It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

• Intrusive thougtss

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
    searching123456
    (female)

searching123456 HB User
    Intrusive thougtss

Hi Everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with PTSD and OCD related to sexual trauma. I am struggling with intrusive thoughts that are seeming to take over my life. There are three main thoughts that come to me everyday, I never know when but I dread them all as I am often sent into tears, panack attacks, rage, depression and hopelessness...The first one is related to a comment my parnter made almost two years ago about how many beautiful women he saw in columbia everywhere....I am canadian and I am plauged daily by visions of him in awe of the women in columbia and how I compair to them, I hear his comment over and over again and it kills me. The second is due to the loss of my emotional suppord dog who I found after being raped, he after ingesting denta bones while at a doggy day care where he was not watched closley, I did not know he was going to die and was so sick as I was told he ate to many cookies and would be fine...my thought is that I was so stupid to not know and take him to the vet right away and that I killed my baby and it is my fault he is gone. This also kills me and hurts so much, I miss him so much. The third is about deep lines I have developed around my mouth due to a compulsion to bite at my cheek and from crying so much over the last two years, I obsess that I am not ugly and terrible looking and agonize that I can't seem to stop biting my cheek. My question is how to I learn to cope with intrusive thoughts and are there any specific tecniques to dealing with intrusive thoughts. I have heard of exposure therapy but the thought of watching naked women on t/v, ect really scares me! any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
    isitme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User
    Smile Re: Intrusive thougtss

Hi,

I am so sorry that you are hurting so bad. I know that feeling so well!

I say it as I see it, I get right to the point, (probably too bluntly for anyone to hear, I know), but trust me when I say there is hope.

Distraction is a good tip. . . But having the energy to move in the first place is so hard. Try really hard and you will make it.
    Thoughts are just that - thoughts. . . .not reality. Mindfulness and Ruby Wax come to mind.
    Say NO or STOP to yourself. That is when you glimpe a little light at the end of the ptsd tunnel. Believe you can conquer and you will. That's not to say the journey will be easy.
    Ptsd is a condition like any other. No one can make the illness go away . . . But you can accept you have it and then learn how to rule it, rather than accepting that it rules you and the nitmare will never end.

You WILL make it.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Intrusive thougtss

Hi...are you still with your boyfriend? And how does he support you emotionally?

I would definitely suggest intensive therapy if you havent done it already. You've had a horrific thing done to your physical and mental psyche. I don't think you will ever not feel the pain, but it's possible for you to gain power over you being that victim and to have the ability to live a better life emotionally.

My condolences on the death of your beloved dog. I would feel the same as you and feel the grief and guilt probably forever. It wasnt your fault, and while we all grow through our experiences....we put a patch on that heartbreak and continue. I backed over a kitten of mine in 1971 (one second it was at the house door, the next it was behind the back wheel...i relive the physical experience when I happen to think of it, and I grieve with tears once again).

Rather than distraction or exposure therapy, you need to learn the tools to recognise the why and regain your self esteem and confidence. The thoughts you are having and the cheek biting are your coping mechanisms. Unless you learn when to intervene during the thought process and why....white knuckling it through by trying to be strong won't work. Cognitive behavioural therapy will help with insight and how your automatic thoughts control your behaviour.

You are not the lines on your cheeks...you are introspective to recognise you chew your cheeks. You can work on that aspect on relaxing your mouth once you start to worry.

Many people use relaxation exercises and/or meditation to relieve and help moderate their stress levels.
    There are medications to help with stress, OCD, anxiety and depression.

If you haven't discussed with your doctor about referring you to therapy or medications, please consider it.

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-10-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Reply Reply