It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Is it possible to go into labour without baby engaging first?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User
    Is it possible to go into labour without baby engaging first?

Well my due date has finally arrived, yea! I went to the doctor on Wednesday, and she said the cervix is starting to open (about a fingertip), but the baby was not engaged at all. She said the head really needs to come down in order to open the cervix up. But I am wondering if it is still possible to go into labour first, and the baby engaging afterwards? I would have to think so, as women with breech babies go into labour without the help of the head on the cervix????
    I am just so anxious to see this little guy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
    InDueTime05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

InDueTime05 HB User
    Re: Is it possible to go into labour without baby engaging first?

Yes it is possible. This is coming from a woman who had to push through a little bit of cervix to get the baby out. DD's heart was dropping. When I went to be induced they came in to break my water but DD was still up too high. I started Pitocin at 7:30 am and when they came back to break my water at 11 she was still up. At 7pm she had moved down but not as far as she should but her heart rate was dropping so they made me push through cervix. Had she been lower my cervix would have been no more. I went in at 2cm and 80% so I thought she was low.......oh no! She was my little pistol. She kept turning and wouldn't drop so I thought she'd be a small baby. Yea she was 7lbs 15oz. She never was on my cervix long enough. Like I said every week in the last 5 she was in a new position. Good luck!! Try walking that sometimes brings the baby down.
    Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
    Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I have never had a baby drop/engage before labor and even during labor I have had a couple of them still "floating".

Most babies though will drop/engage into a nice position before labor. If your cervix is already opening a little then evidentally there's plenty of pressure there.

Walking up and down stairs is supposed to help get baby in a good position and apply pressure to the cervix. Just a thought.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

I hope so as I'm five days overdue and my baby is still at -3!! The midwife told me that labour can start without the baby being engaged and it would drop in once the contractions got going. Which direction is your baby facing? Mine is back to my back and the midwife said this might be stopping it engaging.

Spanish

Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User

My 2nd was still "floating" at a -3 when I was 10 cms dilated. I pushed her ALL that way. LOL. So, yes, it's very possible. Oddly enough, my water never broke either, and I was 10 cm's. They had to break it for me, and her cord prolapsed. It came out doubled up beside her head and caused all kinds of scary drops in heart rate. Luckily it only took me 9 minutes to push her out.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

That's good encouragement. Spanish, Right now he is sideways, facing the right. It's hard to be patient after all this time, isn't it?!

Old 07-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

you bet! I've just spent half an hour of the phone to a friend whilst on my knees leaning over the bed...my knees are going to be so sore! I hope it's worth it.

I do at least have an end date now - I'm booked for induction next Wednesday if nothing happens naturally before then. At least I know our baby will be born by the end of next week.

Spanish

Old 07-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #8
    InDueTime05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

InDueTime05 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spanish
    I hope so as I'm five days overdue and my baby is still at -3!! The midwife told me that labour can start without the baby being engaged and it would drop in once the contractions got going. Which direction is your baby facing? Mine is back to my back and the midwife said this might be stopping it engaging.

Spanish
    My DD was like this too. She came out backwards. Like her face is facing towards your back??? Well anyway, I'm not sure which way they are suppose to come out but my DD was opposite lol. That HURT!
    Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
    Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Closed Thread