It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board

• Pregnant?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
    coulditbe
    (male)

coulditbe HB User
    Pregnant?

alright im a 17 year old guy that has a 17 year old girl friend,we been together for 2 years and now were decideing to have a baby..our parents is supporting us in this situation so were not worrying about issues with that...my girl friend started her period on november 1st and it ended november 7,then on november 23,24,26 and 29 we had unprotected sex and i ejaculated in her so now were waiting to take a pregnacy test..its been like a week now if i buy her a pregnacy test will it be too soon to show correct results? i dont know about ovulation and all that but i think it would be impossible for her to not get pregnant..for 2 days now she said shes been feeling like throwing up off and on shes been like this before like 2 months ago an she took a pregnacy test then it came out negative,now since i ejaculated in her shes been feeling like she has to throw up and im not sure but i think she been haveing mood swings she can get pregnant that quick in a week? i dont want to buy a test and i waste money on it can it be possible that shes pregnant?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
    cjr4
    (female)

cjr4 HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Pregnant?

OK i had to go register so i could post to you about this. im not trying to be rude or mean but i have to ask first of all why are you TRYING to have a baby at 17???? your lives are barely beginning!! and If you have a baby there goes your future for having fun or going to school! I speak from expierience.. i am 21 and am married with 2 kids and another on the way. they were all surprises and it is soooo hard! my first was when i was 19 and it was so hard! babies are not cute dolls that you can just put down and walk away from!! they are alot of work and money.. Do you have a good job?? i sure hope so because your going to need one. DO you have good health insurance? i hope so because your going to need it! Having a baby right now on purpose is definately not the brightest idea. Im sorry but its true and if she is pregnant good luck because your going to need it. But i really doubt she is. She was past her ovulation dates way past them when you guys had sex which makes me very happy... and no it would not come up a positive test this early she needs to wait until she misses her period which would be due again around dec 1 or so... Are you ready to stay up all night with a screaming crying hungry baby? are you ready to be up all night with a baby that has an ear infection that wont go away. are you ready to pay 10 a week for diapers and another 10 for formula? Money for clothes and a car seat and baby food. doctor bills from what your insurance wont cover?? i dont think you are at 17.. you need to wait unless your ready to not go out with friends anymore, not go out and ahve a drink when you turn 21, miss all your fav movies youve been waiting to see . Your just a kid youll regret it i promise. im not saying this stuff to be mean im saying it to help you. I think others will agree with me. Are you ready to bundle up a child and pack a diaper bag and bottles EVERY time you want to leave? are you ready for temper tantrums and chasing around a toddler for the next 4-5 years of your life? Where are you going to live? at 17 your still in school i would hope at least. If you cant support a baby and you are only having one b/c they are "cute" re think it, its a bad bad bad decision!

Old 12-01-2004, 02:09 AM   #3
    coulditbe
    (male)

coulditbe HB User
    Re: Pregnant?

im currently on home studies,i do have a job working with my dad $620 every friday a little construction work i do...yes i understand your post were responsible people,she came up at me about haveing a baby in the first place..i been thinking about it 1 whole year if i should have a baby by this girl,and yes im willing to put up with all the crying,pooping,peeing,diaper changeing,stay home not go no were and take care of the baby stuff im 100% ready and shes 100% we had family to family talk about all this and both family support it so im like what the heck....its not about how cute the baby going to be its about love...(no shes not my 1st love) i know its going to be hard raiseing the baby and that its gone keep me up all night crying,im willing to go threw it for this girl and shes willing to go threw it....i really dont care by me haveing a baby what its gone put me threw im willing to go threw it for this girl...i know you guys are saying "this kid young he thinks he ready for a baby at 17" iam ready,and if i regret all of it then i just regret it....now this girl been telling me about her periods,ovulation and stuff like that it confuses me,she'll have her period 1 month then the next 2 months she doesnt...then she'll finally get it again on different days in a month it confuses me,she understand it i dont .......when would she start ovulation again? i dont get it

Old 12-01-2004, 05:45 AM   #4
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

What about MARRIAGE???? Was this a topic of discussion when you sat down with your family?
    Personally, I think what you're doing is crazy, but power to you. I do think couples should be married before babies are brought into the mix.
    If you love her enough to have sex and make babies, you should think about marriage first.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:34 AM   #5
    Rms11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rms11 HB User

In a week she mostly likely wouldn't have pregnancy symtoms yet. It's best to wait till her period is late and then take a test. It will be hard having a baby young but hey that is your choice. Your decisions are not for someone to judge.

