It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Ovarian cyst and long term bleeding?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
    jessicanessa
    (female)

jessicanessa HB User
    Ovarian cyst and long term bleeding?

Sorry to post here but I thought you guys might be helpful since you have experience with cysts. I am posting here because I am not sure if what I am going through is normal for a cyst so here is my story. My period in February was almost a week early and afterwards I had some discharge with blood streaks in it so I went to my Dr for a pap smear which came back normal (had an abnormal one in 2006). My period in March was normal and one week after my cycle ended I got severe stomach pain for 2 days and then felt better. Shortly after that I went to the ER because I had some mild stomach pain and was spotting, they did a CT scan and pelvic exam and told me to follow up with my doctor and then discharged me with the diagnosis of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Two days later I saw my doctor who said that the blood work from the hospital showed a vitamin B-12 and folate deficiency as well as Macrocytosis (enlarged red blood cells). She redid the blood work and it all came back normal. She said that if the spotting didn't resolve she would send me for an ultrasound. That whole week I was spotting very small amounts and one day none at all. The end of the week I started bleeding about as heavy as a period so she sent me for an ultrasound. The ultrasound results said.....The endometrium is between 8-10mm. It is homogeneous. Punctate echogenic foci are seen associated with the endometrium at the junction with the myometrium.
    The ovaries are normal in size and echo texture. There is a small 2x1.5x1.6 complex cystic area in the right ovary, likely representing a physiologic crenulated involuting cyst. No adnexal masses.....My dr said that since the cyst is involuted (resolving) my symptoms should be decreasing but they are not. I called her back to let her know that none of my symptoms are getting better and that on some days the bleeding is worse. She said that she is not concerned unless I am soaking through 2 pads an hour. Has anyone ever bled this much from a cyst that has already collapsed? I just want to know if this is normal at all or if I should start to get worried at some point. Any help or similar stories would be greatly appreciated! This all started on March 31st and the bleeding has been going on since April 4th so 12 days now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
    k742
    (female)

k742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB User
    I have bilateral cysts - the one on the left ovary is about the same size you mentioned, but it is filled with blood. It causes me to bleed in varying amounts and consistencies all month long...as in, I have maybe two or three days with very minimal spotting, but the rest are enough that I have to wear a pad. What color is the blood you're seeing? Mine is mostly brownish with some pink mixed in, which means it's older blood and is common with cysts.

I'm not sure what to tell you other than you're not alone - it's not fun to go through, but at least knowing there are others with similar problems makes it a bit more reassuring. Can you get a 2nd opinion from another GYN?

Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
    jessicanessa
    (female)

jessicanessa HB User
    Re: Ovarian cyst and long term bleeding?

Thank you for replying. The bleeding has been bright red or sometimes dark red the entire time and for the past 7 days has been as heavy as a period or worse than one. My dr said that the cyst looked involuted which she said mean resolving so I don't understand why my bleeding is getting worse rather than better. I also hear a lot of gargling noises coming from my lower right abdomen and I still have some pain there as well as pretty bad back pain. I can get her to refer me to a gyn but I'm a military spouse and the military hospital will most likely take my referral which means I most likely won't be able to get an appointment for months.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bleeding that doesn't stop, cyst, ovary, vaginal bleeding