It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Baby's position

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User
    Baby's position

At my 24 week doctors appointment today she said the baby is sitting really low in a head down position. She said that at this point she can still flip around a ton of times, but she still asked me if I've had any bleeding or leaking of fluid (which I haven't) but I did tell her about those weird "cramp/contraction" things I had the other day (which I still can't tell are gas pains or BH).

She didn't seem too concerned, but she did tell me to take it easy and she wants me to keep the office pager number handy. :blink:

I don't know what to make of it. At first it didn't bother me because she said they still move around a lot and that she can change positions a bunch of times before delivery, but now everytime I have any sort of feeling down there I stop what I'm doing and concentrate on it. It's gunna drive me nuts. I'm paranoid now.

Is this normal this early or am I worrying over nothing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
    Mommie-2-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
    Re: Baby's position

I have been carrying very low from very early on. My doctor said it's because I am really short and I don't have much of a torso. My son's head is positioned down too.

I would FLIP MY LID if my doctor started asking me questions like that. I don't think it's fair to put that stress on you. Of course you're going to keep her information handy, all preggers do!! LOL Is there possibly another reason she's telling you to take it easy?

Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

My mom said same thing as you, about how she shouldn't have alarmed me, but I didn't really take it like that. LOL. She wasn't alarming at all, just asked (while she was palpating me) if I've had any bleeding or leaking. That was the end of it. Then she went on to tell me that the baby's head was about the size of a large orange and that she was sitting low head down.

Maybe the "take it easy" part was just a general comment. "Ok, take it easy now". I don't know. LOL

I'm only paranoid because I thought for the first time the other day I was experiencing BH's, although it seems from everything I've been reading that they were just gas pains. So now I'm VERY aware of everything.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
    Mommie-2-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Well, I'm a freak so it would have alarmed me!! LOL

Old 12-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
    angie22
    (female)

angie22 HB User

I'll be 26 weeks thursday and i felt my baby turning head down on saturday and when I went to the doc yesterday they confirmed she did moved head down. But last night she turned back in her breeck position and after only 2 hours moved head down again. I am also carrying very low , there are no concerns for now. I love that being prego the second time I can really tell when something it is happening especially when I'm right . Just enjoy this time girls. My son turned head down about 24 weeks too and I had him at 41 weeks - normal birth. Take care

Old 12-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
    jriegel

jriegel HB User

carrying low is often called engagement, when the baby moves down into the lower region of the abdomen. i said this before in another post, engagement (as well as effacment - when the cervix is spread smooth over the baby's head instead of a little tube/neck into the birth canal like normal) is no way to guage or determine how much longer until labor. along those lines, it doesn't necessarily indicate an early labor, either. you could still have an early labor, for other reasons, but engagement and effacement can't tell you when it's going to happen. also, BH's are your body's way of stretching and preparing your cervix for labor - ever so slightly. until the real big ones hit. as uncomfortable as it may be, with worry and all, try to look at it as a blessing, since you're body is getting warmed up and getting your cervix and uterine muscles used to that movement and stretching.

i imagine your doctor was double checking about leaking any fluids or blood since when the mucus plug from the cervix releases it often is tinged with blood. she may have been wondering if you'd seen that yet or to help you be on the look out for it. but if you haven't yet - no worries!

Last edited by jriegel; 12-07-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
    Fullfire
    Inactive
    (female)

Fullfire HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mommie-2-B
    I have been carrying very low from very early on. My doctor said it's because I am really short and I don't have much of a torso. My son's head is positioned down too.

I would FLIP MY LID if my doctor started asking me questions like that. I don't think it's fair to put that stress on you. Of course you're going to keep her information handy, all preggers do!! LOL Is there possibly another reason she's telling you to take it easy?

Same as I. My baby moved turned around and moved down fairly early. I have a very short torse so there is not a whole lot of room. I read that 32 + is usually when the baby turns around and starts dropping. My little one has been turned around since around 25 weeks, is not earlier. In the last 3 weeks or more she has dropped. She is quite low now at 32 weeks. I wouldn't worry so much. I know women who lost thier plug around 28 weeks, which is pretty early and they had a baby at 40 weeks. It is alot like the turning and dropping. Some women drop very early espcially if it is thier first. Some women drop 4-6 weeks before they go into labour.Every one is different. I love having her low, I can breath easier and my back feels alot better.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #8
    Mommie-2-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

The only problem with carrying this low is that it's like you have a basketball between your legs. It's IMPOSSIBLE to cross your legs! I look like a man most of the time LOL

Old 12-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
    friday13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friday13 HB User

Better than having your organs mushed to your neck and your ribs KILLING you! I would take the low laying basketball anyday! LOL!! I guess we all want what we don't have....heehee

friday

Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
    Mommie-2-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Very true Friday. However, I forgot to mention the enormous pressure on my pelvis for months! It's like I'm getting stabbed everytime I try to walk! Small detail I forgot

Old 12-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jriegel
    carrying low is often called engagement, when the baby moves down into the lower region of the abdomen. i said this before in another post, engagement (as well as effacment - when the cervix is spread smooth over the baby's head instead of a little tube/neck into the birth canal like normal) is no way to guage or determine how much longer until labor.
    I would think it's impossible to determine the state of my cervix without an internal exam. I did not have an internal, she only palpated my belly. She did not use the terms "engaged" or "dropped" or "efaced".

Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 AM   #12
    jriegel

jriegel HB User

yeah, it sounds like she's not too worried about where you're at. too bad she didn't seem to have the bedside manner and skip the questions that made you worry! hope everything is going ok for you.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

I like my doctor and her bedside manner, and I appreciate her asking me those questions.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
    jriegel

jriegel HB User

sorry. i wasn't intending it to be read as a negative thing. i'm glad you have a doctor you are connected with and feel comfortable with, i know that's incredibly important

Old 12-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #15
    Border3899
    (female)

Border3899 HB User

I had my 36 week appointment yesterday and was told my baby has settled head down into my pelvis. Actually he's pretty much been head down since like 28 weeks at least at all the U/S's.

Closed Thread