It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Hair coloring and pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
    JLMandPaul
    (female)

JLMandPaul HB User
    Question Hair coloring and pregnancy

Ive heard that there is a certain time during a pregnancy when you should stop getting your hair colored, is this true? I get my hair highlighted every 6-8 weeks and Im about due to get it done again. The last time I had it done was right before my wedding in December. Im in my 7th week of pregnancy. Anyone else hear of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
    Frynd1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Frynd1 HB User
    Re: Hair coloring and pregnancy

I would stop getting it colored now. It varies for everyone and you could end up with a strange 'do. You might have to wait until after your baby is born on this one.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
    Di12779
    (female)

Di12779 HB User

I asked my doctor the same thing and I was told that it will not in any way harm the baby to have your hair colored or highlighted, the only thing to watch out for is hormone changes that may cause your hair color to come out differently than you expected. Now I am just about 20 weeks and I have had my hair colored and highlighted during my pregnancy and I have had no problems. I do want to point out that I have not gone any lighter with my hair color and the highlights are reddish. I have had no problems, but you never know what will happen if you go lighter. If your adverterous try it, I would but that's just me!

Last edited by Di12779; 02-05-2005 at 10:18 AM.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I had one doctor tell me not to color my hair during the first trimester, and another tell me that it is fine to color your hair anytime during pregnancy, just understand that the hormones may make it come out looking funny. I color my hair, but have switched to semi-permanent color, which doesn't have the harsh chemicals and is basically like shampoo. I also like my hair lighter, but have gone darker and closer to the depth of my natural color during pregnancy so it wouldn't look funny, but also because it doesn't show so much when I don't get my roots done every 6-8 weeks. That will help in late pregnancy and also when I have a newborn and it's more difficult to find the time and energy to even take a shower, let alone go to the salon. There is much controversy on the board as to hair color during pregnancy.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
    Di12779
    (female)

Di12779 HB User

I too have heard conflicting views on the issue which is why I asked the doctor. He ended up giving me a book called; Planning Your Pregnancy and Birth Third Addition. There are 7 doctors involved in the researching and writing process and it is written by The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. It states in this book that, "many women worry about hair coloring during pregnancy because they fear the dye may be potentially harmful to their baby, however hair dyes are most likely safe during pregnancy. Beware, pregnancy changes hormone levels so the hair color may not come out as expected". In my opinion it is really up to the individual to decide what is right for them during pregnancy, some may decide that they want to continue on with coloring their hair, whilst others may feel it better to lay off it for a while. I tend to do mine every couple of months and I can totaly see your point in easing up on it JM! Once we have our little ones, having an hour or two to spend in the salon is not going to be as practical as it is now!

Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 AM   #6
    Aunt-Bon
    Veteran

Aunt-Bon HB User

I am a hairdresser so I have heard all of the doctors versions most say it is safe but if you can to wait until the first tri-mester is over. You say you get your highlighted, then the color is most likely not even touching your scalp so you should be fine. With me being a hairdresser I had to color my hair, I waited until my 10th week and then did it.
    8/11/04 via C-Section
    10lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 inches

Old 02-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
    Zayazmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Zayazmama HB User

I talked to both of my docs (my regular OB and my PN), and they both told me that it was okay to do it. They did tell me however, that with the changes going on (and the changes can affect your hair too), that the color may or may not turn out right. However, my neice, who is about 37 wks works in a salon, and she has her hair done regularly has never had a problem. I am 32 weeks and dying to get my hair done because oddly I keep getting a lot of grays (im only 29), but I am waiting until after I have my baby to do anything.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
    Mmshelll
    (female)

Mmshelll HB User

I asked my doctor this same questions - I told him I get mine highlighted using a bleach product and he says this is better than coloring as long as the bleach isn't a really strong smell. He says the chances of anything happening to the baby w/either is very slim, but just to be safe try to wait 10 to 12 weeks of pregnancy.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
    hugs28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hugs28 HB User

When I was pg with my daughter, I used to color my whole head all the time, then I stopped and started just highlighting it every so often, without any problems. With this pregnancy, I just colored my hair a few weeks ago and I tried to go lighter with the first one, it did nothing to my hair, did not change a bit, the next day I did it again, with an even lighter color and it barely changed it, I skipped the next day, then the day after that I tried again, this time with a almost platinum blonde color, it finally lightened it, but it is only about a dirty blonde color, no lighter. I thought that it would be my luck that if I did the real light blonde, it would finally take and I would be lighter then I actually wanted. Thank god it did not happen that way. but I think because of the hormones, it did not want to take like it should have. good luck

Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
    Altson
    Veteran
    (female)

Altson HB User

Have colored throughout all 4 pgs, no problems. I think you'll have less "accident disclorations" like some have talked about here, if you let a professional stylist color/highlight you while you're preggo.

Closed Thread