It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• metformin,pcos,hair falling out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
    anjanie7
    (female)

anjanie7 HB User
    Exclamation metformin,pcos,hair falling out

hi i am new here. Just like the rest of you i'm looking for answers. a year ago my hair started fallin out....i thought i was stress but over the time it got worst. went to see a doctor, did all these test then she recommended i see an endocrinologist. i did, i had an ultrasound of my ovaries and nothing was wrong...my bloodtest, the prolactin was very very high,normal testosterone level, very high t3 uptake,t4,tsh,fti,lh and fsh was ok. the doctor diagnosised it as pcos and put me on metformin. I usually had heavy periods, very emotional and cramps b4 i was put on the metformin also,i hv no problems with facial hair or acne.
    I started to use metformin and it worked!! my hair was growin,it stopped falling, but after 3 mths it stopped workin so i uped my dosage and lessen it... but nothing works it continues to fall drastically....help!!!! wat is it that makes my hair fall??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
    LeaBeans
    (female)

LeaBeans HB User
    Re: metformin,pcos,hair falling out

How are your testosterone levels? Usually and high level of testosterone is attributed to your hair falling out alot. I know because, I recently got diagnosed with PCOS and was also put on Metform. Unfortunately my hair is STILL falling out. I had to dye it blonde to eliminate how obvious it is but, at this point my hair is so bad i may need a wig. Funny part is, my endocrinologist diagnosed me with PCOS and he said that there was NO way that PCOS could cause my hair to fall out as dramatically as it has been. I think that PCOS of left untreated can cause a wide array of problems and I believe it is just a matter of time before they find out more things wrong with me that in time , will be attributed to pcos. I started using this stuff called Joan Rivers great hair day. It has helped me with being less self-conscious when I leave the house. They have it in all diff shades for your hair color so, maybe you should try it out.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
    Valkatie
    (female)

Valkatie HB User
    Re: metformin,pcos,hair falling out

Honey you have a thyroid problem. Your dr should have treated your thyroid as well. Please visit the thyroid message board and post your results there. They will help you. Your hair falling out is a classic symptom of a thyroid disorder.

Closed Thread