It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Anyone with PCOS & underactive thyroid??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
    Honey72
    (female)

Honey72 HB User
    Anyone with PCOS & underactive thyroid??

I've recently discovered I have an underactive thyroid, although I've been suspicious for a while, I just didn't want to go into the drs saying 'I think this is wrong with me!!!' as they generally give you a withering look at your self-diagnosis!!

Anyway, I've been reading up on it and found out 40% of women with PCOS also have a thyroid problem - er couldn't someone have mentioned this?! I would've gotten tested years ago!!! Instead I've been putting up with being constantly tired, freezing cold, losing my memory and concentration - grrr!!

I also read that once they get the thyroid levels right that some PCOS symptoms can ease, anyone had this happen?!?! That would be so great!! I've never had any treatment for PCOS as when I mentioned metformin she asked about me wanting kids and I said I didn't want any so she wouldn't prescribe it!! I just wanted help losing weight (guess the thyroid hasn't helped any )

So basically, thinking if that 40% is right there has to be someone else here in the same position!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Honey72:
    dona00 (12-31-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
    Honey72
    (female)

Honey72 HB User
    Re: Anyone with PCOS & underactive thyroid??

Nobody?!?! Just poor old me then - lol

Old 04-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
    fibrobecki
    (female)

fibrobecki HB User

I have actually had hypothyroidism dx for years (I am 32 and have had dx since 19). I have not actually been dx'd with PCOS, however I had an ultrasound on Friday and due to the craters in my ovaries I am sure that my dx is firm now. I also wish that I could have known about the dual diagnosis so that I could have been treated a long time ago. I appreciate others input. I am on levothyroixin for my hypothyroidism. It has not helped my weight at all. I am also wanting to conceive so I am going to persue other medications as soon as I get my confirmed dx. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
    Honey72
    (female)

Honey72 HB User

Hmm, that's a shame it hasn't helped you lose weight. You would think it would, but my sister is still overweight despite taking Levothyroxin and I have a friend who's been on medication for years now and she still really struggles, so don't think it's going to be a miracle cure unfortunately. Maybe if you get metformin for the PCOS it'll help. Another friend of mine took it and it really did help her, she lost loads - in conjunction with healthy eating and exercise. I'm thinking about mentioning it when I go back for a thyroid blood test in a few weeks time. Attack on both sides!!!!!!

The weight makes things worse, but it's so hard to lose it.

Closed Thread