Last edited by Rms11; 12-01-2004 at 08:35 AM.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
    cjr4
    (female)

cjr4 HB User

ok well if you really think your ready then i guess no one can change your mind... Well honestly it is really hard to pinpoint ovulation. And if shes not getting her periods everymonth its even harder. Theres really only about a 12- 24 HOUR time pd when she can get preg everymonth and even if you have sex when shes ovulating it might not even meet and stick .. alot of people try for a year or more to have their first baby. You could have sex every day of the month for 12 months and she may still never get preg.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #7
    Rms11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rms11 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coulditbe
    .......when would she start ovulation again? i dont get it

Since your gf is not having regular periods it is hard to tell when she will ovulate. A woman is usually able to get pregnant for about 5 days each month. On average, ovulation occurs 12 to 16 days before the menstrual period begins. Therefore, ovulation would occur on about day 10 of a 24-day menstrual cycle, day 14 of a 28-day cycle, or day 21 of a 35-day cycle.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:10 PM   #8
    andrea03
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andrea03 HB User

I would wait till her period is late. If you guys are serious about concieving there are books out there that are quite helpful. {removed} . GOod luck!

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-01-2004 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Please read posting rules. Posters are capable of doing searches on their own without how to information.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #9
    coulditbe
    (male)

coulditbe HB User

yes her mom talked about marriage,a few more years from now i'll be looking into it,maybe it is crazy what im doing but im in the situation were i can support and take care the baby and shes in the same situation...we've been to a planned parent hood they asked us a lot of questions we told them true answers basically what they said is if i can support her and the baby then its us us life do what makes us happy...the only thing im not ready for is my g/f mood swings wich irritates me if i buy her a test and it comes out negative then theres something wrong with her its not normal for her to have them..she barely started doing that couple days ago....she didnt get her period today dec 1st and she still been feeling like throwing up off and on i dont know if she pregnant or what it is,i dont see how she can get pregnant that quick and have symptoms though...ill buy her a test in a couple of days.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:41 AM   #10
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I only think (and it's ONLY my opinion) that you have SO much life yet to experience first before having a child.
    Older, established married couples ofter comment how drastically their life changes when they have a child.
    You are an adult most of your life - enjoy the things that come with being young first - Then have a baby. If it's meant to be, you and your girlfriend will stay together while you're growing up. I just really think you have no concept about what life will be like having a baby so young.
    If I were you, I would try and find other girls or couples that have had children at a young age - Talk to them and get it first hand. Many people I know that had kids young tell me that while they love their children, if they had to do it all over again, they would have waited.
    I am also curious about your parent's. I have a hard time believing they were so supportive about this.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:14 AM   #11
    Regina21
    Inactive

Regina21 HB User

A baby is a HUGE responsibility dear. My fiance' is making great money out here in AZ as a Database engineer and we STILL find ourselves struggling at times to make ends meet. Maternity clothes will need to be bought, baby food, baby formula, baby clothes, crib, stroller, tons and tons of diapers. Not to mention I know I won't be getting any sleep because of the crying. I would prefer me getting up at night because my fiance will be going to work in the morning and I understand he needs his rest. Plus there's the payments of her Dr. Appointments...do you have insurance? It's expensive. I never truly realized until I got pregnant and I find myself getting stressed out at times. Babies are cute...believe me, they're beautiful & amazing miracles and if you have the support of your families then consider yourself lucky. We have no family out here...can't leave the baby (when I have him or her) with "grandma and grandpa"...we have rent, groceries, the other bills like cable, water, electricity, gas....it adds up. Think hard and long about it. Weigh all the pro's and con's, but whatever the outcome, I wish you nothing but the very best.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:25 AM   #12
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User

Having a baby is so much harder than you might think. However, if you and your gf think that it is what you both want, then I wish you luck. Everyone can have their opinions as to why this is or isn't a wise decision, but in the end, you and her are the ones who have to make that decision since you are the ones that will be affected by it. Only advice I could give is even though you may think you are ready, you truely are never "ready". It's a lot more involved and takes a lot more money than you may realize. And with her cycles being irregular, maybe she can do some research on how to look for signs that she is ovulating, like by her cervical mucus. Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #13
    cjr4
    (female)

