It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Is this PCOS?? needed pls

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
    Bonny2010
    (female)

Bonny2010 HB User
    Is this PCOS?? needed pls

Iíve been trying to figure out why Iím not feeling right (this has been going on for the last 6 years). My symptoms include, physical fatigue, mental fatige, insomnia, weight gain, depression, moodswings etc.

My last visit from the doctor told me that I have insulin resistance, which I find odd since I have been on a low carb diet for the last 5-6 months (no sugar). I have also been exercising most days with the little energy I have. Iím only in my 20s!

I did a saliva test for my female hormones a while back. I havenít had much help interpreting them. The naturopath I saw at the time said taking vitamin b for my adrenals will help balance out my female hormones. It hasnít helped me at all.

I had these tested again by a doc (blood was drawn at 9.30am) and they came back all normal.

Iím worried that because this has gone on for so long, and Im not getting any support for treatment on these hormone imbalances that I may develop pcos or something else.

Anyway, so these are the results from my last hormones saliva test. Can anybody help interpret these. I had the saliva tests done just before I got my period, I think it was day 23 of my menstrual cycle.

These are the results (pmol/L)
    Progesterone P4 418.7
    Testosterone 184.8 range 25.0 - 190.0
    Estradiol E2 41.3
    P4/E2 ratio 10.1
    DHEA 23.8 range 2.5 -25

Could the insulin resistance be a result of high estrogen or testosterone? And how can I get the testosterone down without resorting to drugs?

I should also note that, when I was 18 I became underweight and my period stoped for a while. Iím guessing this has something to do with the symptoms I have?

I was diagnose by a naturopath with an underactive thyroid earlier on when I fell ill. I have recently had full thyroid panel checked out, and everything came back normal
    Any of your opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User
    Re: Is this PCOS?? needed pls

I would see an endo for the correct tests and readings for PCOS. You really need to get the right meds to balance this for you. Do you have excessive hair on your face. Is your hair thin and do you have pimples? Theses are signs of high testerone and thyroid problems. Fatigue etc. go along with it also.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
    Bonny2010
    (female)

Bonny2010 HB User

I have had full thyroid blood tests done, and everything has come up normal. I dont have excess hair on my face, I do kind of lose a lot of hair when I take a shower. And I do get quite a pit of pimples for my age, anyway.

I have just ordered saliva tests for all female hormones and stress hormones. What other tests should I ask my doctor to carry out? How do they get testosterone/dhea down? I dont really want to go on any meds. I am considering bio-identical hormone replacement. Do you know if excess estrogen can cause testosterone and dhea to rise?

Thankyou for your help.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
    ambermcc1987
    Inactive
    (female)

ambermcc1987 HB User

I had all the same symptoms as you, when i was 16 i was under 100 pound by age 22 i was up to 170, moody, tired all the time along with very irregualr heavy bleeding.

My doctor never did any of the hormonal tests so i cannot help in interpreting them but I was checked for thyroid and came out clean.

Are you on any birth control at the moment?

Insulin resistance is a big factor in PCOS. I belive this is what causes it but I cannot say 100%. I would suggest going to your Gyno and having the 2 hour glucose test done along with a vaginal ultrasount. I feel asleep during the glucose test and this really perked their interest. I belive this is how my gyno diagnosed my issue. I did not go for the ultrasound until 5 days ago because I was having pain down there. I came back with enough small cysts to warrent the dr. checking my ultra sound to ask me if i did have the disorder. Sometimes with PCOS, even though the name suggests it, you may not have cysts so its really important to go to a gyno that understands everything about this problem.

all in all it seems like you need to revisit the doctor. Please keep us posted.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
    ambermcc1987
    Inactive
    (female)

ambermcc1987 HB User

here is a good link describing PCOS

http://women.*****.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview

Closed Thread