It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

• 17 year old son was victim of violent crime

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
    User1229
    (female)

User1229 HB User
    17 year old son was victim of violent crime

Hello All,

My 17 year old son was the victim of a violent assault 6 months ago. His injuries included a fractured eye socket, broken jaw and concussion. Within a month of this happening he started exhibiting symptoms of PTSD. (My brother suffers from PTSD from the military, so I am pretty familiar with the symptoms) His symptoms have progressed to the point now where he is basically exhibiting every symptom I've read of. The problem is, he is in complete denial of having PTSD. He tells me that him being anything other than "perfectly normal" is unacceptable. I have found a therapist that I think may be able to help him, but he isn't on board with talking to anyone. I'm not pushing him, but I can clearly see the effect this is having on his siblings. I want to help him, but don't know how. How do I deal with his denial? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
    lo123
    (female)

lo123 HB User
    Re: 17 year old son was victim of violent crime

Maybe you do more research and let him deal with the shocks his way first, then slowly work together with him on the things you have learnt about ptsd. Things that are known to actually help. Ask professionals for advice what things can be done. Don't push him too hard. Things need to be processed.

Closed Thread