It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Pregnancy Carpal Tunnel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
    1st timer

1st timer HB User
    Pregnancy Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone had this? My hands are starting to hurt pretty bad. My Dr. told me to buy hand splints, has anyone used them? and have they helped? They're kind of expensive and it just seems like a lot of money to spend if they're not going to help....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
    Angela4
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela4 HB User
    Re: Pregnancy Carpal Tunnel

I have it. It's miserable, and so frusterating. Do you work at a computer all day? I do and I know thats what's causing it. Have your feet started tingling yet? Mine have, just like my hands, the lower part of my legs tingle too. I haven't tried the splints, that's what my doctor recommended too. It seems like they would be so uncomfortable to wear while you are sleeping. As if sleeping right now isn't uncomfortable enough! I'm normally a stomach/back sleeper so it's been quite an adjustment trying to sleep on my side, my arms are always uncomfortable. I'll be curious if anyone else has tried the splints. How much were they when you saw them?

Old 05-24-2004, 10:29 AM   #3
    1st timer

1st timer HB User

I just looked them up on Walgreens website, they had some that were $21.99 a piece. My right hand (mouse hand.. yes, I work on a computer) definitely hurts more, but I think I would get one for each hand. They are both uncomfortable.

Yes, my feet are starting to tingle also... it's such a joy...... I just keep repeating to myself 9 1/2 weeks to go.... 9 1/2 weeks to go...... BUUUUUUT I have only 22 work days left. That helps alot. I took approx. 5 weeks off before the baby... for a little R&R before the big day.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
    Amy2003

Amy2003 HB User

My hands are also hurting a lot these days. My doc too asked me to use the splints but i have not so far. It will be nice to know if they really help!
    Angela, how did you doc's app go? For your legs maybe you can try using a foot stool or a box or something. I heard it helps!
    Amy

Old 05-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
    ErinE

ErinE HB User

I don't have carpal tunnel but I do have another condition that I have a wear a brace at night for. I hate it but it really does help. I can tell the difference the days that I didn't wear it the night before.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
    Comptons
    Veteran

Comptons HB User

So...I guess I'm not the only one. This is miserable. I've pretty much lost all normal sensations in my right hand. My left one bothers me at night. When I sleep on my left side, the left hand hurts and tingles, and when I sleep on the right side, the right hand does it....???? What is one to do? I've had it bad for about a week and I can honestly say that I think I must be getting used to it because it doesn't bother me as much as in the beginning. I only have 7 weeks to go. I do not know about the braces, but I wonder if they can be borrowed from someone.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:20 PM   #7
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Hey all. I had my baby girl on April 30th but I still like to check out this board. I started a thread like this when I was pregnant too, but hardly anyone responded. I had awful pregnancy induced carpal tunnel and was told by my doctor that the only thing I could do for it was to wear the wrist braces at night. It was so bad I couldn't sleep, couldn't hold anything tightly, and couldn't elevate my hands for any length of time. I'm a hairdresser so it was really tough. Anyway, my mom had had the surgery for Carpal Tunnel a few years before this so she had one brace I used that helped somewhat, and I went to Wal-Mart and got another for the other hand. The one I got was around $12.00 and was just as good as the professional one that my mom had.

One piece of advice I will give you though, is to get a brace that fits around your thumb, and extends longer down the forearm than the smaller braces. You don't want the shorter braces because they don't support your wrist enough. The braces didn't completely take the pain away, but I could definitely tell the difference on the nights I didn't wear them. Also, don't wrap the braces around your wrists too tightly either. I made the mistake of doing this one night and woke up with a hand the size of a baseball glove. Just make sure it's tight enough so that your wrist can't bend too much.

Hope this helps and if you all have any more questions, feel free to ask and maybe I can help. Oh, by the way, I still have the Carpal Tunnel but it is much, much better than it was when I was pregnant. Take care.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:51 PM   #8
    Angela4
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela4 HB User

1st Timer, I only have til June 30th and I'm quitting my job also. I can't wait!!!!! It feels like it will never get here though, I swear time is slowly ticking by.
    Amy, my appointment went well! They are scheduling another U/S in about a month since they couldn't see the kidneys last time (probably because I was at only 18 weeks, but just to be safe). I'm glad I'll get another chance to see the baby before she is born, and when she is so much bigger.
    I've tried propping my feet up at work but it doesn't seem to help much.
    The splints are SO much money, I just can't see paying it. I'm hoping the carpal tunnel will go away once I quit my job.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:19 PM   #9
    Amy2003

Amy2003 HB User

Angela, glad to know your app went off well. It will be so nice to see your baby so soon again!
    I dont know if lot of computer work is inducing carpal tunnel. I dont work and i am on computer for just a few hours daily but still i have noticed my carpal tunnel is getting worse slowly and gradually. I am seriously thinking of using the splints.
    Amy

Old 05-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #10
    Angela4
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela4 HB User

Let me know if you try the splints Amy and how they work. I definitley think working on a computer is making it worse, I'm literally on one for 8 hours a day, no breaks for meetings or anything, it's torture!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course I'm sure other people have gotten it who don't work with computers also. But for me I know it's the computer because when I'm home on the weekends it's fine.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:33 AM   #11
    1st timer

1st timer HB User

I'm going to get the splints today after work. I'll let you know in a day or so if they are helping.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:20 PM   #12
    Nella985

Nella985 HB User

I had carpal tunnel really bad with DD. I work in an office and was on the computer all day too but mine was never as bad during the day as it was at night. I just went and bought a regular wrist support brace, it didn't have the splint or anything, you just slip it on. I don't think it was over $10. Mine was really bad in my right hand so I would elevate my hand on a pillow so it was even with my head. It helped so much! I think I had it from about 20 weeks on and it was completely gone the night after I delivered.

Good luck - I know it's miserable but hang in there!

Old 05-27-2004, 06:34 AM   #13
    Amy2003

Amy2003 HB User

I bought the regular wrist support brace and have been using it for 2 nights now and i do feel the difference. I used it on one hand to see if i can feel the difference and yes there is a huge difference. I did not buy splints as i felt they would be very uncomforatable so i just bought the regular wrist support brace which has velcro so you can adjust according to your wrist size. I would definately recommend usng it! I picked it from Target for $8.
    Good Luck and let me know if anyone of you use them.
    Amy

Old 05-27-2004, 06:41 AM   #14
    1st timer

1st timer HB User

I went and bought the regular wrist splints and they def. do seem to be working. I little hard to function if you have to wear them on both wrists, but at least they don't hurt anymore. (During the day, I only wear it on my right wrist because that one hurts alot more than the left.) I don't find any problem sleeping with them on either.

I also found out that they were covered under my insurance.... not something that I thought would be. My mother suggested that I call and check, and they were. If you look through your policy, they fall under Durable Medical Equipment. It's worth a shot, mine would've cost me $60.

Closed Thread