It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

• Perspective from people with ptsd please

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-04-2018, 06:08 AM   #1
    isitme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User
    Perspective from people with ptsd please

Hello all.

PTSD symptoms are raging at the moment which has made me decide NOT to attend my adult child’s funeral. As much as I want to, just putting my sons name and another family members name in the same sentence makes me crumble, blubbering for the wrong reason...not the person I would be if the other person wasn’t there. He doesn’t deserve me to be there in that state. I have battled with his emotional loss for over 2 decades and had many argumentative encounters with the other person regarding him. In a very bazaar way it’s like this is the real loss and for the first time I will have closure eventually.

Does anyone understand? Am I such a terrible person?

It never rains....

Last edited by Administrator; 10-04-2018 at 04:34 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: isitme
    Phoenix (10-28-2018),yayagirl (10-28-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
    Re: Perspective from people with ptsd please

Hello isitme,

Firstly, my condolences....

If you feel that attending the funeral would set you back, I would speak with your therapist (if you are presently seeing one).

Possibly additional medication (dosage) may be warranted.

If not, then you have to do what is right for you.

Many people don't understand what it is to have PTSD and even if you gave them a book on it, wouldn't know how it truly affects certain individuals.

Please post more, if you are up to it and know there are individuals out there that truly are concerned about you.

Blessings
    PHOENIX

Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Perspective from people with ptsd please

Dear isitme,

I think my legs would not even hold me up to go to the funeral of one of my (adult) children, so I can completely relate. I don't think other losses makes the loss of one of the children any easier. I don't think that you are having a certain kind of comfort is strange. We human beings are are complex; and no one knows your relationship with that son better than you. He now understands. Take comfort in that.

I believe your son would want you to take care of yourself. Going to funerals is for people that were left behind, not for the lost loved one. This is not about the person that argues with you about him. Let that person deal with his or her own emotions.

Hugs and empathy,

Reply Reply