cjr4 HB User

I agree completely 100% with the last 2 posts. I am 21 and married and we have 2 kids and 1 on the way THAY WERE ALL SURPRISES NONE PLANNED by the way and no matter what protection we used i always get preg so hes getting fixed but anyways haha.... first of what Susieq said about being younge and wished it had happened later! YES YES YES YES YES! we were 19 and 18 when we had our first. We are struggling so much.. my husband has a good job and makes good money also just like you said you do working with her dad BUT you know what it isnt enough. We have 175.00 in the bank right now and we have nothing to show for anythign we have bought becuase it has all gone towards bills groceries diapers formula and anything we NEEDED to buy not what we wanted! Its really hard im telling you i wish youd listen to people.{removed} Youll see and learnt he hard way. you might say, oh i dont want to go to college. well we said the same thing and now that we are in poverty level with money( you are too trust me) we want to go to college and get better jobs BUT guess what we cant because we are having the problem with day care and what to do with the kids and money and how will we get loans and grants for college. If we didnt have kids we would both get to go to school RIGHT NOW but we cant we need to wait. what about when you dont have enough money which i know your thinking we do have enough money they dont know what they are talking about but im sorry we do know because we have been there and doing it right now {removed} . No 17 18 19 even 20 21 yr old is ready for a baby. Its a real slap in the face its a little like this . I also have a hard time believing your parents are all supportive of you and also that planned parenthood has told you to " go ahead and have a baby because you can afford it" it takes money to raise a child but it also takes a ton of patients too and thats somthing most 17 yr olds dont have. Also why are you not in high school? you siad you work with her father. Shoudnt you be in HS? if you dont finish hs thats the biggest mistake you can make besides having a baby right now. I also think of it this way... you getting her pregnant is being selfish because if you really loved her you would not want to ruin her life like that! and a baby ruins lives when your that younge. And also shes being selfish for wanting you to get her preg b/c shes ruining your life too. I know you dont think so but im not kidding in about a year after shes had the baby come back and tell us how easy it is and how much you like it then. I have a friend he is 17 hes still a virgine because he knows if he were to get a girl preg by having sex with her hed not be able to live withhimslef because he would be ruining her life.. now thats the kind of attitude that more younge people need to have these days. please reconsider your decision its not going to be any help to you in the long run just a burden.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-02-2004 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Rude and uncalled for statements.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:12 AM   #14
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Ok I have a bone to pick on some things said. I will say marriage should come before babies but that some times that doesnt happen. I would normally tend to agree that teens shouldnt have babies either but I have seen many who pulled it off rather nicely so I cant sit here and say that I am one to say if you are ready or not. Matter of fact none of us have that right.

Cjr4,you cant sit there and say that someone is or isnt ready for a baby based soley on age. I was pregnant with my first son when I was 20 and had him when I was 21. Dh turned 21 the day after he was born. That pregnancy was planned and yes we were married before we even got pregnant. I was more than ready to have a baby at that age. You cant base being ready for a baby soley on age. There are just too many other factors to consider.
    Yes your experiences are great to hear about but just because you werent ready doesnt mean someone else your age isnt.

As for the original poster why dont you and your gf sit down and write down all the pros to having a child now and all the cons of having a child now. Be honest about it and leave out the help from your families. Look at it as if you two were doing it totally alone such has having a place to live,child care,and so on. If your gf is still is school have her to to the counselor there and ask about any programs they have about showing teens what it is like to have a child. There are programs in which a fake baby is given to the teen to care for. These baby dolls are extremely realistic and can record if the person takes proper care of it or not. See how you two would do with something like that. You can also look around and see if any of the local high school have the teen mother programs. Go talk to them and see what they have to say and see if you two can attend some of the classes to get experience on what that is like.
    Make sure you do attending parenting classes so you can also see what you are in for and to make sure you two have parenting skills. They dont always come natural and it does take a bit of learning to get things right even for us older people.
    Also know that your gf needs to be taking care of herself now. Such as eating right,taking vitamins,and so on to insure her body is in good health to carry a baby. You should know that because she is a teen her pregnancy will be considered high risk which means a whole other mess of things to consider. Such as more doctor visits and so on.
    Just be careful adn make sure you both understand the importance something like this entails.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 12-02-2004, 11:29 AM   #15
    FaithfulyWaiting

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

I just turned 18 in September, and I am 9 wks preg or so. My husband is only 18 too. You CAN make it work, if you want to, and you can cut corners. I am going to breastfeed, there you go, that cuts the formula bill to zero. there are many things that aren't NECCESSITIES in order for a baby to be healthy and happy. It is alot of work. Have either of you taken care of a young baby for any period of time? when was I was 16 and 17 my mother had babies. I have two young siblings that I have taken alot of care of. I know how it is to take care of babies.

Also, why would you not want to get married before you dec ided to get pregnant? If you love this girl, and want to have a child, why would you not want to get married?
    No one can say whether you are ready or not for this step. There are also many state programs that can help with pregnancy etc. if you don't have health insurance you should look into that.

Closed Thread