It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Absence of period for 4 years, now bleeding for 2 weeks straight???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
    illuminatehope
    (female)

illuminatehope HB User
    Absence of period for 4 years, now bleeding for 2 weeks straight???

Hello all, I am a 35 year old woman with IBS, PCOS and GERD. I am in the process of losing a lets say "substantial amount" of weight, only lost about (10lbs so far). However, lately I have had some flares of IBS and GERR probably from sinus issues and bad eating habits.
    My actual question is I have not had a period in over 3 years no spotting or anything, now all of a sudden I am having a menstrual it has been here for over 2 weeks. It is very light one pad will last all day there is no pain associated with it, I have been a bit constipated but nothing else. I do have an appointment with my doctor, but just wanting to see if anyone has experienced this before...thanks guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
    Re: Absence of period for 4 years, now bleeding for 2 weeks straight???

illuminatehope: It's good you're going to see your doctor. What caused your periods to stop 3 years ago? The PCOS? It's strange and does seem abnormal. Hopefully it's not cancer. You need to be screened for it. I wouldn't be surprised if they recommend a hysterectomy. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there is a blood test many a doctor has not heard of called the AMAS test which may help detect cancer to relieve of that fear. I heard that if a lot of certain types of foods are taken in a mini-period can occur. Hope this helps. :smile:

Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
    all4him
    (female)

all4him HB User

I would absolutely have a full work-up by your doctor. With my PCOS, I had long periods of time with nothing and then I'd bleed forever. The unfortunate thing is that each time this happened, nothing would stop the bleeding except a D&C so I've had 7 D&Cs (2 of those were for miscarriage, 5 were for uncontrolled bleeding). Making sure I get my period regularly has been the key for this to not happen to me. Before metformin, I would take Provera every 2 months to induce a period to clean everything out but now with the met, I ovulate on my own monthly and so get a period monthly as well. It's been wonderful!

But there are so many things that come to mind that could be causing your issues and each one needs a doctor's hand in it. So good luck at your doctor's appointment and I pray it's just something as simple as hormones and nothing serious.

Closed Thread