It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Very little to no fetal movement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
    bmederos
    (female)

bmederos HB User
    Unhappy Very little to no fetal movement

I am 32 weeks and had a normal ultrasound at 18 weeks, about the same time I started feeling some slight movements. By 22 weeks I could expect to feel 1-4 small movements a day, a least 5 days out of the week. Now at 32 weeks I have hardly had any increase in movement - it's always the same, just a couple slight movements that I could easily miss if I wasn't concentrating and I regularly don't feel anything for hours or a day at a time. And I am concentrating, I take mornings off from work and spend hours at night laying down with my hand on my stomach, sipping orange juice and trying/praying to feel any movement. Last night I tried for 3 hours and finally felt one "shift" of the baby.
    My doctors do the non stress tests (NST) that come out satisfactory. During the NST the nurse watches the monitor and tells me when there is a movement but I don't feel a lot of them and I am convinced the baby starts moving during those tests because I am so stress/anxious before and during them. Now the doctor is sending me for ultrasounds once a week (starting next week) but admits that he has no idea why I don't feel any movement or there isn't any movement most of the time.
    Could this be normal? I am not overweight, eat fairly well and regularly throughout the day?
    The whole thing is making me miserable and crazy. I end up crying almost once a day, convinced that the baby is already dead because I haven't felt anything in so long!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User
    Re: Very little to no fetal movement

i'm sure your baby is fine. please try not to be so stressed. easier said than done, right?
    i think i've heard that sometimes toward the end of the pregnancy you don't feel the baby move as much because it's getting bigger and there just isn't that much room for it to move around. i hope that your u/s puts your mind at ease.
    please update us and i pray that your little baby is fine. i'm sure she is

Old 03-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
    JAMIE0512
    (female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

No please dont worry! When i was pregnant with my first child ( now 12 weeks with my second) i didnt really feel her ever.... they say if u dont feel movement in 24 hours to call the md, well i would have been at the office every day if that was the case!!! what i did was get the fetal heart monitor and that eased my mind!!! but i really wouldnt worry, because seriously i only felt my baby maybe once a week! and that was alot!!!! the only thing i really felt was hiccups. and it may just be that u have a calm baby, she was calm in my belly and she was calm when she came out!!! it really doesnt mean anything.... she was healthy and beautiful, and nice to mommy.... they dont want to cause too much trouble!!

Old 03-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
    packerfan4ever
    Veteran
    (female)

packerfan4ever HB User

I am glad to hear you went and got everything checked out, and it's GREAT that your doc is keeping a close eye on everything. My best friend was having scares about not feeling her baby much. She too, had a routine U/S at around 16-18 weeks. She could feel the baby move a lot then. During the U/S they found that her placenta was laying over her cervix. She started having problems feeling the baby moving about 3 weeks ago (she is now 36 weeks). They gave her another U/S and found out that the placenta has moved in front of the baby; keeping the movements less detectable to her. Maybe the way your placenta is lying is causing the same thing? Just a thought....good luck. And everything should be fine with everyone keeping an eye on it.

Last edited by packerfan4ever; 03-25-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
    off kilter
    Inactive

off kilter HB User

Both of my babies where I felt little movement turned out to be laid back kids. The kind that slept well, ate well, and were really easy going. The kind that looked at me around age 5 and said Gee! you have been a super Mom do you mind if I go to school now. " always a pleasure to have in class". My one baby that was super active during my pregnancy turned out to be a real ceiling climber always on the go always into something ( not always in a positive way). He was a real challange to raise. The kind of kid that gets suspended from both the bus and school the first day of 1st grade. Love them all. I think kids are born with a basic personallity type and maybe Mom's can tell before their born. In that case quiet babies in the womb may be quiet easy babies when born? I have nothing scientific to support this just my own theory.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hi, im nearly 22 weeks pregnant and dont feel very much movement, or if there is l am not picking it up, l was told to wait for week 23/24 as the placenta ia cushioning the baby so it can be a bit difficult to feel the baby.

Im sure all is well for all of us. Take care

Old 03-26-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
    2fst
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

2fst HB User

When my mom was pg with my sister she felt very little movement during the whole pregnancy. The dr said it was because she laid from side to side. Like she was in a hammock. With her head by my mom's one hip and her feet resting to the other hip. So i would think it would have to be the way the baby is laying. Maybe to make it easier on you, you should look into renting or buying a doppler. That way when you get worried you can check up on your little one.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
    cattieos
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattieos HB User

I get worried about it too! And if I don't feel some movement every couple of hours, I run for the doppler! I even called the dr the other day because, even though he was moving, and sounded good on the doppler,and I had done the OJ thing and got ten in 20 mnutes, the movements weren't as frequent and not as hard as they had been! Talk about paranoid, lol. But my placenta is attached in the front too, and that makes it harder to feel him sometimes I think. I think as long as you are feeling some movement, it is ok. And espcecially since the dr says it is! I was a very very small baby, and my Mom couldn't feel me very well, she is very tall, and I just had a lot of room. Maybe that is the case.
    Anyway, hope all continues to go well!

Closed Thread