It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• afrin usage while pregnant

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
    theb1971

theb1971 HB User
    afrin usage while pregnant

hopefully someone can pleeeaaasse give me some advice. Let me first start by saying I suffer from extreme allergies and sinutisis (spell?) all my life!!!

I have had allergy shots, sinus surgery, you name it. I am hoping to get pregnant and may even be at this time but it is to soon to tell. here is my problem I use and am hooked on afrin nose spray. Now pleeeaaasse dont give me the advice that its addictive and I need to get off of it. I wish it was that easy...I have tried so many times before and its hell and I never become compeltely clear!! I had read that afrin used while pregnant is not bad and nothign to be to concerned over, but then I have dug deeper and some say it can be harmful. Can someone please inform me as to the risks and how great they are for using it while pregnant. I plan on only using at night to sleep and just suffering through the day but I have to sleep!! I tried to not use it last night and did not sleep for even 5 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem or known anyone who has and used afrin and the baby was ok...no complications. I have made myself physically ill over this. please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
    basstracker1970
    (female)

basstracker1970 HB User
    Re: afrin usage while pregnant

Hello, I too have been addicted to nose spray. When I found out I was pregnant I just quit, cold turkey. Let me tell you it was extremely hard. I had a major sinus headace for a whole week and I couldnt breathe for at least 1 1/2 to 2 weeks due to the terrible congestion. There is no easy way to do this.... There is a kit you can buy online that is supposed to help you stop you can find it by searching under yahoo nasal spray addiction. If you do get off this awful ---- do not ever and i mean ever use it again because the addiction will come right back. Sorry you are going through this I know it is really miserable...

Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
    AJThompson
    (female)

AJThompson HB User

I am 9 weeks pregnant and am also addicted to nose spray. I have to go back in 2 weeks and I am going to check with the doctor to make sure. I will let you know what she tells me. I understand completely the difficulty in trying to stop using nose spray.....it is not easy by any means.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #4
    theb1971

theb1971 HB User

AJ please do post after you see your dr. I will be interested to hear, and good luck to you!!

If this helps any my dr put me on rhinocort once a day (which is safe during pregnancy) and I dont use the afrin unless I absolutely have to at night and then I have a diluted bottle I use just so I can sleep. The rhinocort really does help throughout the day with the rebound congestion, although nothing helps completely like the afrin does but during the day I can deal with it. But at night I spray the diluted just to sleep. Like I said keep me posted on what the result of your dr visit is. Im glad to hear Im not alone.

Closed Thread