It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Is being overweight dangerous during pregnancy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2017, 04:28 AM   #1
    bassie81
    (female)

bassie81 HB User
    Unhappy Is being overweight dangerous during pregnancy?

My age is 37, and I weigh around 202 lbs. I married my husband in 2014, and we have been married for 3 years. I heard so much about the risks in being pregnant after 35. Since we had no more time to wait for a baby, we decided to have one as soon as we could. In the late 2015, I got pregnant. My baby was healthy enough, and unfortunately I failed to carry it properly. As a result, I had miscarriage. I suffered from a great depression at that time. Somehow I managed to overcome the grief from my unborn baby's loss.

We are childless, and we want at least one child. But doctors say it could be risky for me as well as for my unborn baby if I try to conceive again. My eggs quantity and quality is good enough to get pregnant. But my overweight condition doesn't allow me for that. Even now my husband is saying no to me for being pregnant. He's now considering child adoption. But I'm not ready for that because I want my own baby. What should I do now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Is being overweight dangerous during pregnancy?

I would think the appropriate step would be to lose the weight. There are many good programs and methods to lose it. You don't want to endanger yourself and your unborn child during pregnancy nor while you are raising the child. Lose it for both your sakes.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
    bassie81
    (female)

bassie81 HB User
    Question Re: Is being overweight dangerous during pregnancy?

We visited a fertility clinic yesterday. But before that, we both went for counseling together. Since my overweight is the only problem, I asked her whether I can go for any weight loss surgery or not. Because I thought that it's only way to help me reduce my weight quickly. And when my weight would be under control, I can get pregnant with no problem. But she didn't like this idea. According to her, weight loss surgery should only be considered when there's no other option left and one's life is at high risk due to extra overweight. Even weight loss surgery may have some severe side effects, the worst is death (very rare). So she advised us not to go for any weight loss surgery. Instead, we should consider child adoption or surrogacy if we want to have our own baby. My husband is ready for child adoption, but frankly speaking I'm not. So we decided to visit a fertility clinic to know more about surrogacy. The fertility expert said that surrogacy is the best option we can go for. Through surrogacy, we can get our own baby which will be carried and delivered by a surrogate mother. But this whole procedure of surrogacy will cost a lot. I like the surrogacy, though it'll cost us more than enough. But I want to know if there's any way other than surrogacy to get our own child.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. I just wanted to put in my thoughts. I would definitely not consider bariatric weight loss surgery. The risks are very high and you will be told no strenuous activity for at least a year and no lifting or anything of that nature. You will not be able to get pregnant right away and if you do, you increase the risks to your own health.

You seem to be against adoption, which in my opinion is a shame because there are so many children in this world who do not have a chance to have a happy family and it sounds like you and your husband would provide a happy environment to raise a child in. But this is your decision.

Surrogacy is expensive no doubt. You keep looking for another option, but there really isnt one. Unless you can drop 50 lbs in the next year and still be fertile enough to try to conceive, you have no other options. At your age it is so very rare to have good quality and quantity of eggs- take advantage of this because in another year you may not have this same opportunity. Go for the surrogacy! This way it will be your own child without endangering either yours or your babies health.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #5
    bassie81
    (female)

bassie81 HB User
    Question Re: Is being overweight dangerous during pregnancy?

I would like to say thanks to both of you for replying to me.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-09-2017 at 06:25 AM.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
    09Sophie
    (female)

09Sophie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bassie81 View Post
    My age is 37, and I weigh around 202 lbs. I married my husband in 2014, and we have been married for 3 years. I heard so much about the risks in being pregnant after 35. Since we had no more time to wait for a baby, we decided to have one as soon as we could. In the late 2015, I got pregnant. My baby was healthy enough, and unfortunately I failed to carry it properly. As a result, I had miscarriage. I suffered from a great depression at that time. Somehow I managed to overcome the grief from my unborn baby's loss.

We are childless, and we want at least one child. But doctors say it could be risky for me as well as for my unborn baby if I try to conceive again. My eggs quantity and quality is good enough to get pregnant. But my overweight condition doesn't allow me for that. Even now my husband is saying no to me for being pregnant. He's now considering child adoption. But I'm not ready for that because I want my own baby. What should I do now?

Obesity or overweight is one of the major factor that effect pregnancy. If you want your own child then you have to work hard. Start gym or exercises or follow a strict diet. Nothing is impossible. Be strong and positive. Good Luck.

Closed Thread