It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

• PTSD as Normal Reaction to Abnormal Event

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
    Ligotti
    (male)

Ligotti HB User
    PTSD as Normal Reaction to Abnormal Event

While coming to terms with my PTSD, I've heard the disorder described as a normal reaction to an abnormal event. My question is: how can it be called a normal reaction when most people who experience a trauma do not develop PTSD? Wouldn't "normal" imply something happening to the majority of people faced with traumatic situations?

Does the statement mean that anyone could potentially develop PTSD if the right circumstances were presented?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Last edited by Ligotti; 05-26-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
    Re: PTSD as Normal Reaction to Abnormal Event

Hello Ligotti:

I believe the statement was intended to mean that it is not out of the norm for a person to develop PTSD symptoms when introduced to an abnormally stressful event or series of events.

Respectfully,
    Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 05-26-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
    JenniW77
    (female)

JenniW77 HB User

Yes, anyone under specific circumstances can develop PTSD. Everyone's threshold for traumatic issues is different. So while one person can handle a specific situation (like having a gun held on them) and be fine, someone else (in the same situation) could be traumatised enough to develop PTSD. It all depends on the person.

I think by saying its a normal reaction means that anyone has the potential to develop it given the correct circumstances. Not to mention there are varying degrees of trauma, so someone could potentially have symptoms of PTSD (like flashbacks) but they are so mild that they dont realize thats what it is. To them, its just a memory that wont go away, they dont see it as reliving the event.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
    maybecrazy
    Veteran
    (female)

maybecrazy HB User

I agree a normal reaction to an abnormal event that involves fear of loss of life (I think)and if it persists and does not diminish or resolve itself into just a memory - a day in the life of .... then it is PTSD and needs treatment to go away - hopefully forever

MBC

Maybecrazy

Last edited by maybecrazy; 05-31-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

Personally, I think most people who have experienced trauma experience some level of PTSD (or will). Perhaps not enough to justify a formal diagnosis, but...

Closed Thread