It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Need Advice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 159
pfunk HB User
Need Advice

For anyone here who has been raped, could you please tell me how you came to be able to deal with gynecological appointments? It seems to me that with each appointment my anxiety becomes worse and more debilitating, not better. I don't know why this is but I can't do anything to help myself with this at all. I mean it has been into the double digits in years since this event happened and I really think I am getting worse and not better. Is that even possible?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 01-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8
bjinfp HB User
Re: Need Advice

Call your nearest rape crisis center and explain the situation. Ask for a referral to a woman physician that deals with rape victims. When you call the doctor for an appointment, ask for an office visit first, where you just sit in the doctor's office with a desk and chairs, and talk with her about your feelings and problems with anxiety about the exam. Make sure she understands how you feel. Discuss together what can be done about how the exam is conducted to make you feel safe. Agree mutually that at any time during the exam if you are feeling bad or too scared to continue, that the exam will stop, either until you can continue or have it rescheduled. It would probably be best to take it slow, and talk with the doctor during the exam to let her know how you are doing. Also, having an understanding and sympathetic female nurse assisting can be very comforting. Good luck. Write back a post and let me know how it goes. You are not alone.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:01 PM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 159
pfunk HB User
Re: Need Advice

The problem I have found though with that is that when some gynecologists know that you have been raped they assume your symptoms to be psychosomatic and if you do have a true gynecological problem they don't do anything about it. I have only been to one doctor in my whole life who has been compassionate about this.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
CONFUSED with THYROID readings?? I need help? meds do nto seem to be working? bluetou Thyroid Disorders 17 05-12-2011 07:18 PM
Negative HPT but lots of Prego Signs Advice Please kear0001 Pregnancy-Teen 6 04-04-2011 06:51 PM
Help need advice shoegirl18 ADD / ADHD 7 08-17-2010 07:39 AM
In desperate need of help. Just stopped my diet. asjdwf021 Weight Loss 8 06-21-2010 07:01 PM
I need serious advice and help - IM SEVERELY DEPRESSED Brkenhrt Relationship Health 21 04-05-2009 02:57 PM
Help/Advice neededASAP -Fentanyl detox, pain pat. abused meds will need meds in futre Confused089 Abuse Support 34 07-06-2008 05:33 PM
I need some advice, please gorgee Relationship Health 10 06-28-2008 07:43 PM
i need help before i burst!! charlatans Relationship Health 204 04-26-2006 05:43 PM
need some advice please marcen Relationship Health 5 09-17-2004 08:44 PM
Need Some Real Life Advice! jspears Relationship Health 5 01-05-2004 12:37 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!