It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• PCOS & Metformin 500mg...need help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
    MarineWifey
    (female)

MarineWifey HB User
    PCOS & Metformin 500mg...need help

Hi im new to all of this so bear with me lol. Last month I was diagnosed with pcos (I know ive had it for years but my old doc would never listen to me). My new doc diagnosed me and put me on metformin 500mg 3 times a day. Struggling with pcos ive gained 100 lbs in 4 years and have not been able to conceive another baby (I easily got preg with my son in 2000). I was told metformin is suppossed to help with this...regulating my cycle, taming down the high testosterone, loosing the weight, getting pregnant. Are these false hopes or does this medication really make that huge of a difference? I was also diagnosed around the same time with sever dysplasia and underwent a leep last week. Im just under so much stress it would be nice to hear if the meds really do what they say they can

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
    Solange3000
    (female)

Solange3000 HB User
    Re: PCOS & Metformin 500mg...need help

Hi MarineWifey - I have been taking Metformin for sometime now (except when I was pregnant) but before I took this medication I didn't have my periods and after taking it for a month my periods came back. Also it was a combination of eating healthy and exercising, I don't think you will lose the weight just taking the medication alone, you need to do your part. I wasn't able to get pregnant on Metformin alone but I have a friend who was and there are many other women with PCOS who do get pregnant with this medication. In my opinion I do think this medication is really good for women with PCOS. I would also suggest to lose weight before you try to get pregnant, it will be more beneficial for both you and the baby.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
    Rhysfirefly
    (female)

Rhysfirefly HB User

Just a question
    I am on metformin 500 once a day for my diabetes, I ovulate regularly, 28 day cycle except the last 6 months I have missed periods and ovulated when my period was due ( 6 week cycle)
    Is this normal on metformin??
    Hope someone can help
    Tanya

Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
    Mari2539
    (female)

Mari2539 HB User

Hi there. I have PCOS as well and have been taking Metformin 750 2x a day for the last 2 years. I too have bilateral hip dyslasia. I did lose about 15lbs when I first started taking it. I did begin getting my period very regularly however my endocrinologist had told me that the chance of Metformin working was only 50%, so it's not a guarantee.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
    pilbarachicken
    (female)

pilbarachicken HB User

Hi im a newbie here i found out about 6 weeks ago now that i had pcos which i found devestating after going to see so many doctors about what on earth was going on .
    Ive been on Metformin for 4 weeks now started on 500mg 1x a day then increased to 2 the next week and then 3 so been on 3 tablets for 2 weeks now and my period isnt here . i think i have set my standards to high .

I cant really help on the testosterone levels etc as im unsure though

Closed Thread