It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• PCOS and healthy weight?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
    USmiss
    (female)

USmiss HB User
    Smile PCOS and healthy weight?

Hi everyone, I am new here. I was wondering if anyone here is PCOS and a healthy weight/thin. I know PCOS can often accompany women who are overweight. I was told by my gynecologist that I have PCOS. I am 22 yrs old, 5'4 and 125lbs. I am extremely active and eat very healthy. Is it still possible for PCOS to be present in someone who is healthy and not overweight? The reason the gyne told me he thought I had PCOS is because my periods have been irregular for years (Were irregular in high school because had an eating disorder but have been healthy weight for 4-5 yrs now) meaning it comes every 35-45 days, i have always struggled with acne, and he thought I had extra hair growth. It didn't occur to me that I did but I do think I have a bit more than usual. My arms have very thick, long hairs (thank goodness they are blonde!) and i have some extra facial hair on my cheeks, above lip, and chin. He immediately wanted me to go on a BC pill but I wanted more of a confirmation than just his observations. I don't do well on BC...they make me sick, fatigued, etc. So if I HAVE to go on one, I want concrete proof I have this disorder. He would not order blood work. I was able to get my psychiatrist to order blood work for me. According to him, my Leutinizing horomone was elevated to a level of a post-menopausal women. I am seeing an Endocrinologist at the end of the month so we'll see what she says. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their situations or stories about PCOS with me! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by USmiss; 07-04-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
    pcosMgar
    (female)

pcosMgar HB User
    Re: PCOS and healthy weight?

I have had irregular periods for 5 years. They started getting further and further apart... this last cycle took 7 months. I have been to the emergency room a number of times with abdominal pain that was paralyzing and was told that it's probably an ovarian cyst that burst... and that it's typical.. a lot of women have cysts on their ovaries. One time they did a pelvic ultrasound and saw some free fluid, but no concrete diagnosis and I was never told that I needed to see a gynecologist.

My husband is in the military and so I have to go to military hospitals and until last year had not seen a civilian doctor since the beginning of my situation. I'm not knocking these doctors down, but the typical response I got was, "there are many women who go months or more without a period".. well after much consideration, these doctors see active duty members who have been through stresses and traumatic experiences that could very well play into their situation...

3 years ago, I was diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorder. This was awful... I have been on an anti-anxiety medication ever since. I had gained 40 pounds in 5 years (from 120 to 160.. and I'm 5' 5") and always thought that it was a direct result of my drinking habit.

Last November, I went to a new doctor (we moved) and I had a full work up of stuff done... the biggest thing my doctor wanted to get under control was my liver enzymes.... he said that the liver produces hormones and could be the cause of my non-existent period... S0ooo.. I stopped drinking and have lost 30 pounds.

I got my period in November, shortly after that appointment, I thought great.. he was right...... and then.. I finally got it again a couple of weeks ago. That 7 months was the longest I had ever gone without a period.

I scheduled an appointment with an ob/gyn and then kind of left my doctor no option but to give me a referral.

Went to the ob/gyn today and she is almost certain that I have pcos. I have all the symptoms.... a little extra facial hair... belly hair under the button.. anxiety/depression, weight gain and the list goes on.. Unfortunately, there is no test that say yay or nay to pcos.

I have to get a pelvic ultrasound and transabdominal ultrasound as well as a bilateral breast ultrasound (she found a little lump)... all scheduled for next monday. We will be going over the results in two weeks. I want babies and I feel like I've gotten the runaround for 5 years and it's been an awful experience. I hope that the lump in my breast is nothing serious and that i will have a definitive plan toward getting healthy and preggers.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
    USmiss
    (female)

USmiss HB User

The run-around from different doctors is so frustrating. I understand each one has a different opinion but when it comes to medicine, there should be some degree of consistency. I've had a few doctors tell me that my irregular periods could be caused by working out a lot, but then my gyne said NO. I don't think that's it either because I'm not working out any more than 1-1.5 hours, 6 days a week and I eat good and do not have excessively low body fat. I'm just right. I KNOW there is something wrong inside because each cycle is different. There is never consistency. Sometimes my boobs won't get sore at all, then this time, they got really swollen and sore. I actually just got my period yesterday on day 32, which is the shortest cycle in a long time. But my PMS is SO severe. I also struggle with anxiety, OCD, and depression, which all get magnified by 347854379 before PMS. It's to the point where I'm almost not able to function at work properly because I'm so anxious and having crying spells. I'm already on Prozac, what the heck else do I need? I'm seeing an endocrinologist on July 30th. I hope she can give me some answers--I do feel if my horomones were more level, everything would be a bit more under control. I also have a little bit of extra hair. I swear the hair on my arms has gotten thicker lately. Thank GOODNESS I am a natural blonde!! But I have hair on the side of my cheeks that seems thick, above my lip, on my chin, belly, chest, etc. I mean it's not dark or super long or anything but it seems to be more than what most women would have. I also have problems with my skin, which has been an issue for over 10 years now. Of course it gets worse before PMS too.
    Anyways, thanks for responding. It's nice to know others out there are dealing with similar problems. I wish you luck on your tests. I was never ordered an ultrasound. I read some with PCOS don't even have cysts on ovaries. I rarely ever get really bad cramps although ONE time when I was about 14, I got a severe sharp pain in my ovary that almost had me passing out. That was just once though.
    Keep me updated on your status. I'd like to know what happens

Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
    marian56
    (female)

marian56 HB User

Yes, you can still be thin and have PCOS.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
    USmiss
    (female)

USmiss HB User
    Smile Re: PCOS and healthy weight?

I saw an endocrinologist today. She also thinks I have PCOS. She recommends me starting to take Metformin. I'm scared to start it though. I mean how do we know if I really have Insulin resistence? I'm a healthy weight, I'm active, and I eat healthy. I feel like I couldn't/shouldn't have insulin problems. Diabetes does run in my family but I've never had an issue with high blood sugar, that I know of. I've only had hypoglycemic episodes. Has anyone taken Metformin that was NOT overweight. How did you help/not help you? Did you lose weight even though you weren't over weight?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
    nm21
    (female)

nm21 HB User

only 50% of people with PCOS are overweight. All you need for diagnosis are 2 of the 3: irregular periods, androgen characteristics (hair growth, acne), and an ultrasound that shows polycistic ovaries. You could get an ultra sound, but you already have enough for them to diagnose you.

Birth control would be the best option for you. There are many different types of pills and most side effects go away within 3 months. Have you tried YAZ? I had difficulty with birth control pills, but Yaz worked really well for me without side effects.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
    nm21
    (female)

nm21 HB User

Metformin could still benefit you with PCOS. It is a weight neutral drug so won't necessarily make you lose weight. Can cause some upset stomach though. The best way to test your insulin sensitivity is to give you a 2 hr glucose test. They give you a highly sugary drink, then test your glucose levels. Did your doctor recommend any other medications?

Also per your earlier post in PCOS there are not actually cysts on the ovaries, they are immature follicles waiting for the hormone levels to be high enough for them to be released.

Closed Thread