It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Root canal dilema.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User
    Root canal dilema.

I had an abses blow up on me a few months ago (I was 10 weeks then). I spent the night in the hospital because I was in so much pain. The next day they did what is called an open and drain, to open the absess, and let it drain. In the process I had to have an x-ray and get put on anti-biotics. The OB at the hospital (and my own doctor agreed) had explained that the infection from the absess could cause more damage to the baby and my pregnancy then the x-ray, and that I had to have it done. Normally they recommend "elective" dental procedures wait until after the pregnancy, but I just wasn't in a position to wait.

Anyway, they packed it with a temporary filling stuff and said that if I can wait until after the baby to do the root canal, great, but if not, then I'd have to go ahead and get the rest of it done.

Anyway, I broke down and made an appointment for tomorrow because the tooth is getting increasingly more and more sensitve. That, and most of the filling stuff has come out, leaving me with a giant hole in my tooth (which in itself is annoying).

My doctor said it's ok to get the root canal done now, and has even OKed the x-rays (as long as I'm burried in the lead aprons). I even checked with the office and they don't use adrenalin in the freezing, and I've stopped my blood thinners in preperation. I really have to get it done, but I'm scared. I don't know if I should try to hold out for as long as I can (which honestly wouldn't be very much longer). My doctor said NOT to get the x-rays in the third trimester, so I either get it done soon, or I have to wait until after delivery. Dilema dilema!

What should I do??

I had some **** facisously tell me the other day that I should just brush my teeth instead, and now I feel compelled to defend myself (because I DO have good oral hygine). I got knocked in the face about a year and a half ago loading a horse onto a trailer and it knocked a filling out. When I got the filling replaced the dentist told me then that when this happens, sometimes it can result in hairline fractures to the tooth (which don't show up on the x-rays), which can lead to root infection. Being that this is ME we're talking about, it happened of course, resulting in my now root canal dilema.

So now I'm looking at possibly TWO x-rays during my pregnancy. OI!! Is that bad?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
    Erin619
    (female)

Erin619 HB User
    Re: Root canal dilema.

I'm sorry you are going through the agony of a toothache like that. I understand what you are feeling. I need a root canal also. I went in last week to have it done because the pain is so unbearable, but I ended up with a temporary filling as well. They cannot give you the same novacaine that they would normally because it causes your blood vessels to constrict. Well, the novacaine they can give you is a joke. I was crying from the pain even after two shots of it. I ended up telling the dentist it wasn't worth it and I would just deal with it until after I give birth. I know the pain is awful but if you are the kind of person ( like myself) who needs a lot of novacaine to make yourself numb I don't think it's a very good idea. I could feel the cold from the water and the air blowing and it was terrible. Sorry to tell you this. It could be different for you. If you decide to do it I hope it's not too bad.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erin619
    They cannot give you the same novacaine that they would normally because it causes your blood vessels to constrict.
    That's the adrenalin. When I spoke to the girl in the office she said they haven't used adrenalin in their anesthetic in about 7 years. They have a new "better" kind.

When I had the temporary filling they used the adrenalin free stuff and it was fine. He had to give me an extra shot, but once that kicked in I didn't feel anything.

I'm nervous about the dentist ANYWAY, so this makes it even more stressfull.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
    friday13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friday13 HB User

Can you keep getting temporary fillings? If you have the temporary filling in - does it stop aching? is it only aching because your temp filling is coming out>?

I am SO sorry - I have had two root canals and this is not fun for you to deal with at all - regarding the pain and the stress of worrying on top of it.

XXOO Friday

Old 11-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

It sounds like you really need to have the root canal. I was recently at the dentist and he told me he would not have a problem doing x-rays while pregnant. He told me it is safe and baby is very well protected with the lead apron. He does use a different kind of novacaine than he normally uses. One that does not increase the baby's heart rate. Can they do the root canal without the x-rays (if that would make you feel better)?

Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #6
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

I don't know if a filling would help stop the aching. It did at first, but since most of it has come out now, I'm affraid that the nerves have been exposed which is what's making it sensitive now. This sucks.

I'm gunna ask tomorrow if the filling would get me by again, but the thing is, is that the doc said NO x-rays in the third trimester, and I don't think the filling would get me by for the next 19 weeks (I'm 21 weeks now).

Old 11-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

The novacine that everyone refers to that is bad, is the kind with adrenalin in it. Luckily my dentist dosn't use novocaine with adrenalin in it anyway.

Wish me luck, I'm going for it tomorrow!!

Old 11-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

A filling will not stop the pain. It goes way deeper than that. Believe me, I've had 3 root canals (and I brush my teeth, go figure! lol). Good luck. It's best to have it done now than suffer until after the baby is born. Why no x-rays in the 3rd trimester?

Old 11-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

I didn't ask about the x-rays in the third trimester. Isn't that always the way though? You remember the questions to ask AFTER you've hung up the phone.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

HOLEY CRAP!!

My doctor said no adrenalin, but she didn't say anything about epinephrin!! So I get to the dentist and he says "so if you don't want adrenalin, I suppose you don't want epinephrin either?".

OH...MY...WORD.

I just had a root canal done with baby ambesol gel as my anesthetic. My knuckles are STILL white from clutching the side of the chair. I think if I can make it through THAT, I may be able to give birth without an epidural. LOL.

It doesn't hurt so much now, although it's a little achey. I took my T3's (as per my OB) and am going to lay down, but I wanted to post an update.

I did end up getting an x-ray about half way through to make sure they got the whole root. He said he wants to follow up after the baby is born with more x-rays and a crown, but I should be good for now. I also got a filling - no more hole in my tooth!!

Old 11-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
    friday13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friday13 HB User

AHHHHH! ugh! My teeth hurt from your story!!

I am sooooo glad you got it done though! Goodness - I hope you have a speedy recovery!!
    xxoo friday

Old 11-17-2005, 06:52 PM   #12
    Border3899
    (female)

Border3899 HB User

I'm glad to hear you got the root canal if left untreated it could have been worse. I actually have had 2 root canals and an Apiechtomy or root end resection surgery this pregnancy because i was having so much pain in a tooth. Both my doctor and the dentist said it had to be done. I was worried about having the oral surgery because they use about 10 times more novicaine than they do during normal procedures but thankfully i'm 33 weeks pregnant now and everything is fine with the baby....I would strongly advise any woman who is pregnant and having dental problems to get them taken care of especially if it could involve infection or abcess!

Old 11-24-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
    angie22
    (female)

angie22 HB User

Hi guys. I'm going to the dentist in half an hour and i'm kind of scared. Lat time when I was prego I was eating a sandwich and when I took one bite a small part of one of my tooth fell- lol so I got that fixed asap. Now with my second pregnacy I feel already some pain in only one tooth and it hurts when I dring something really hot or really cold, plus it smells not very nice. Hope is not something too bad like root canal .
    I'll keep you guys posted when I will come back

Old 11-24-2005, 11:32 AM   #14
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Awe, poor girl. I totally feel your pain!! I really do!

Old 11-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
    angie22
    (female)

angie22 HB User

Hi guys, the dentist said ROOT CANAL I had the x-ray today and it looks pretty bad. They also started to clean my gums and I am ok with that - Ican really tell they cleaned my right bottom side it fells like new teeth. I was so scared that the cleaning is going to hurt too or maybe one of a sudden I have really high pain tollerance
    The best part is that I am covered 80% thru my employer. By the way North_of_60 how much did it cost you the whole deal if you don't mind?

Closed Thread