It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy-Teen Message Board

• depo provera questions...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
    karekinns
    (female)

karekinns HB User
    Question depo provera questions...

Ok so i have been taking the depo for over a year off and on now and i just got off of it on March 9th after my second shot. I bled for a long time, and of course you usually don't regulate fast. although i know that, i've been having symptoms of being pregnant.. i have been before. Anyways i took an at home test and it had a faint light line saying positive. Is it possible to get pregnant while you are bleeding from the shot? Also i the test i took i've had sitting for a very long time ago.. Is it possible that maybe the chemicals from the shot are messing up the OLD test?? should i get a new one? I'm thinking its too soon to even check to see if i'm pregnant or not, but is any of this possible?? If anyone has any info, please let me know, Thanks
    -Kate-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
    mlswim
    (female)

mlswim HB User
    Re: depo provera questions...

I took the shot for six months and stopped. I got my period two months after my last shot was due, but if you've been taking the shot off and on I'm not sure how that would mess up your cycles.

As for the test, there should be an expiration date on the box. If it's old take another one. I know that a "good" test (within the expiration period) can never give a false positive (only negative) but I'm not sure about old ones. It is possible to have your period while being pregnant and the hormones in the shot could not have reported a postive result. I've heard of them causing a negative when it should have been positive but not the other way around.

Check the expiration date and if you're still unsure take another test. Otherwise, make an appointment with your doctor.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
    karekinns
    (female)

karekinns HB User

ok.. what if i don't remember when my cycles started or stopped??

Old 04-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
    njae
    (female)

njae HB User
    Exclamation Re: depo provera questions...

In terms of the pregnancy test, just check to see whether the box is out of date and get a new one. however, in terms of the shot messing up the test this is not possible because when a pregnancy test show positive this is because the test has detected HCG which is a hormone that you body has when you are pregnant.
    The depo shot does not give you body these hormones and so if there was a faint line, chances are that you are pregnant. this happened to me but a bit differently asd i became pregnant on the shot and the line was really fasint aswell.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
    karekinns
    (female)

karekinns HB User

ok so i made an appointment with my doctor and the sent the vial to the lab... (fingers crossed) I should know by tuesday hopefully.. I'm scared..

Old 04-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
    mlswim
    (female)

mlswim HB User

Relax, breathe, don't be nervous. (I know I can say it all I want but it won't help any)...just try and focus on something else until you get that phone call. Otherwise the weekend is going to go by so slowly and you'll stress yourself out really bad. Do something to keep your mind off of it. When I'm trying to keep my mind off of something for a really long time I will buy a 1000 piece puzzle and spend the whole weekend off. If you have other things you like to do then make sure you do them. Hang out with friends, go see a movie or something...don't talk about it too much because that'll just cause you to think about it and there's that stress thing...idk...

Keep us posted! Let us know what happens on Tuesday. I'm praying for you.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
    karekinns
    (female)

karekinns HB User

Thanks alot.. I still havn't gotten results so yeah tomorrow is the day. I'm going to stop by my doctors office myself just in case they want to talk.. aahh... tomorrows the big day!!!..lol

Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
    marinewife12
    Inactive
    (female)

marinewife12 HB User

Good luck...let us know how it goes!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
    karekinns
    (female)

karekinns HB User

well the results weren't what i hoped... i'm quite sad, but o well.. i figured... BUt theres always next time..

Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
    marinewife12
    Inactive
    (female)

marinewife12 HB User

What do you mean "not what you hoped." Were you wanting to be pregnant? Are you not? If you're wanting to be pregnant, are you not taking the shot anymore?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi im a mother of a 15 yr old daughter she has no baby as of now but shes becoming active can she take the shot if she hasnt had any kids yet ? i took the depo for 4 yrs and i loved it i never had a prob with it but i also allready had 3 kids my period returned allmost right away once i stopped i was 39 then now my daughter needs something cause shes way too young for a baby and im hoping it helps with her moods i took the pills too but i liked the shot alot better id get my shot every 3 mos and i had no trouble at all while i was on it but shes met this boy and she been acting strange like ...........vic

Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
    hi im a mother of a 15 yr old daughter she has no baby as of now but shes becoming active can she take the shot if she hasnt had any kids yet ? i took the depo for 4 yrs and i loved it i never had a prob with it but i also allready had 3 kids my period returned allmost right away once i stopped i was 39 then now my daughter needs something cause shes way too young for a baby and im hoping it helps with her moods i took the pills too but i liked the shot alot better id get my shot every 3 mos and i had no trouble at all while i was on it but shes met this boy and she been acting strange like ...........vic
    I would not advise anyone to use the shot, especially a 15 year old girl! The shot may have been fine for you, but for many others out there, myself included, it was horrendous!!! Another thing, the shot is NOT recommended for use longer than 2 years due to the risk of bone density loss, which is the reason for the black box warning that the FDA put against Depo. I would seriously consider another alternative such as the pill. It is a heck of a lot safer than Depo. Just read some of the stories on this forum about Depo. We all seem to have the same problems appear after using Depo. Like I said before, not everyone experiences problems, but it does seem like more do have problems.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 AM   #13
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ok thanks i will do that she goes to gyn i wish i didnt have to worry about all this but i dont want her having a baby either shes too young my niece who is 16 now was 15 when she had her baby and they are still kids they dont need no baby i will ask the gyn whats best with me i took it 5 yrs ago and nope i had no trouble at all but they are finding more and more stuff out there these days but thanks so much,something out there will be right for her and i hope it helps with her moods too.........vic

Old 05-10-2007, 02:59 AM   #14
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

well im having prob what kind of probs do you mean cause im having some trouble not sure if its related to the shot or not ,

Old 05-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
    well im having prob what kind of probs do you mean cause im having some trouble not sure if its related to the shot or not ,
    well, I experienced many problems from the shot. I was on it from 94-96. The biggest thing was that I didn't get a period during the 2 years I was on it, which is normal, but my period didn't return until 5 years after my last injection, which caused infertility. When my period did return, it only came a few times each year. It wasn't until 9 years after I stopped Depo that my periods returned to normal. I was also diagnosed with PCOS and diabetes, which the doctor that diagnosed me blamed my PCOS on my using Depo....and the PCOS is to blame for my diabetes.

Exactly what kind of problems are you experiencing?

Last edited by barton93; 05-10-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Closed Thread