It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

need advice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1
sweetlips1984 HB User
need advice

well I'm not sure if I've come to the right place but I need some advice from others....I just recently found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my first child....this was a shock for my bf and I because I was on the pill and we werent really expecting it but we are keeping the baby and are happy..but the big issue is where we are going to live...see he lives 45 mins away from where I live all my family is here and all his is there...I dont want to move there and he doesnt want to move here but yet we wanna be reason for not wanting to move there is my father is very sick with emphysema and I want him in my childs life as much as possible and both my parents dont drive but his parents we are kinda confused on what to do about that issue...then my next concern is I dont have a family doctor..Ive been trying to get one for about 6 years not but its useless in this town so if anyone out there has gotten pregnant without a family doctor can you please tell me what my next step would be??? you can email your advice to [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ] thank you

Last edited by moderator2; 03-13-2005 at 06:29 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-14-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 172
hreiter HB User
Re: need advice

Well I am not sure what kind of advice to give you for the living situation... I was just wondering how old you were? DO you still live at home?

As far as the family doctor thing, I don't have a family doctor either... you need to go to an OBGYN... Since you are on the pill, I would think that you have one in order to get the pill....

Old 03-14-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,148
Frynd1 HB User
Re: need advice

You can get birth control pills from anywhere. Family physicians, universities, teen pregnancy centers, ect. An obgyn doesn't have to perform the pap smear. You do need to find an obstetrician though. They specialize in caring for pregnant women and delivering babies.

Neither you or your boyfriend have a place of your own? Where ever you decide to live, plan on seeing a doctor that lives in that town. Personally, I'd just live where ever I felt was best for the baby. I wouldn't base it on my own wants. I'm in a similar situation and have decided to move home and take care of my baby until the father finishes college and can move back home. We live 3 hours apart and it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for my son.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,258
jmcummins3 HB User
Re: need advice

What about finding a place half way in between? If you're only 45 minutes apart, that would be about a 20 minute drive to each grandparents' house and you and your bf can make the drive out to your parents' house if they don't drive.

As far as a doctor, you really need to find an OB/GYN soon. It is important to get good prenatal care from the beginning.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 72
tomuchbagange HB User
Re: need advice

yeah, 45 minutes is not far at all. I guess it all depends on if you can drive. I think a decideing factor should be where you both work or go to school, and where you can afford to live, not where your parents live.

I just moved to a new city then got pregnant. I have insurance (HMO) so I had to just pick one out of the book and called to see if they excepted new patients. I don't have a family doctor here either.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10
youngmommy HB User
Re: need advice

if you have insurance, just take tomuchbagange's advice.
if you don't have any insurance, then you will need help with the cost of your medical bills most likely, and depending on your income, medi-cal or medi-care can take care of all or part of your medical expenses. you can apply for medi-cal (that's what it's called here in CA) or medi-care through the state welfare office, just look it up in your yellow pages.
it was very easy for me- i made an appt. at the clinic near my apartment, and when i went in and took my pregnancy test, there was a lady from the welfare office there to help me fill out all the forms and help me pick my doctor.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Post nissen fundo need some advice and assurance Aryana70 Acid Reflux / GERD 32 08-09-2012 08:06 AM
Help need advice shoegirl18 ADD / ADHD 7 08-17-2010 07:39 AM
I need serious advice and help - IM SEVERELY DEPRESSED Brkenhrt Relationship Health 21 04-05-2009 02:57 PM
Help/Advice neededASAP -Fentanyl detox, pain pat. abused meds will need meds in futre Confused089 Abuse Support 34 07-06-2008 05:33 PM
I need some advice, please gorgee Relationship Health 10 06-28-2008 07:43 PM
Need advice about going back on old meds, need advice please reply!!! kaydenxo Fibromyalgia 3 01-19-2007 11:40 AM
i need help before i burst!! charlatans Relationship Health 204 04-26-2006 05:43 PM
Need Advice! trainerjr Pain Management 3 06-01-2005 11:33 AM
need some advice please marcen Relationship Health 5 09-17-2004 08:44 PM
Need Some Real Life Advice! jspears Relationship Health 5 01-05-2004 12:37 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:05 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!