It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Downsyndrome baby premature!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
    guitarbabe2007

guitarbabe2007 HB User
    Exclamation Downsyndrome baby premature!

Hi my name is Heather,
    My cousin is expecting a baby on march 17th and it is downsyndrome we just hope the baby makes it through but we got a call today saying she is in the hopsital with early labor does anyone know the chances of this baby surviving? We are all really worried for her so if anyone has any advice or knows anything please respond to this!

Thanks, Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
    sentedshowergel
    Inactive

sentedshowergel HB User
    Re: Downsyndrome baby premature!

I think that the further a baby gets away from the sixth month, the more of a chance they have of surviving. That probabley dosent help much. I hope everything turns out for the best.

Old 01-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
    sentedshowergel
    Inactive

sentedshowergel HB User

I also wanted to say that babys develope very differentley. Some babys who are born at 8 months could have lungs less developed then some at 7 months. Ive even heard of a lady who was induced because she was 3 weeks over her delivery date and the baby wasnt ready to come out, he still hadent finished developing.
    My friends baby has down syndrome, she was born 3 weeks early and is fine but saposadley, babys with ds can have a lot of problems, includeing heart trouble.

Old 01-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
    Ginger9708
    Veteran
    (female)

Ginger9708 HB User

I was in the hospital for 4 weeks before having my baby and noticed a few things. Some babies develop at a different rate. I had a roommate whose baby was born at 34 weeks but was breathing on his own. My daughter was 35 1/2 weeks and unable to breathe on her own for a few days. The doctor at my hospital said that there was a 100% survival rate for babies born 27 weeks and over. Im not sure if down syndrome is going to be any different, but Im sure every situation is different so you cant count on any one thing for sure. Being she is 7-8 weeks early (32-33 weeks) that is pretty far along. I remember when my doctors were going week by week progress while I was pregnant, and my doctor had told me that at 33 weeks babies do very well.

Lin
    mom to Amanda 18 months
    24wk7day

Last edited by Ginger9708; 01-18-2004 at 02:26 PM.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #5
    HeatherW

HeatherW HB User

Heather,
    My daughter was born at 32 1/2 weeks and she was very small (4 .2 oz) but she was good on everything else. It is possible for the baby to do just fine. I am sure that they have started her on steroids in addition to trying to stop the labor pains. I have seen babies in the nicu that are smaller than one pound so the baby should be big enough as long as it is strong enough physically (don't worry some are not strong enough full term so it has nothing to do with the ability to stay in there the whole time. Heather W.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
    misserika

misserika HB User

My neice was born last August at 29 weeks gestation weighing 3 pounds exactly and today she is perfect and healthy as can be!

Old 01-19-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
    MoonGoddess672

MoonGoddess672 HB User

My son was three weeks early and was only 5lbs 7ounces, fortunately for us he was healthy as anything but my little brother who was actually overdue was born at 5lbs even and had to stay in the hospital for a week due to the fact that he couldn't breath on his own and that he was a very small baby.
    Everyone is right, you never know exactly what to expect until the baby is born even if they are born on the due date or after doesn't mean really anything, every baby works on their own timeline . The best thing to do is pray and have hope, I'm sure everything will be fine good luck and best wishes!!1

Old 01-20-2004, 06:38 AM   #8
    lane7eir
    Veteran
    (female)

lane7eir HB User

heather,
    my son was born at 32 weeks. he did fine, was in the hospital for a month and came home a full 4 weeks before his due date. today he is 2.5 and a little devil . studies have shown that preemie girls traditionally do better than boys, hence the nickname which my husband hated "wimpy white males". however, with every day that baby is not born, the stronger he will get. good luck to your friend!!!

Closed Thread