It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• She said dont take prenatal vitamins!! :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #1
    tallgirl1982
    Veteran
    (female)

tallgirl1982 HB User
    She said dont take prenatal vitamins!! :(

I am really upset today! i went to the doctors thinking i could get some prenatal vitamins but they dont do them and i said what ones can i buy behind the counter and take that arent large pills and she reccommended a syrup! had no iron or calcium and had too much vitamin A!! i mean i thought she was a doctor!!!

I went to another chemist after my appointment and the pharmasist said its better not to take prenatal vitamins!! just folic acid! i know thats important but i thought other vitamins were vital too!! considering most pregnant women cant eat all that healthy stuff anyway because they are sick! I am not sick yet but i said i was just to see what she would say, i said i cant eat alot as i am sick and she said i still dont need vitamins!!

Is it just in the UK that doctors dont seem to care much about prenatal vitamins or is it just me over reacting?
    I feel really angry and embaressed for going up there and sugessting it all now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
    andrea03
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andrea03 HB User
    Re: She said dont take prenatal vitamins!! :(

I was told to take flinstone chewable vitamins when I got sick. The folic acid is very important! But so is keeping your iron levels up as well .GOod [email protected]

Old 01-17-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
    tallgirl1982
    Veteran
    (female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

Thanks for your reply. How much vitamin A do they have in them? i am not sure how much of it i can take a day.
    Thanks

Old 01-17-2005, 07:26 AM   #4
    jaybird75
    (female)

jaybird75 HB User

i'm not sure what prenatals you're going to find that don't look like horse pills. it definitely sounds a little weird to me that a pharmacist would advise you not to take prenatal vitamins, since as you pointed out, many women can't eat what they should be eating due to morning sickness - and in general, most people don't get enough vitamins from their daily diet anyway.

are you unable to swallow the large pills? i had a problem with them from about the 8th/9th week to the 13th week, so i didn't take them - but made sure to drink lots of orange juice, eat lots of fruit & green salad, drink lots of milk - these were things i could eat even when not feeling well. i'm about 15 weeks now and i'm feeling much better, so i've started taking them again. i take one at night, and it's not so great cause the pill is pretty big, but i manage to get it down. if you can't deal at all with the pill, maybe try making yourself a vitamin smoothie or something? you know, lots of fruit juice with vitamin c, etc., maybe add some what germ or some other healthy things. if you worked it right, you probably could just take the folic acid pills - which are tiny - and then make sure you eat the right quantities of fruits & vegetables to balance out the rest of your vitamin needs. you know, spinach, sweet potatoes, beans, citrus fruits, etc.

either way, my personal opinion is that you definitely need your vitamins, no matter what the pharmacist says. how far along are you now, anyway?

Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
    tallgirl1982
    Veteran
    (female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

I just felt that none of the pharmasists or the doctor in fact knew what they were on about! yeah they pointed out folic acid but thats it!
    I have decided to crush it all up and hold my nose and put it all in my mouth and swallow it with juice!! LOL!! at least my stomach wont have to break all that down as its powder already.
    When m/s does rear its ugly head (if it does which i hope not) i have been reccommended unisom and b6 to help with that so i will take the prenatal after that when it starts working so i dont feel sick with it! should have thought of that earlier.

I am only 2 weeks but i have allways wanted a baby and after 1 time of trying i thought i was pretty lucky! as many women take months or even years! so i am going to make sure i look after my baby!

Claire xx

Old 01-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
    saraht1
    Inactive
    (female)

saraht1 HB User

Weird huh? I never heard anyone say "don't take prenatals". I wonder what the reasoning was? I know too much of certain vitamins can be bad for the baby but as you stated most of us don't get enough of the right vitamins. Maybe for 3 days you can take a journal of your food and see what you are missing. I use a regular womans vitamin and take a seperate folic acid tablet.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
    tallgirl1982
    Veteran
    (female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

When she said its better if you dont take them! i didnt know what to say. I dont have one which contains vitamin A so i know thats its ok, and the dosages in it are small. Apart from calcium which isnt in it! so i am getting a seperate chewable calcium, i dont allways agree with professionals! so i am listening to all the pregnant wome out there who know best

Old 01-17-2005, 09:15 AM   #8
    astw22
    (female)

astw22 HB User

Ive never heard of anyone not recommending prenatal vitamins..did you ask her why it is better not to take them??? As others recommended.. check out what you are missing in your diet and supplement that way if you want.. or just take a prenatal vitamin.. either way just be sure you are getting all the vitamins and minerals needed to help grow that baby of yours... if you find they make you sick especially with the morning sickness try taking them before bedtime! Good Luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Married DH - February 10, 2004

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DD Avery Born - November 23, 2004

Old 01-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #9
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

You could mix the crushed vitamin in a smoothie to make it easier to take. But I think prenatal vitamins are definately good for you...and if they are "Prenatal vitamins" they won't have anything or too much of anything pregnant women shouldn't have. They also contain folic acid.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User

Hm... I personally don't take prenatals. Just folic acid. But I have a history of very high iron levels (14 early pg, 12 at 24 weeks) and have diet very high in calcium. So I just take folic acid and a one a day. My body obviously doesn't need supplemental iron and I get really constipated, so after confessing to my doc that I hadn't been taking them and her seeing my levels, THEN she said "well, you don't need them, then."

However, she had been insistant up to that point that I take them.

But, I have seen studies lately that show that 1) not everyone needs high iron prenatal vitamins (like me) and 2) those who have a tendency towards pregnancy anemia, iron supplements don't always help that much.

Maybe that's what they were going on?
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 01-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
    TulipDawn
    (female)

TulipDawn HB User

I haven't been able to take prenatal vitamins since I became pregnant. I was losing weight because the sight of food made me sick. My doctor told me it was better for me NOT to take prenatal pills if it meant I would eat something. She did recommend flinstone vitamins with iron. She said the amount of iron in prenatal pills is very high which is what causes the nausea and can play a part in some morning sickness in some pregnant women. The flinstones with iron has half the amount of iron as prenatal pills. I was instructed to take one every 12 hours.

It's not unheard of for a md to tell you not to take prenatal pills but I think it's a bit odd for them not to give you a substitution.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
    HopingChris
    Veteran
    (female)

HopingChris HB User

The 1st thing my doctor did was put me on prenatal vitamins. I have NEVER heard out of all 4 pregnancies not to take prenatal vitamins. I took folic acid on my own until the doctor gave me a prescription for the prenatal. That just sounds weird.

Chris

Old 01-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #13
    tallgirl1982
    Veteran
    (female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

Thats could be, but they never checked me over or anything so they dont know all the info about me.
    I am not too worried anyway i will carry on taking my big pills until i can no longer stomach them! LOL!! as long as i get my folic acid

Old 01-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #14
    dm76
    (female)

dm76 HB User

Hi, at the beginning of my pregnancy I was taking flinstone because I couldn't tolarate the regular vitamins. There are as good as the prenatal vitamins. My doctor recomended them to me.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:54 AM   #15
    tallgirl1982
    Veteran
    (female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

Mabie doctors are different in the UK! suppose in the USA you all pay for your meds as we have NHS here and they all have to pay!
    Anyway i have enough good info i think so i dont need to ask them anyway! LOL

Closed Thread