It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• My first internal exam - I'm so scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
    Cookster97
    (female)

Cookster97 HB User
    My first internal exam - I'm so scared

So I recently had an ultrasound scan because I haven't been having my period for over a year now. The results came back and my doctor said that I most likely have PCOS. He then said that the hospital have requested that I have an "internal exam" or a pelvic exam (I think) to confirm this. This is the first time I've had to do something like this and my appointment is tomorrow! I'm only 16 and I've never had sex so you can probably understand why I'm so terrified. Has anyone else ever had to have this sort of examination? If so, does it hurt? what does the doctor do exactly? I think If I know more about what I'm actually going in for then I won't be as nervous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
    parker1261
    (female)

parker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB User
    Re: My first internal exam - I'm so scared

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cookster97 View Post
    So I recently had an ultrasound scan because I haven't been having my period for over a year now. The results came back and my doctor said that I most likely have PCOS. He then said that the hospital have requested that I have an "internal exam" or a pelvic exam (I think) to confirm this. This is the first time I've had to do something like this and my appointment is tomorrow! I'm only 16 and I've never had sex so you can probably understand why I'm so terrified. Has anyone else ever had to have this sort of examination? If so, does it hurt? what does the doctor do exactly? I think If I know more about what I'm actually going in for then I won't be as nervous.
    No need to be terrified sweetheart.....here's what happens....

if your dr is a man, a female nurse will be there....you will lay on a paper covered table and your feet placed in "stirrups" to hold your legs open and support them during the exam. the dr will put on some latex gloves and use a lube to make the gloves slide inside you easier - it will be kinda cold, but thats normal - the dr will insert one, two, three fingers into your vagina and press on your abdomen from both sides....meaning one hand inside and one hand on top of your tummy, kinda like trying to make the fingers "meet" in the middle....and the dr will feel around for anything unusual.....yes it's a bit uncomfortable but NOT painful....it's not embarrassing as they will drape a sheet over your tummy and legs....kinda like a tent, and the exam takes place under the "tent"....it takes about 2-3 minutes....then its done! the dr and nurse will exit the room so you can get dressed and then come back to tell you their findings......

since your 16 you may want your mom or a mom-like person to be with you but that's your call.....its no big deal to do it on your own - either way is fine.....

Hope all goes well ! keep us posted!

Be careful when following the masses; sometimes the "M" is silent !
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread