It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• concerned about hCG levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
    concerned99

concerned99 HB User
    concerned about hCG levels

Hi all,

I have a question...This past Wednesday, ny dr took my blood to check my hCG levels and said that it was at around 475 @ 4 weeks pregnant and said that was very normal. She asked me to take one today about 48 hours later (already did) and she is expetecting the numbers to double.

I am just concerned that will the numbers double that much in 48 hours? Also, what happens if the numbers don't double, does that mean I am going to have a misscarriage?

If you could get back to me soon, that would be great!

Thanks!

-concerned99

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User
    Re: concerned about hCG levels

The level does increase rapidly in the first trimester, but I'm not sure exactly how/when since the ranges are very wide. Someone posted a few weeks ago the ranges for wach stage of pregnancy. You may want to look back a few pages and see if you can find it. I don't know that there is any correlation between the hcg levels and miscarriage. Some people have posted that their hcg levels were so low that their pregnancy tests came out negative for quite a while and their pregnancies are fine. There are soooo many things to worry about when you're pregnant. I wouldn't worry too much about the hcg levels unless your doctor specifically tells you there is a concern and what that means.

Old 11-26-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
    concerned99

concerned99 HB User

Thanks for replying back! I am still awaiting for the results which I should get by the end of today. I hope to God that the levels are doubling as planned. It would be terrible to hear about complications or anything of such sorts.

Then again, I have also heard that other women have had successful pregnancies even if the hCG slowly climb.

Any other input would be great!

Thanks,

-concerned99

Old 11-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
    cattieos
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattieos HB User

HCG levels are supposed to double every 48 hours until about somewhere between 8-12 weeks, when they will level off. At about 7 weeks mine was 80,000! Which the dr said was really high! But I think that a low level can mean an etopic pregnancy, or that the pregnancy is progessing as normal, or it can mean that your levels just aren't as high. Some stuff I saw said that there is a correlation between the higher the levels the more morning sickness and stuff you suffer, if so I believe it i was horribly sick! So, in that case having low numbers would be good! Anyway, every study says something different so it's probably pretty hard to know. If you are really worried about it ask the Dr. and see if she will order an ultrasound for you, although I dont' know how much they can tell at 4 weeks. Good Luck!

Old 11-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #5
    JesterGirl

JesterGirl HB User

your numbers look great!

Closed Thread