I hope this helps some. Good luck to you.
    DD {Addisyn Sailor} 9/19/08

Baby #4 edd 5/19/10

Old 09-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #4
    LinseyM

LinseyM HB User
    Hey Shortstuff, I have already been on Clomid. And it is helping me ovulate because my progesterone levels were good on day 13. Does the glucophage (sp?) only help you ovulate? Because it looks as though I already ovulate, so who knows what is really going on. I forgot to mention that I have a darkening of skin around my neck and also between my breasts. I know that is pretty typical of PCOS. I bought a book today on it, so hopefully that will offer some more info for me. I hope I am on the right road to getting pregnant!

Old 04-21-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
    Hoping76
    (female)

Hoping76 HB User
    Re: PCOS sufferers, please read.

I too have pcos and finally got my hands on metforin (glucophage) and it did work. I did become pregnant after only about 3 months. I had the histoenchephologram that said my tubes were blocked too, but apparently not anymore. We did lose that baby at 15 weeks for reasons we do not know yet. They are still testing, it was only 2 days ago. There is hope!!! Keep trying. The metforin controls your insulin levels enabling ovulation to occur. God bless.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
    Lalalane
    (female)

Lalalane HB User

Hey, I too was diagnosed with PCOS, just a few months ago. It does definitley sound like you have PCOS. I am learning how to deal with it myself. I am still waiting for my menstrual to start after 4 month on Metformin.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:02 PM   #7
    southpaw33
    (female)

southpaw33 HB User

I agree with the others that you have PCOS. I have been taking Metformin for about seven months and have had 3 periods on my own after almost 3 years of no AF. Because I am still irregular, my doctor just put me on Femara, which is similar to Chlomid, on days 3-7. I have researched Femara, and everything says that it has the same success rate as Chlomid but does not stay in your system, and thus does not have the same adverse side effects. You might want to look into it. I did not actually ovulate after my first month on it, so my DR. doubled the dose for this month. Hopefully that will work!!! I will try that for two more months and then go to an RE.
    Best of luck to you and tons of baby dust!

Old 04-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

hi linsey,
    i have pcos too. i was just diagnosed about 2 months ago. right now i'm on 1000mg of glucophage (generic metformin) and am waiting for af so i can start clomid. apparently the glucophage/clomid combo is very effective and up to 90% of pcos women ovulate on it.
    glucophage is actually a drug that is for diabetes but it is also used to treat pcos. a large number of women with pcos are also insulin-resistant. that means that our bodies produce too much isulin. while this is not the same as diabetes, it can lead to type 2 daibete if not treated.
    women who are isulin-resistant often don't respond to clomid alone, but do pretty well on the combo.

glucophage will lower your insulin and help balance out your hormones so you will ovulate. other benefits are that you will hopefuly have more energy (not in the beginning. a lot of women get even more tired the first couple of weeks. i was like that but feel much better now and have more energy), and lose weight. weight loss doesn't always happen but lots of women say that they feel they lose weight more easily if they excercise while they are on glucophage.

hope that answers some of your questions. feel free to ask away!
    best of luck.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:02 AM   #9
    petalz
    (female)

petalz HB User

I became pregnant while using metforin and losing a bit of weight.My husband and I tried for 2 years. My fertility doc gave me progesterone suppositories and ordered me on bed rest for the first trimester when I started to bleed. I guess sometimes for women with PCOD there can be low progesterone levels in the body until the placenta kicks in and starts producing it in proper levels. After the first trimester the pregnancy was healthy and normal. I am the proud mother of a beautiful healthy 2 month old girl at the age of 32. Good luck and never give up hope. We actually got pregnant when we decided to take a break from trying to get pregnant.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #10
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi
    I also was dx with PCOS over 1 year ago. I am 39 years old.
    Since I was 13 had painful irregular periods, I would even get nauseas and vomit at times. When I was 16 I just stopped getting my period all together for 1 year. When I was 17 have a cyst on my ovary. Had 2 children at a young age. I was 20 when I had my son and 21 when I had my daughter. Had bad pregnancies, almost miss carried both, I bled during my pregnancies and had pregnancy diabetes with my daughter. I also dont carry full term.
    After having my daughter I had severe painful ovulation. So, now I was dealing with painful irregular periods and painful ovulation. I was put on the pill but I totaly swelled up from it so I stopped.
    ( years ago was put back on the pill due to an Enlarged Uteris. Was on the pill for eight years and developed massive ovarian cysts, also clusters of cysts on my ovaries.
    Had blood work done and my hormone levels were ok, but they said I was developing Insulin Resistance and my Tryglicerides were high and HDL were low, at this point my GP felt I was PCOS.
    I started Metorfimin. My BC pill was changed 5 times in 10 months and NOTHING was working !! I WAS SO SICK AND IN SO MUCH PAIN CONSTANTLY !! I was just getting worse and worse with the Ovarian cysts and my stomache was massive !! Had a Lap and D&C in April then in May had a hyst, everything removed but my cervix. They said after my surgery that my ovaries were enlarged and cystic, I had severe pelvic congestion and I had Adenomyosis. I have never felt better in my whole life like I do now !!!!!!! Except for menapause, but if that is the worse of it I will have to deal with it.
    I am still on Metformin because my sugar levels still are a bit boarderline. It actualy went up 3 points.
    I am wondering can you still have the PCOS symptoms even though your ovaries are out?
    I know before my hyst my total cholesteral was 254, after surgery it dropped to 222. They said that happened due to my ovaries. My Trys and HDL are still high, my blood sugar fast is 105, I have hair growth above my lip, under my chin, and on my toes and my nipple area and my belly button area. I have oily skin too.

Closed Thread