It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Choroid Plexus Cyst????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2005, 04:55 AM   #1
    2fst
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

2fst HB User
    Choroid Plexus Cyst????

I went to the dr office's yesterday and he went over my 20 wk ultrasound with me. He found a Choroid Plexus Cyst on my babys' brain. I have to make an appointment for an ultrasound to go over this at the hospital. The dr told me not to worry. But I would like to know more about this. I am not sure what it is. Should I be worried? Is there something more I should know about this? The AFP test came out perfectly fine with a 1 in 6450 chance of a down's baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User
    Re: Choroid Plexus Cyst????

Hi 2fast, Your Dr was right in telling you not to worry. Choroid Plexus Cysts are fluid filled spaces in the Chroid Plexis. They are seen in approx. 1% of all second trimester ultrasounds. These cyst can be seen in one or both sides of the brain. The number,size,and shape of the cysts may vary. These cysts can also be found in healthy children and adults. When these are detected in a fetus they usually disappear on their own by 24-26 weeks gestation. They have never been known to interfere with normal brain development or cause brain damage. Most likely the choroid plexis cyst is normal for your baby and you will have a healthy child.

* Some researchers have seen an association between these cysts and a chromosome abnormality called Trisomy 18. ( Trisomy 18 = severe brain damage and physical abnormalities. Most fetuses with this Trisomy do not live until birth) The chance that a fetus with isolated choroid plexis cyst(s) has trisomy 18 is felt to only be about 1% or less if the rest of the ultrasound exam was normal. This means that there is a 99% or greater chance that the fetus does not have a chromosome abnormality. Choroid Plexis Cysts do not cause trisomy 18, it is just merely one of those things where should a choroid plexis cyst show up AND if there are OTHER CONTRIBUTING FACTORS, then that would warrant further chromosome testing to check for the possibility of a trisomy.

I hope this helps some. Try not to worry, i am most sure that you will have a beautiful healthy little baby!!!!!!! Have a great day!

ValleyGurl

Old 01-25-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
    2fst
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

2fst HB User
    Re: Choroid Plexus Cyst????

Thank you for the info I really had no idea what he was talking about. And he had me worried because sometimes I think he says not to worry so I do not panic. But I still want to know. Thanks again.

Closed Thread