It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Doctor Frustrations - Glucose test, etc.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
    beabonnet
    Veteran
    (female)

beabonnet HB User
    Doctor Frustrations - Glucose test, etc.

Last Friday, I went for my 1 hour glucose screen. I have no idea why, but before they even gave the screen test to me, they did a finger stick and got a 190. Based off of that my ob basically diagnosed me as having Gestational Diabetes and referred me for nutirional counseling and finger sticking training, etc.

Well, the program I went to required me to meet with their doctors first before having nutrional training. At first the doctor thought my doctor was being hasty in diagnosing me with just that one finger stick, but she decided to treat me as having GD anyway. Well, after long discussions, I insisted on having the 3 hour glucose test. The doctor agreed, but suggested we do the nutritional training while I was doing the test (assuming I was going to fail the 3 hour test anyway).

Well, guess what.........I passed the whole test. You need to fail 2 out of 4 to fail the whole thing, but I passed every single one. Only one of the number even came close to the limits and that was the first hour result (177 my value - test limit 180). By the second hour, my level was low enough to pass both the second and the third hour blood limits.

I think they were a little annoyed that I passed. I really got the impression that because I'm overweight and there's diabetes in my family that they had decided it was best to treat me as having GD without making sure. But they also did say that you can't diagnose GD off one finger stick - that the doctor's office may want to check their meter- and that they don't usually have someone get referred to them for nutrional counseling without having had the 3 hour test done. But even with all that, I was asked if I was happy with the results - almost like "are you happy - you won the fight."

I'm glad I insisted, though, because now I don't have to stick myself 4 times a day, eat 6 times a day and worry about whether I'm eating too few carbs because of the diet and as a result possibly creating ketones which are harmful to the baby.

Don't get me wrong, if it came out that I failed, I would have cooperated - not that I would have been happy about it. I'm just glad I insisted, because I don't need the stress of worrying about a condition I don't have and worrying about producing ketones that could harm the baby.

I know my OB is going to have that I passed, and she'll be testing again. That's fine with me. I just don't want to be treated for something I don't have.

Her next thing is going to be the size of the baby already. She had me go for another ultrasound and at almost 27 weeks, the ultrasound showed the baby weighed 2.5 pounds. The tech said that was a bit big but it wasn't that bad at all. The way my doctor put it was that the baby was just a little big bigger than normal. I wished I had asked the normal level. BUt I have read that it might be 2.2. I kind of wonder about this though, because my husband is 6' 4" tall and the baby early on registered as 5 days older than the due date anyway. i've got to go again in about 4 weeks. I don't mind the ultrasounds (they're fun except for the water), but I hope this doesn't mean too much messing around with natural baby growth. Is everyone right smack on average or does average mean some are a bit bigger than the average and some are a bit smaller than the average?

This is all after, btw, I was getting signals early on that they might have to pull me out of work early for blood pressure. My blood pressure early on was just a little bit above their target levels, which btw, was an excellent blood pressure for me. Now, fortunately, it's way under their radar.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm still a bit annoyed. I know they mean well, but sometimes, really..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Doctor Frustrations - Glucose test, etc.

I failed the fingerstick, too. But passed the 3 hour test. The week I had the fingerstick, we'd had a number of birthdays at work -- lots of donuts and treats. So I'm sure that was what did it.

Old 02-14-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
    Lucylou

Lucylou HB User

I also failed the 1 hour glucose test, but I didn't have a fingerstick. They drew a vial of blood. I passed the 3 the hour test. I'm suprised your doctor didn't even order the 3 hour after you failed the first one. I also have diabetes in my family. The doctor told me that just because you fail the first one doesn't mean you have gestational diabetes, but that they need to rule it out. Do you like your doctor? Have you considered changing? If you're not happy with your doctor, remember it's never too late to switch.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
    beabonnet
    Veteran
    (female)

beabonnet HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lucylou
    I also failed the 1 hour glucose test, but I didn't have a fingerstick. They drew a vial of blood. I passed the 3 the hour test. I'm suprised your doctor didn't even order the 3 hour after you failed the first one. I also have diabetes in my family. The doctor told me that just because you fail the first one doesn't mean you have gestational diabetes, but that they need to rule it out. Do you like your doctor? Have you considered changing? If you're not happy with your doctor, remember it's never too late to switch.
    Actually, they never ran the 1 hour glucose either. When I got to the office, they did a finger stick for a baseline and I got a 190. This was after I ate 2 english muffins with rasberry jelly on them 45 minutes to an hour before they took the baseline. Based on that, they decided not to run the one hour and not to run the 3 hour.

I got myself a monitor and started checking my blood myself because they scared me half to death. I read up on GD and was trying to be careful of what I ate. I was suprised to find I was getting what looked to me like very normal readings after I ate. So, I started to experiment a little (slowly) as I was waiting for my appointment for GD counseling. NO matter what I ate, I couldn't seem to duplicate the result they got in the office. The highest i got was a 158 an hour after eating a meal with an extremely rich brownie parfait with richest brownie in it I can recall eating as dessert( I even felt a sugar rush). It just didn't make sense to me.

I pushed the endo at the diabetes clinic to do the 3 hour, because she seemed to want to press forward too without testing and then of course, I passed. Then they said it was premature for my doctor to have diagnosed me without the 3 hour and that maybe they ought to check their meter that they used to do my finger stick that morning.

I do like the doctor. I'm just frustrated a bit. She's also been highly recommended by various friends and other doctors. There are 5 doctors total in the practice and I'm seeing a different one next time. I'm trying to meet them all before delivery. Maybe seeing a different one will help a bit.

I just really needed to vent the other day because I felt like I had just finished a heavy battle.

Closed Thread