It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• What can a normal ultrasound detect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
    kristi_p

kristi_p HB User
    Question What can a normal ultrasound detect?

I have had ultrasounds before and perfectly healthy babies.

This time around for some reason I am more paranoid than I usually am in my pgs.

So I was just wondering what can a normal first ultrasound detect at 20 weeks.
    I am not at 20 weeks yet but when I get my ultrasound I will be.
    Can it detect downs syndrome or any other disease.
    Or does the test where you get that needled in your belly only do that(sorry can't think of the name of that test, it is on the tip of my tongue, ughh).

Thanks for any input!
    ds 08/21/02
    dd 03/15/05 Ashley Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
    andrea03
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andrea03 HB User
    Re: What can a normal ultrasound detect?

A normal ultra sound can measure the baby, possibly detect the sex. I just had my screening for downs and spina bifita and that was a blood test.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Amniocentesis...don't you just hate that feeling when you have the word but can't spit it out. I know the amnio is 100% correct when done to determine anything from disabilities, abnormalities and the sex of the baby but I think they generally leave those for women over 30 something who have a higher risk of Downs syndrome, and also for women who have had abnomal blood screening or ultrasounds that show an abnormality. There are risks involved with that procedure though. I know one person who had it due to age, but all turned out just fine. Goodluck.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Ultrasounds check the growth of the baby, amount of amniotic fluid and can detect the possibility of some genetic disorders that are usually followed up with more accurate tests. When I was pregnant with my daughter, the utrasound detected that there was only one vein and one artery in the umbilical cord when there is supposed to be 2, which could indicate heart or kidney problems that they recommended amniocentesis to find out for sure (I opted not to do that due to the risk of miscarriage from the test). They can also determine the sex of the baby if it is positioned right. I think they check for a lot of things that are usually normal, so they don't mention them.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
    kristi_p

kristi_p HB User

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
    I am 30, will be 31 when baby is born. I have no history of any diseases in family and no abnormal blood test.
    I am just paranoid, thinking too much, you name it.
    My doc will give me a choice for the amnio, I have never had one and don't think I want to due to the risk.

So jmcummins3, how is your daughter now, everything turn out alright?
    Tomorrow I have doc appointment. LAst time I didn't get to hear heartbeat, placenta was in front. BUt he said growth was great and placenta sounded good.
    Since he thought everything was fine I opted to wait on the ultrasound til around 20 weeks.

Thanks again and wish me luck for tomorrow!!
    ds 08/21/02
    dd 03/15/05 Ashley Rose

Old 09-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #6
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User

kristi - my daughter was absolutely fine. I found out years later (my daughter is 9 1/2 years old now!) that it could have been because I have a pelvic kidney (fully functioning kidney, just not in the usual spot - I've never had ANY problems with it) and my daughter could have the same thing (they didn't think to look for that, so I don't know for sure). It is no big deal, unless we were to need surgery or something, and the usual symptoms for kidney stones (only on my right side) could be misdiagnosed for appendicitis, but my dh and whole family know to mention my pelvic kidney to ANY doctor needing to operate in that area. We also now know to have them check for that with my daughter before operating, but thankfully, she's never needed any kind of surgery.

My original point for bringing it up was that they discovered the abnormal umbilical cord during the 20-week ultrasound (although they didn't know much about it at the time). I think they look for all sorts of stuff that is normal most of the time, so they don't bother to worry us over it.

Closed Thread