It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• I'm 16... My doc says I don't have PCOS, but I'm positive I do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
    astorytotell
    (female)

astorytotell HB User
    Angry I'm 16... My doc says I don't have PCOS, but I'm positive I do?

Hi everyone.

I'm quite frustrated with everything that's been going on and I'd like some advice.

I'm 16 years old and ever since I was 14 I've had irregular periods. At first I thought it was normal, but I would go 5 months at a time without a period. My family had been bugging me about going to the doctor to get checked out but I was being stubborn and absolutely refused to go. So instead, I researched and found out about PCOS. Once I read the symptoms, I realized I had most of the symptoms.

I have excess hair growth on my stomach, face, and back. I never really thought too much about it I'm very overweight. I have acne.
    I have dark thick skin around my neck and my underarms.

After finding this out I finally went to the doctors. The doc sent me for blood work and all the blood tests came back okay except my testosterone level is elevated. My doctor wanted to stop there but I wanted a CT scan to see if is cysts on my ovaries. I was sent for CT scan and the results came back fine with no cysts. After this, I was told I don't have PCOS and I'm fine.

It's been almost a year since that visit and since then I've been struggling to lose weight. I'm very frustrated because I believe I have enough physical symptoms of PCOS to be treated for it. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Should I go to another doctor? This has really taken an emotionally toll on me. I don't feel like leaving my house anymore because of these embarrassing symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
    Leetho
    (female)

Leetho HB User
    Re: I'm 16... My doc says I don't have PCOS, but I'm positive I do?

Hi I have polycystic ovaries I went to my doc but I had an ultrasound which is better they said I didn't have it I had endometriosis but then once they had got that under control it gave way for my polycystic ovaries to start so I have both go back to your doctor as you know your body best they can't just tell from a blood test demand an ultrasound scan as that will pick it up better you don't always have to have cysts to have it they can develop at anytime don't stop going out I've live with this now since I was 14 you are born with this and unfortunately there isn't a cure but it can be dealt with by medication such as the pill you maybe best seeing a gynogolist

Old 12-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
    KFaith757
    (female)

KFaith757 HB User
    Re: I'm 16... My doc says I don't have PCOS, but I'm positive I do?

I'm sixteen too and I've been diagnosed with PCOS. I have the dark skin on my underarms and excessive hair growth on my face too. I'm also overweight and I can't seem to lose it no matter what. I originally went to the doctor because my periods had been extremely heavy, but then they stopped and I didn't get one for almost year. When I went in, the doctor ordered blood tests, which showed that my testosterone levels were really high. I was then sent to have an ultrasound, but I was told that you often can't see the cysts because they're so small. Then, I was sent to an endocrinologist, who prescribed me with progesterone. If I don't take it, I don't get a period. You should really go see a gynecologist and explain everything. If your testosterone levels are really that high, then you probably do have PCOS, especially since it sounds like you have the other symptoms like me. I hope you get everything worked out!

The following user gives a hug of support to KFaith757:
    astorytotell (01-31-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to KFaith757 For This Useful Post:
    astorytotell (01-31-2014)
    Closed Thread