It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Nuchal Fold - Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
    BrendanZ
    (male)

BrendanZ HB User
    Nuchal Fold - Help!

Hi.
    This is our first child and we had a nuchal fold measurement of 4.4 at 14 weeks. A CVS and blood tests a week later came back clear of any abnormalities, but the 16 week scan came back at 8.8 but the heart scan is fine.
    Does this mean their is defeinitely something wrong?
    A high probabability?
    Has anyone had nuchail fold scan levels around this and given birth to a competely normal baby.
    We are going for another scan at 20 weeks but we are finding this absolute hell! It is supposed to be a joyous time in our lives but we are knotted with worry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
    Sherbet
    Veteran
    (female)

Sherbet HB User
    Re: Nuchal Fold - Help!

Hiya....

The nuchal fold test is a bit scary huh! I had that test done as I was considered "at risk" of having a downs baby (I'm only 29, but knocking on 30 very quickly).

What they should have told you is given the measurement, what risk you pose having a downs baby. I believe my scan was 5mm (at 12wks) which is larger than yours. They calculted my risk to be 1:3,444 (or 1 chance in three thousand or so babies) and given that I don't have downs in the family as well they re-calculated my risk as 1:6,545. According to their list of odds this was classed as a "LOW RISK" result. They didn't re-measure the fold at my 20 week scan but I can imagine that with growth the fold should get bigger right? (I am now 24wks)

What you need to do is phone your LMC (or lead maternity carer - midwife/gyno/GP) and ask them to give you the results in terms of what risk is there of having a downs baby. Remember tho this is an "educated guess" they are doing and is not fool-proof. If you think you truly are at risk then an AMNIO test will be recommended which is pretty much 100% accurate (give or take some small margin of error)

I'm a big believer in the fact that we know too much these days about our pregnancies with the nuchal fold test being a prime example - there is probably absolutely nothing to worry about but we still do worry right!!!! I hope this is helpful, let us know if you have any problems.

Bye for now

Old 08-14-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I have read (and my ob has told me) that the nuchal fold measurement should not be done after 12 wks 6 days. It does not give accurate results after that. Given the other tests you have had I think your baby is fine. CVS is very accurate, much like the amnio. Try not to worry!

Old 09-11-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
    BrendanZ
    (male)

BrendanZ HB User

I thought I would update this for anyone else out there who ends up in a similar situation.
    We couldn't wait until 20 weeks so we saw a genetic councellor who interpretted the results. It turns out if it had just been the nuchal fold that they would not have worried but the baby also had acites (fluid build ups) around the abdomen and head. We were told that that the chances of the pregnancy being normal were now remote and that it was highly probably that the baby would die very soon or with the first month of being born. The genetic concellor was fantastic by the way. We were advised to wait until the definitive 20 week scans and if as expected things were bad they would do extensive further testing to identify what the genetic abnormality was so that in future they could detect it at the 12 week mark for futire pregnancies.
    So we had another month of hell and then turned up for the 20 week scan prepared for the worst.
    We got lucky! At 20 weeks the nuchal fold was still raised at 6.8 (down from 8.8 but slightly above the 6.0 high end of norm they like) but all the scans were normal. No evidence of fluid build up or any other problems what so ever. All results were in normal range. The consultants are now saying that the nuchal fold, as downs has already been eliminated, is likey just a variation of the norm and we are expecting a baby girl in January.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I'm so glad everything turned out okay. What a scary time that must have been. Congrats on your baby girl!

Old 09-11-2005, 06:33 AM   #6
    friday13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friday13 HB User

BrendanZ - wow what a difficult time you have had. but now you can be HAPPY that all is well !! YEAH!!

I am SOOOO happy for you.

Friday

Old 09-11-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
    Jellyjam
    (female)

Jellyjam HB User

Thanks for the update!
    We have had a somewhat similar experience with this pregnancy (I am also due in January.)
    I'm 34, the nuchal was done at 13w/3 days.
    The baby's neck measurement was in the 95th percentile putting us at a 1/200 chance of Down's, we saw a genetic counsellor who recommended a level II U.S. and the "triple test"
    The triple test/AFP results came back fantastic! But we had a hard time putting any faith in the results because of the poor reputation that this test has. My dr. initially told me not to bother with the triple test because the results would most likely be inaccurate because of my advanced (ha ha ha) age.
    So... the level II. Lovely pictures of the baby all around, including a normal neck measurement and a clear photo of the nasal bone (Down's marker) BUT, two cysts on the brain! Trisomy 18 marker (something new to worry about!), but there was some good news, too: no club feet, open and waving fingers, functioning heart valves and proper bone length measurements....
    The genetic counsellor told us that cysts are found in 1% of babies and that the baby is most likely fine. An amnio was offered, but I declined. My husband and I talked about amnios long before and decided that a miscarriage after an amnio would be too heart-breaking!
    So, because of all of these crazy tests, this has been a stressful pregnancy. Next time (if there is one) I will get the amnio done ASAP and nothing else!!!!!! All of these "screening" tests with their wishy-washy "maybe/possibly/we don't really know" answers have made us both worry way too much! (And possibly for no reason!)
    Sorry for the long post!
    Good luck everybody!

Closed Thread