It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Won't consent to pelvic exam w/gyn?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
    jeanie0
    (female)

jeanie0 HB User
    Won't consent to pelvic exam w/gyn?

Hello,
    Thanks for reading. I wasn't exactly sure where to post this question, because it involves ovarian cysts, but not exactly PCOS. I have my first appointment with a gynecologist coming up. I recently had an ultrasound done, which found a small cyst(only 1.8 cm) on my left ovary. I am in absolutely NO way okay with any sort of internal pelvic exam. I'm over 18 and I have never been sexually active. Will a gynecologist treat me even if he can only look at my ultrasound results/blood work/external exam? Is a pelvic exam always necessary? I'm sick with worry over seeing this doctor, but I know I need to go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Won't consent to pelvic exam w/ gyn?

When was the ultrasound done? And did they tell you or did the report give the type of cyst? 1.8cm is small and most cysts resolve on their own after 2 to 3 cycles. So if your u/s was done recently and the cyst was not suspicious looking then you shouldn't need another u/s for a few months.

I have a fear of all things medical because I was over-treated for an ovarian cyst. But in my case it was large (9.5cn) and probably would have never gone away on its own plus it was suspicious looking although still had a VERY LOW chance of being cancerous. My gynecologist should have removed just the cyst but instead removed all my female sex organs! I have been shocked and appalled that unnecessary organ removal is pretty much the norm versus the exception in Gynecology.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-15-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: Won't consent to pelvic exam w/gyn?

if a woman doctor would make you feel more at ease try a woman doctor, but you need a pelvic exam

Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
    jeanie0
    (female)

jeanie0 HB User

Thank you both for your quick replies!
    STLousigal- I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Did the surgeon even warn you that he might do that?
    The ultrasound was done on Nov. 18, but it was ordered by a gastroenterologist, so he said he didn't know much of this field. The only thing he told me when I spoke to him on the phone was that he received the report which said they found a 1.8 cm cyst on my left ovary. Then asked if I preferred a specific gynecologist. I'm going to the one my mother has seen for 30 years. The reason I got the scan was because I've had very bad pain in that particular spot. I suspected my ovary, because I've had cysts on the left before, and my mother and sisters have had them, too. However, my primary care doctor insisted it wasn't my ovary and sent me to the gastroenterologist(who said my pain and other symptoms didn't match anything gastrointestinal). However, he did order a celiac panel(all negative), because I lost 45 pounds from April to November for no clear reason and the pain could have possibly been an inflamed ilium(I think that's right?) My previous cysts left within a couple of cycles, but I've had this pain for 5 months now. I would just suck it up but it's disrupting my daily life, as sometimes the pain is so bad, I can't stand up or walk. I also can't wear anything but sweats or leggings pulled up high because it's very painful to have anything touch the area, not to mention bloating. Bleh!
    Rosequartz- I'm okay with a male doctor. As I mentioned above, my mother has seen him for quite a long time, so I think I could trust him more than a doctor I haven't met. Man or woman, I wouldn't feel at all okay with it.

Would it be a good idea to call the gastroenterologist's office and request a copy of my ultrasound report?

Thanks so much, both of you!!

Last edited by jeanie0; 01-05-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it's always a good idea to call and get a copy of your test results!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

It is odd that you lost so much weight and have had so much pain. I don't think a cyst as small as yours would ordinarily cause that many issues. However, something is obviously wrong.

As far as my situation, I was deceived about my condition and made the mistake of trusting my gynecologist of 20 years.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
    jeanie0
    (female)

jeanie0 HB User

I picked up a copy of the ultrasound report today. It states the measurement of the uterus and ovaries and says, "In the left ovary is a 1.8 x 1.5 x 1.6 cm anechoic lesion, felt to be a dominant follicle or a simple cyst. This requires no followup. No adnexal masses or free fluid are noted. Otherwise unremarkable pelvic ultrasound." Which sounds like a good thing! I had the same thought, STLousigal: it seems too small to do anything! And now I see it is a simple cyst, too. I guess I'll keep my appointment with the gyn because the pain continues!

That's very unfortunate about your doctor, though. I'm very sorry to hear that. :/ It's great that you're sharing your story with other women, though!!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #8
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, this is good news! I sure hope you figure out what is causing the pain!

Thank you for your kind words. I will never stop telling my story. I am appalled by the greed and inner workings of the Gynecology specialty especially as it relates to hysterectomy and oophorectomy.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #9
    jeanie0
    (female)

jeanie0 HB User

I had to reschedule my appointment with the gynecologist and all he had was the middle of February. I'll post an update after my appointment. Thanks so much for your help!!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
    jeanie0
    (female)

jeanie0 HB User

Hello, again!
    My appointment was rescheduled to this morning, so I thought I'd post a quick update. The doctor and his nurse were very considerate, and I didn't have to do anything against my wishes!
    As for the pain, he looked at my ultrasound report and said he believes the pain, along with my other symptoms, are from irritable bowel- not my ovary. The cyst on the scan was just the kind that you get every month, and they happened to catch it at that time.
    Thanks for your input, both of you!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glad to hear you got the "all clear" on a gynecologic issue. Irritable bowel is sort of a "catch all" when they suspect a bowel issue but there is no definitive diagnosis. Sometimes identifying and eliminating problematic foods is a big help. I hope you find something to relieve the pain and address any other issues with it. If there is a possibility of Celiac disease then you would want to rule that out since that would necessitate going gluten free to prevent the cumulative damage to your small intestines.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    jeanie0 (02-19-2015)
    Closed Thread