It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Anyone told the baby was a girl and it turned out to be a boy?Or vise versa...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
    Bohemian Belle
    (female)

Bohemian Belle HB User
    Anyone told the baby was a girl and it turned out to be a boy?Or vise versa...

At 18.6 weeks I was told the baby was a girl and I'm thrilled.I really want to start putting the babies room together, but I've heard that sometimes they think it's one sex and then later it turns out to be anouther.Does anyone have any recent stories about this they would care to share?

I'd rather do a gender specific room rather then a "neutral" room for either a boy or a girl...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
    Valerie_s
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Valerie_s HB User
    Re: Anyone told the baby was a girl and it turned out to be a boy?Or vise versa...

I think with as advance as ultrasounds have gotten I wouldnt worry about it especially if they showed you or took a picture of her little "area" I mean it does happen but if you saw it I would decorate in pink!

Old 07-29-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
    Kaleb's Mom 04
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User
    Re: Anyone told the baby was a girl and it turned out to be a boy?Or vise versa...

It did happen to my co worker whose wife was pregnant and due 3 months before me with my DS (last year). They were told girl and then at birth found out it was in fact a boy. I was told boy and we got a really good shot of his private area and was pretty sure but I had a gender neutral nursery and didn't take any tags off the outfits until he was born. I have heard the errors are usually where they tell you girl, but don't know for sure. Cause as you know those Ultrasounds aren't all that clear, so better safe than sorry. I had an amnio this time so we will find out for sure in 10 days or so. And I know how excited I am to find out. Good luck!
    It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Last edited by Kaleb's Mom 04; 07-29-2005 at 08:52 AM.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
    Fullfire
    Inactive
    (female)

Fullfire HB User

My mother was so thrilled when she heard she was having another little boy. My mother even picked out a name," Jacob, " to find out at birth I was really a Jessica..lol

Old 07-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
    dsleik
    Inactive
    (female)

dsleik HB User

my parents said my sister and i were told we were boys and obviously they were wrong and then my little brother they said was definately a girl. 3x wrong but who knows how much u/s have advanced, after all this was in the 1983-1987 so i think they are more accurate now!! do you have a definate shot of the ultra sound that you know for sure its a girl?

Old 07-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
    MissT
    Veteran
    (female)

MissT HB User

hah yea thankfully technology is better now. I was supposed to be "Michael", think of all the fun pregnancy stuff I'd be missing if I had been. (sarcasm) heh

I have the same fears because we've done the room as a boy and have boy clothes. I saw very obviously on the u/s that he was a boy but I think the fear is always in the back of your mind.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
    anna86
    (female)

anna86 HB User

The doctor told my parents I was a boy, but to their suprise I was a girl. But it was the 80's and I think the doc was going on size and position, not a def. ultrasound. I was 8 lbs exactlly. To be sure I am going to get a 4D in a few weeks. Plus I think it would be worth the money to see the baby in such detail. I have a regular untrasound in a few days but even if the lil one cooperates I doubt I will believe them because of the inaccuracy. 4D claims to be like 99% accurate on gender...we'll see.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #8
    mom'o'5
    (female)

mom'o'5 HB User

My 2nd child was 100% all girl, I was knee high in girl clothes. Guess what he isn't. Yes, I was told that he was a girl when infact he wasn't. My suggestion to you if you really want to know, is to get the 3d ultrasound. I had one done and it was very accurate. You can see it plain as day, there really is no mistaking. I paid 100$ for mine, and I got about 15 pictures, a video, and a money back guarantee if they couldn't tell me the sex. I believe they have cheaper ones too. Hope you get what you want!

Old 07-30-2005, 12:04 AM   #9
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

man...after reading all ur posts....i'm scared to find out now. i am 14 weeks and i'm going to find out soon. i just want to know. imagine how much stress i'll be going thru once i find out what i'm having...cuz there is always chances of it being wrong. but i'm not in a hurry to run out and buy clothes, i'll just get neutral for now. thanks guys!

Old 07-30-2005, 04:50 AM   #10
    friday13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friday13 HB User

Not if you get the 3d or 4d u/s... sounds like you get what you pay for!!!

Old 07-30-2005, 06:29 AM   #11
    Bohemian Belle
    (female)

Bohemian Belle HB User

When telling us your "change of sex" stories , please note what year this occured. It seems that there are fewer mistakes these days , but they do still occur.

Anyone get a 3-D or 4D for less then $100? Is there any risk to the babies health involved in getting these photos?

Old 08-02-2005, 06:38 AM   #12
    cbnk

cbnk HB User

I have two boys. With my first, I was told it might be a girl..ok, I can see she wasn't really sure. With my 2nd, my new doc said she was 99% sure it was a girl. I spent four months creating a personality and a baby that didn't exist, as Miss Amelia turned out to be Mr. Rhoan. But he is beautiful and healthy, and when first delivered all I could do was laugh! Luckily my labor was not a traumatic one, and I was able to deal with the disappointment and loss (sounds strange, but there was a bit of loss there) pretty well.

My advice is to not bother finding out. Either that, or I'm one of the few people in the US whose babies like to hide. I'm still trying to figure why I never see anyone on the BabyStory on TLC that ever has an ultrasound that is wrong.

Best of luck, and whatever you are blessed with, remember you are BLESSED

PS, This was 4 years ago, and 1.5 years ago...so very recently!

Last edited by cbnk; 08-02-2005 at 06:39 AM.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #13
    Rebbie2
    (female)

Rebbie2 HB User

I was told when I went for my 20 week ultrasound that it was 'probably' a girl because they couldn't see any 'bits'. I'm not 100% convinced, but I've still gone out and bought some pretty girly outfits, amongst lots of neutral stuff. I did read somewhere that the genitals look very similar until about 30 weeks, so mistakes can easily be made, especially as the ultrasound in which they tell you the sex is at about 20 weeks.

Don't forget, there's always the chance that your baby will be shy when you go for your scan, and you might not find out even if you want to.

I didn't have a 3D/4D scan and think it's a bit expensive just to find out the sex. If it was for other reasons, ie checking for abnormalities, I'd be OK with it, though. I believe the amnio test can also tell you for definite, but you are unlikely to have this done unless there is a risk of Downs Syndrome. There is a set timescale to have this done (about 16-18 weeks, I think), so you'd have to decide pretty quickly if you were to consider this.

I'm the same as you with regard to the nursery as I prefer colours to neutral shades, so I might wait till after the baby is born to do any painting and keep the baby in my room for the recommended 6 months whilst any paint odours are settling.

Rebbie

Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #14
    pittbulllover
    Inactive
    (female)

pittbulllover HB User

"I'm the same as you with regard to the nursery as I prefer colours to neutral shades, so I might wait till after the baby is born to do any painting and keep the baby in my room for the recommended 6 months whilst any paint odours are settling."

WHat kind of paint are you using??? In the US we don;t have to keep babies out of rooms for 6 months!!!

Old 08-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
    mom'o'5
    (female)

mom'o'5 HB User

My innaccurate gender reading occurred in January of 2000. And I have seen them advertised recently for 65$. Also, they told me it would have no negative effect on the baby, and I gave birth to a healthy 11lb.13oz. boy, but he does have acid reflux. Not attributed to the ultrasound.

Closed Thread