It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Metformin has stopped working - please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
    KonaLuv
    (female)

KonaLuv HB User
    Metformin has stopped working - please help!

I have been on Metformin for PCOS for about 5 or 6 years now. Recently, I have notice it has stopped working. I'm gaining weight, I'm breaking out again, I have more skin tags, and my cycles are very irregular (again). I had this problem a few years back, and I cut my dosage in half, then went back to the full dosage a couple weeks later and everything went back to "normal". It's been a couple months since the metformin has stopped working, but I have only weighed myself recently. I've gained 35 pounds since the beginning of the year! ah! I know I should have addressed this problem sooner. I talked to my doctor and she basically just gave me the ok to reduce the meds.

Has this happened to anyone before? What should I do? Should I do the same thing I did last time? If so, how much of the metfromin should I cut and for how long? I'm currently taking 1,000 mg twice a day.

Also, I started a diet and exercise regimen about 6 months ago and I have been VERY good about keeping up with it, so I know the weight gain isn't due to eating tones of sweets or not exercising enough.

Please help! My weight is totally out of control!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: KonaLuv
    busymomathome (01-11-2011),yvttalxndr (11-21-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
    yvttalxndr
    (female)

yvttalxndr HB User
    Re: Metformin has stopped working - please help!

to get the full effect of metformin my doctor told me to up my pills to 500 x 4 a day and my periods came back so i believe this will work for you too 1000 mg is just gon keep your insulin in check but thats about it

Closed Thread