It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Baby measuring small. *Worried*

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2005, 07:48 AM   #1
    sumi
    Inactive
    (female)

sumi HB User
    Baby measuring small. *Worried*

Hello everyone,
    I am currently 36 weeks and today at my appointment my doctor said I am measuring very small and she ordered an ultra sound. Now keep in mind I am only 5ft and was 95lbs when I got pregnant. So I am a small person.
    BUT, if you remember we had a small scare with our AFP results which indicated a 1/200 chance of Downs Syndrome. We did the level II ultra sound which was perfect in every way and showed no reason for concern. Our Genetics Doctor advised against an amnio since we were already 20 weeks and there were no markers from the ultra sound. Plus we would not terminate in the event something was wrong.So in the back of my mind the chance is always present and not a day goes by that I don't think about it. Today when the doctor said the baby is measuring small my heart sank once again. She told me not to worry and nothing was wrong but I am so stressed out. I don't understand? Why is she not growing? Could this be an indication of Downs? Please someone if you know help me. I am going for an ultra sound on Thursday and I am terrified they will tell me something is wrong with my little angel.
    Instead of being excited to see her I am scared and don't want to go. What mother am I going to be? I don't even want to give birth because I am afraid to bring her into this world incase something is wrong. At least if she is in me I can protect her. How sad and sick is that?
    Sorry guys, I am so sorry to vent but I can't talk to anyone as I don't want to worry my family or friends.
    Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
    friday13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friday13 HB User
    Re: Baby measuring small. *Worried*

Sumi - I think you should call someone at the Ob's office and ask your question if measuring small can possibly mean DS. I don't know I haven't done any research on this but I am sure since you are tiny - its probably that you will have a smaller baby.

What were your measurements when you were born?

Please call them it will make you feel better - and maybe they can put you in touch with the counselor and get your questions answered and you will feel much better. As for wanting the baby to stay in your tummy if something is wrong - that is not a crazy thing to feel - I feel its normal and protecting...

XX please call....

Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
    Gayle0000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Sumi...did you ask for a clarification on what "small" means? I think you should call back and get a clarification before you stress out too bad.

At my last Dr. appointment (I was at 35 weeks then), my doctor told me he thought the baby would be small. I was also told he definitely wants another sonogram here at the end to double-check her weight. I was very surprised as everything has been very normal so far with the pregnancy. He left the room & I put on the sheet for the internal.

When he came back, I asked him what "small" meant exactly, and he told me..."Oh, somewhere in the 7 pound range". I thought 7 lbs seemed pretty normal and he agreed. He explained that anymore, babies are being born bigger, and as long as the baby is less than 10 lbs, it's considered average. 6 and 7 lbs is on the small end these days.

I still haven't had my final sono to determine the weight...I'm in my 37th week now and maybe tomorrow he will have me schedule it. Just thought I'd share my story. You should call back & ask them to explain a little more.
    Gayle

Old 08-23-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
    sumi
    Inactive
    (female)

sumi HB User

At my last appt. the doctor told me she would be small meaning 5-6lbs at the most. Today when she measured me she said I hadn't grown very much from my last appointment which was 3 weeks ago. That's why she ordered another ultra sound. Even though I gained like 5lbs my baby did not seem to grow much. Both my husband and I were small babies. His mother told me he was 5.5lbs when he was born and I was 6lbs.

Last edited by sumi; 08-23-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

When I was pregnant with my last I was measuring "small" toward the end of my pregnancy. She was born 7 lbs. 12 oz. I just think her position changed and she was down a lot lower. Doctors estimates of weights have been known to be way off. I would not be too concerned.

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 08-23-2005 at 09:02 AM.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
    weepyone
    Inactive
    (female)

weepyone HB User

sumi
    it is not sad or sick to worry about your baby i am in week 9 and fret about the health of my baby already that is because it is normal to want to protect your child and for him/her to be born healthy i am sure no mother prays her child will have health problems. I don't know about small babies being a sign of downs, but as you are only a dot yourself it would be more worrying if you were carrying a wopper of a baby how would you get him out lol ouch. Hope you and baby will be super fine.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:43 AM   #7
    Annabella pearl
    (female)

Annabella pearl HB User

Hi
    I have a baby boy he was born 4pounds and 10 1/2 ounces, he was born 6 weeks early his is two now he is active and healthy. I'm not that tall I'm 4f 8" he did stay in the hosptial for two and a half weeks but now you can't even tell. so I wouldn't worry about it

Old 08-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
    malizoom
    (female)

malizoom HB User

I'm also 37 weeks and measuring small. I'm not too upset by it for a few reasons. First of all, ultrasounds are not the best way to determine weight and there is a large margin of error. Also, a smaller baby isn't neccessarily an unhealthy baby. I also get the feeling that they are easier to push than those 10 pounders. Don't worry too much.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
    friday13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friday13 HB User

Ultrasounds are not very good at determining weight.

my MIL (who is 100% japanese) I don't know if different natioal origins tend to have smaller babes or not ... had my hubby full term at 4.5 lbs! And he is a big guy now! Very healthy. She had to give him 1 teaspoon of rice cereal in his formula each night to help him gain some weight - but he has no problems or allergies or anything!

Maybe you just have small babies that run in your family and also - the u/s definitly can be wrong - so you may be having a 7 pound baby! I wish the u/s tests were much more accurate with weight.

Keep us posted please!

Closed Thread