It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Does my high testosterone mean PCOS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
    kangarooaddict
    (female)

kangarooaddict HB User
    Does my high testosterone mean PCOS?

I'm 19 years old. The only symptom I have of PCOS is moderate cystic acne (I've had acne and oily skin since puberty) and high testosterone. I have no hirsutism, have never missed a period in my life, I'm quite underweight (113 lbs, 5'9"), no family history of metabolic disorders or PCOS..no other symptoms. However, being a hypochrondriac I asked for my doctor to test my hormone levels. He tested TSH, DHEA-S, and total testosterone. TSH was 1.3 (normal), DHEA-S was 272 (normal), total testosterone was 92 ng/dL (normal was listed as 6-82).

Does the fact that my total testosterone is so high mean I definitely have a problem even though I have no symptoms of a problem other than oily skin and acne? I am one of the most feminine-looking people I know, super high voice, normal sex drive..surely a high testosterone level would cause me to have more symptoms than acne...

Maybe my total testosterone is just naturally high, but I don't have a problem? Perhaps it's high, but my actual free/available testosterone is normal. This has been worrying me sick..my dad is a doctor of internal medicine and my step-father is a psychiatrist..both told me lab norm levels vary and that I have no symptoms of a problem and shouldn't worry...and that testosterone levels vary during the day and mine is just high and stuff. However, after searching on google for hours, many endocrinologists have said your testosterone levels should not be above 50 =\..if mine is nearly twice the high limit, why have I no symptoms?

Last edited by kangarooaddict; 07-27-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread