It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

• Ptsd?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
    Firegirl12
    (female)

Firegirl12 HB User
    Ptsd?

I think I am losing my mind. I am a 37 year old female firefighter married to a firefighter. I have been doing this type of work for nearly 18 years. This morning, I got my 3 older kids off to school and came in and started reading the news. Long story short, I heard mayday calls from Boston's 9 alarm fire and I think I had a panic attack from there. I had problems hearing initially, everything sounded like it was far away. I was cold, chattering teeth shortly after, then I threw up. It has been a downhill spiral since. My husband thinks this is all related to a ceiling collapse I went through in November. He think PTSD is at play. But I really have never felt any anxiety over that after getting out. So I'm not sure. I don't know what to do but every minute is longer then the last and I feel fear that is making it hard to breathe. I don't know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
    sp898
    (male)

sp898 HB Usersp898 HB User
    Re: Ptsd?

First let me commend you on your duties. I'm not a firefighter but just trying to put myself in to your mindset I would think the constant mental alertness required for the last 18 years of your job could definitely cause some PTSD. You are put in survival mode more than you think. Throw that in with raising 3 kids and yea I can see where you would experience stress overload. You probably haven't felt relaxed in quite sometime. Trust your husbands observations. Maybe a good time to talk to someone.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
    Firegirl12
    (female)

Firegirl12 HB User

Where do I start? I don't know how to even begin.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
    sp898
    (male)

Just a suggestion but google PTSD therapist or psychiatrist in your area. I would look for someone who specializes in PTSD. Also check out your health insurance resources. I am sure you will find relief once you have the opportunity to talk with someone.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
    Firegirl12
    (female)

Firegirl12 HB User

Thank you for your answers. Yesterday I passed out and cut my head. I had to get some stitches, but it gave me a chance to enquire into some care. I have a couple names and I will call one this next week. He started me on a medication to take twice a day as needed which would he thought help relieve the anxiety. So far i am going the non med route, and have had no more symptoms.
    My passing out followed some heavy thinking about what occurred in Boston and the trapped feeling I felt during a ceiling collapse last fall. That was all it took. The ER dr seemed puzzled that I hadn't ever received counseling over the years for some of the things I've seen or been in. As far as I know, it's not routine in any fire dept. Certainly not mine. Anyways, thank you again. It really means a lot that you took the time to answer me.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
    Firegirl12
    (female)

Firegirl12 HB User

Thank you for your answers. Yesterday I passed out and cut my head. I had to get some stitches, but it gave me a chance to enquire into some care. I have a couple names and I will call one this next week. He started me on a medication to take twice a day as needed which would he thought help relieve the anxiety. So far i am going the non med route, and have had no more symptoms.
    My passing out followed some heavy thinking about what occurred in Boston and the trapped feeling I felt during a ceiling collapse last fall. That was all it took. The ER dr seemed puzzled that I hadn't ever received counseling over the years for some of the things I've seen or been in. As far as I know, it's not routine in any fire dept. Certainly not mine. Anyways, thank you again. It really means a lot that you took the time to answer me.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
    sp898
    (male)

Sorry to hear you had passed out. What's interesting is five years ago I was going through a lot of stress. I had a family member passing away and some other things that were going on. I had been this way for quite a few years. It became my norm. I knew I was stressed but didn't realize how much. I was lying down kind of in a dream state and jumped up very quickly and from that I passed out. Like you I went to the ER. They couldn't find anything wrong and said it was probably from getting up to quickly. I kind of knew it was partially due to being under so much stress and it just caught up with me. It turned out to be a life changing moment. As you did I reflected on what was going on in my life. The person I spoke with actually mentioned PTSD to me. I think you may find after speaking with someone you will manage the stress in your life much better.

Closed Thread