It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

I need some help, I don't know what to do

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
kitkat16 HB User
Unhappy I need some help, I don't know what to do

Hey, I'm new and I'm not sure who to exactly talk about this with so I thought maybe I would get some help here. I chose this board because I have PTSD and so does my friend who I'll be talking about and that seems to be the main thing here.
Anyways, I have a friend who is a great person, but lately I don't know how to feel about them. I'm in the process of bettering myself so I could help other people, which is what I love to do. My friend (who we'll call X) has plenty of mental health problems that I also have. Recently they've been having trouble with family and such, which is understandable, but whenever they get upset they either take it out on me or their friends. These outbursts usually put me in a full blown panic attack and they happen more regularly.
I tried talking with them to maybe hopefully help with whatever is wrong, but my attempts seem to not work. I talked to X's close friend to see if what I was doing wrong and was given all these weird rules and such. I can't talk to them but I can't talk with them, or I can't mention anything about what's wrong or list things or whatever. I've tried many times and nothing seems to work.
This has become a recurring thing though. X gets upset, has outburst, friends and I also get anxious and upset, and then after an hour the situation is put under the rug like nothing happened. Wash, rinse, repeat. I've been trying to make it clear to X and their friend that I have PTSD and anxiety disorders too to maybe have them see that I'm trying to help, but they tell me that it doesn't matter or it's not as bad as X's problems.
I really, really don't know what to do and I feel this is putting me in a bad mindset. Last night it got really bad. Am I doing something wrong? Is it me or X or something else?

Last edited by Administrator; 12-29-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 12-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: I need some help, I don't know what to do

It seems to me that you need to step away from this relationship and concentrate on your own well being. You do not need the added stress of dealing with your friend's condition. You are not doing anything wrong, but you cannot change another person. Your friend needs major therapy; you cannot provide this. Do not risk your own health, take care of yourself first. Sera

Reply Reply